Honolulu transportation

Cherokee56

We will be sailing the Star Princess in February. My husband wants to see Pearl Harbor AND Bowfin. Then we want to see Waikiki. What is the best way to travel from the ship to the sites? Are there any hop off hop on companies? Shuttles from the cruise ship? Private car companies?

Debbie

Assuming you only have one day, 8-5, or something like that? If so, rent a car. Taxi would be next best, in terms of effective time use. Keep in mind Pearl is half a day, and it is one direction from the ship, about 15 minutes or so, then Waikiki is the other direction from the ship, and 15 or so minutes.

There are many venders listed on this board for all sorts of transport. But car or taxi are going to be the most effective for you.

Assuming you only have one day, 8-5, or something like that? If so, rent a car. Taxi would be next best, in terms of effective time use. Keep in mind Pearl is half a day, and it is one direction from the ship, about 15 minutes or so, then Waikiki is the other direction from the ship, and 15 or so minutes.

There are many venders listed on this board for all sorts of transport. But car or taxi are going to be the most effective for you.

I agree with this assessment. If you're comfortable driving in unfamiliar places, a rental car is absolutely the best idea. Taxis are expensive and not all are licensed to drop off at Pearl Harbor. We had a dismal experience with one of the transportation companies and if I had it to do over again, I would absolutely go the rental car route.

Pearl Harbor is a stone's throw from the port...but difficult to get there on public transportation. A fellow cruiser took the bus and said that her time was more valuable that the almost free $ ride. I always recommend renting a car. There's the port, the airport, and then Pearl Harbor (maybe 7.5 miles?). I have a car in Honolulu so not sure what the shuttle arrangements are for picking up a car from Aloha Towers.

Now the planning. If you do want to visit Pearl Harbor, go to the Arizona Website for reservations. The Arizona is free but the cost of the reservation is $1.50 per ticket. I was there in November. When I arrived at noon, they still had tickets available for 1:15. I've also been there by 10 and all the tickets for the day were given out. One of the more sobering experiences is the shuttle launch out to the memorial. You are very limited to what you can take into the National Park, but there are lockers outside.

Driving is really not that difficult. You may encounter traffic. From Pearl Harbor to Waikiki can be crazy. Parking in Waikiki is expensive, but there are a few parking metered places toward the Diamond Head end of the beach. Patience is the key to driving in Honolulu.

Displaced local girl

Edited by cr8tiv1

When my wife and I did this same trip on the Golden Princess a few years ago, we took a taxi over to Pearl Harbor. Everyone getting off the ship was going there, and the taxi dispatcher was loading people into 7 passenger taxi vans. At the time the total fare was $35, and that included tip. So each passenger paid only $5. It was a bargain, and it got us to Pearl Harbor by 8AM.

Going back into Honolulu we took the City Bus. It stops on the street just past the Pearl Harbor parking lot. Just follow the blue line on the sidewalk up to the highway, turn left, and the bus stop is right there. The cost for that was $2.50, and I believe that's still the fare for the bus. It took us all the way back downtown Honolulu, where we had lunch then toured Iolani Palace. Then we took another city bus out to Waikiki for the afternoon.

When my wife and I did this same trip on the Golden Princess a few years ago, we took a taxi over to Pearl Harbor. Everyone getting off the ship was going there, and the taxi dispatcher was loading people into 7 passenger taxi vans. At the time the total fare was $35, and that included tip. So each passenger paid only $5. It was a bargain, and it got us to Pearl Harbor by 8AM.

Going back into Honolulu we took the City Bus. It stops on the street just past the Pearl Harbor parking lot. Just follow the blue line on the sidewalk up to the highway, turn left, and the bus stop is right there. The cost for that was $2.50, and I believe that's still the fare for the bus. It took us all the way back downtown Honolulu, where we had lunch then toured Iolani Palace. Then we took another city bus out to Waikiki for the afternoon.

I agree that this is a good way to maximize time to tour the Honolulu area. We took The Bus to Pearl Harbor & had plenty of time at the Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri. On the way back my wife went to shop at Ala Moana shopping center & me to the ship. We were in port until 11:00 PM & had plenty of time to enjoy the Honolulu area.

A recent USA Today survey listed Honolulu as the 2nd worst city for traffic behind only LA so driving can be difficult.

I agree that this is a good way to maximize time to tour the Honolulu area. We took The Bus to Pearl Harbor & had plenty of time at the Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri. On the way back my wife went to shop at Ala Moana shopping center & me to the ship. We were in port until 11:00 PM & had plenty of time to enjoy the Honolulu area.

A recent USA Today survey listed Honolulu as the 2nd worst city for traffic behind only LA so driving can be difficult.

Initially we were going to take The Bus both ways to Pearl Harbor. But we decided to take a taxi to the Memorial instead to get us there faster and beat the tour bus crowds. It worked perfectly. We were at Pearl Harbor at 8AM, and received tickets for the 8:15AM tour. (This was before you could get tickets in advance.)

The rest of the day we took The Bus since we weren't in a hurry. It's a great system, and goes everywhere for a cheap price.

Initially we were going to take The Bus both ways to Pearl Harbor. But we decided to take a taxi to the Memorial instead to get us there faster and beat the tour bus crowds. It worked perfectly. We were at Pearl Harbor at 8AM, and received tickets for the 8:15AM tour. (This was before you could get tickets in advance.)

The rest of the day we took The Bus since we weren't in a hurry. It's a great system, and goes everywhere for a cheap price.

I agree & if we do it again would take a cab to get a faster start to beat the PH crowds. We were there during the very slow early December time & arrived on The Bus at about 10:00 & got tender tickets for 10:30. But for most of the year that probably isn't the norm & a cab to beat the crowds is the best option.

Renting a car takes time plus finding parking in Honolulu is a problem. If I wanted to go to areas outside of Honolulu then I'd rent a car but not for the Honolulu area including PH & Waikiki where The Bus is a great option.

Edited by Astro Flyer