Port stops on a west bound Panama Canal cruise

GoneJohnson

Hello,

I am cruising next March it's a 21 day Panama Canal cruise with about a dozen port stops. I am trying to find out how accessible or walkable a port is from the ship. I can cover a lot of ground in my power chair but need semi decent roads, sidewalks... it goes over a 2" bump easy.

I might rent a van to go further if walking to something is not possible.

The only two tendered ports are first stop - Half Moon Cay private island and last - Cabo San Lucas.

Please provide any info or comments you can...

how far is walking to 'town' in the ports attached?

PortStops.jpg.0ca4f3a616fc7d4cd186c516fbac4a88.jpg

TripMapPortStops.jpg.ba6c7fba1c2ceeeb54cd39b58ba23d26.jpg

Edited by GoneJohnson

Sorry, I could not get a decent sized image and can't edit now.

Here are the port stops I am interested in...

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas - tendered no go...

Willemstad, Curacao

Kralendijk, Bonaire

Oranjestad, Aruba Oranjestad, Aruba

Cartagena, Colombia

Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas), Costa Rica

Corinto, Nicaragua

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico

Huatulco, Mexico

Mazatlan, Mexico

I have been to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas

Edited by GoneJohnson

If you are the only ship at Half Moon Cay, or if two ships are on the one using the island tenders, then you can get ashore there.

These are large vessels, with a ramp to change levels (you use the upper level at the ship, and the lower level at the island). The only question is what would you do once you got to the island. It is a beach, so your power chair would be fine in the entry area, and you could enjoy the first cabana (there's a handicap entrance to that one cabana), but you couldn't do too much else there---unless you have some mobility.

I'm not very familiar with the remaining ports, so can't give any information there.

On Half Moon Cay there is the path to the picnic area - buffet. I believe the paths are good enough you could do a pretty good circuit.

Willemstadt Curacao is pretty flat. And picturesque. I think you could at least motor around and across the floating bridge and look around.

Aruba is also flat, you can also motor around there, too.

Puerto Quetzal is a small commercial port, the only excursions on a bus 1-1/2 hours to Antigua, Guatemala. A lovely colonial city, but not at all HC friendly. Big cobblestones, steps, etc.

I have not been to Puerto Chiapas in six years, but it was a port created for tourism, and there was a pavilion with lots of crafts stalls, and a sunken area for native dance shows. In a separate building an bar/restaurant with lovely pool in front. There were also dancers performing as you got off the ship. EM

Could not find Mazatlan Frank's website anymore (we used to rent a lift van and tour with him when we were there), but I found this company instead: http://www.mazinfo.com/owntour/index.htm

You are a good ways from the tourist areas (Gold Coast) in Mazatlan at the pier...it is a fairly industrial area, and not good for walking. The boat to Stone Island is nearby, but this is not accessible.

Sorry, I could not get a decent sized image and can't edit now.

Here are the port stops I am interested in...

Willemstad, Curacao - Lovely town, even terrain

Oranjestad, Aruba Oranjestad, Aruba - we walked through the small town, nice but not as interesting as Willemstad

Cartagena, Colombia - industrial port, our ship docked in walking distance to a shop which forms the exit and entrance to the port, tiny wooded area behind it with lots of interesting birds. If you want to see the city, arrange for transportation beforehand. It's a fascinating city.

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico nice port area in the middle of nowhere, some shops, a restaurant and a dance group

Huatulco, Mexico - small village right at the dock, restaurants overlooking the beach

Since we walked, I cannot tell you about high curbs or obstacles we did not notice, but I do not remember any major obstacles such as steps and stairs.

Thank you all for the input you have already provided. Last year in Puerto Vallarta I had a van drop me off down on the Malacon and he came back in 3 hours. I needed 4 or 5 or 6 hrs. Renting vans will be 50/60 plus an hour and that will add up fast. So finding the ports I can walk from the cruise ship will be good. Then if I find something I can't miss renting transportation is an option.

Edited by GoneJohnson

These are large vessels, with a ramp to change levels (you use the upper level at the ship, and the lower level at the island). The only question is what would you do once you got to the island. It is a beach, so your power chair would be fine in the entry area, and you could enjoy the first cabana (there's a handicap entrance to that one cabana), but you couldn't do too much else there---unless you have some mobility.
I have seen and under stand how the ramp can adjust/change levels but everything I read says you use a tender to get to the island itself? Then other than sand it claims to be ADA compliant. I can't use a tender. Do the cruise ships dock so you can walk off without the use of a tender? HAL says it's tendered. I'm in a big electric power chair and can not stand.

Thanks,

I have seen and under stand how the ramp can adjust/change levels but everything I read says you use a tender to get to the island itself? Then other than sand it claims to be ADA compliant. I can't use a tender. Do the cruise ships dock so you can walk off without the use of a tender? HAL says it's tendered. I'm in a big electric power chair and can not stand.

Thanks,

If you are referring to Half Moon Cay, I think what they are attempting to tell you is that the tender is wheelchair accessible. It is a type that you can roll on and off of, thus you will be able to tender to the island. It is an easy island to maneuver around; you should not have any problems, just stay on the solid (hard) ground. Enjoy the barbecue. They are usually very good. The tourist trap (straw market) is about the same as the other ports, but still fun to snoop through.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

If you are referring to Half Moon Cay, I think what they are attempting to tell you is that the tender is wheelchair accessible. It is a type that you can roll on and off of, thus you will be able to tender to the island. It is an easy island to maneuver around; you should not have any problems, just stay on the solid (hard) ground. Enjoy the barbecue. They are usually very good. The tourist trap (straw market) is about the same as the other ports, but still fun to snoop through.
That would make sense. I've only seen the smaller tenders. Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I found another port stop question. First, The "Arubus" is this public transportation only in Aruba? Does anyone know if it can take or lift a large power chair. The photo's make it look big enough to have a lift but it might be just the bus doors. They don't mention any wheelchair accessibility help...

Planing around this char make twice the work...