What do you do in ports that are not scooter-friendly?

iuki

I have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and bursitis in both hips. Needless to say, it is difficult to walk for more than 5-10 minutes without pain. Those of you who use mobility scooters due to pain, what do you do when in ports that you are unable to use your scooter?

I am unable to use a wheelchair because of shoulder pain, and my DH has only one arm and would just be pushing me in circles. :D

Has anyone used a cane or walker to help with pain while walking and to step up onto a curb or climb a few steps? Would that help?

I plan things that are mostly riding tours. If I feel I can do something I try it. If not I wait and see what I can from the tour vehicle.

Have you tried using a rollator? It is a wheeled walked with a seat that might be of use for you. I used one until I got too bad to be able to use it. It might give you more freedom abroad than a scooter would in ports. It would fit in a taxi easily or on tour buses where your scooter can't go.

I struggle with fibro and ra....a walker would just exacerbate my arms and shoulders....I have only cruised in the caribbean so do a lot of research to get a close to a beach as possible .....I love to swim and snorkel so will push myself to do that....

There have been times That I have had to return to the ship or just stayed on the the ship. We have never been to Europe where the streets and walkways are not conducive to scooters. But I would love to see Rome and France and Portugal some day.

Cruising for me is no longer about the ports. The ship has become my destination. I choose a cruise based on the features of the ship and if I'm able to get off with my mobility scooter that just becomes a bonus.

I struggle with fibro and ra....a walker would just exacerbate my arms and shoulders....I have only cruised in the caribbean so do a lot of research to get as close to a beach as possible .....I love to swim and snorkel so will push myself to do that....

I only use a scooter on the ship but planning a med cruise with a few days in paris....i,too am concerned about safety and ability....

I plan things that are mostly riding tours. If I feel I can do something I try it. If not I wait and see what I can from the tour vehicle.

Have you tried using a rollator? It is a wheeled walked with a seat that might be of use for you. I used one until I got too bad to be able to use it. It might give you more freedom abroad than a scooter would in ports. It would fit in a taxi easily or on tour buses where your scooter can't go.

Based on Searoses' response, it looks like the rollator would not be an option. However, a cane would probably be helpful getting up steps. Your suggestion of riding tours appears to be the best option since my body can't handle a lot of walking and climbing stairs. Thanks for your input.

I struggle with fibro and ra....a walker would just exacerbate my arms and shoulders....I have only cruised in the caribbean so do a lot of research to get as close to a beach as possible .....I love to swim and snorkel so will push myself to do that....

I only use a scooter on the ship but planning a med cruise with a few days in paris....i,too am concerned about safety and ability....

That's what I was wondering about a walker. Considering how there are people who cannot walk at all, I really can't complain of walking in pain. Thanks for letting me know about your experience using a walker. I'll check into canes with a seat when I'm ready to do Europe. :D

I have been to Europe four times including visits to England, France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Russia, Norway Sweden and Denmark. I have had no bigger problems in those countries than I did in New York City. I use a travelscoot scooter and primarily use independent tours as I can explain my needs and the guide can decide if they can meet my needs. I have been very pleased with using a scooter in Europe.

That's great to hear. Gives me hope for future travel to Europe.

I have been to Europe four times including visits to England, France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Russia, Norway Sweden and Denmark. I have had no bigger problems in those countries than I did in New York City. I use a travelscoot scooter and primarily use independent tours as I can explain my needs and the guide can decide if they can meet my needs. I have been very pleased with using a scooter in Europe.

Katisdale....I have been trying to remember your name knowing you have traveled extensively....in researching scooters for a few days in paris and an 11 day cruise I see there are now scooters available that break down!....that has made me much more confident that I will be able to use a taxi....I know many people go on long day trips with others from the roll call but I don't think I want to be that person who slows everyone down nor do I want to be off the ship all day every day......I hope you don't mind if I ask questions from time to time....thank you for encouraging us!

I have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and bursitis in both hips. Needless to say, it is difficult to walk for more than 5-10 minutes without pain. Those of you who use mobility scooters due to pain, what do you do when in ports that you are unable to use your scooter?

I am unable to use a wheelchair because of shoulder pain, and my DH has only one arm and would just be pushing me in circles. :D

Has anyone used a cane or walker to help with pain while walking and to step up onto a curb or climb a few steps? Would that help?

I would highly recommend that you invest in mobility scooters. There are some that are very reasonable priced, plus most disassemble. Thus you could probably take a taxi where ever you wanted to go. The only times you might not get ashore with a mobility scooter is when the port is tendered.

We have found that outside the U.S., many of the “wheelchair” accessible taxis or private transportation are rather expensive. The public buses, metros, trains and even ho-ho buses the price is the same as the other passengers.

The big factor is for you do to your home work (research). Most of your larger cities have a tourist office and publish contact information. Send them an email with your questions. If you cannot find a tourist office, send an email to the mayor's office. Depending on my questions, I normally write to the City Tourist Office, the local transportation company or the Port Authority. I have even written to the Chief of Police. His response was very direct; he confirmed the route we wanted to take was accessible, but put emphasis on the hazards. Safety wise, probably one of the best responses we ever got. We were able to take the trip and knew what to watch out for. And we thoroughly enjoyed that outing.

As far as flying, the mobility scooters fly free of charge.

We (two of us on small scooters) made a complete “round the world trip” (combination land and sea), numerous trips to Europe and many, many Caribbean cruises.

Get mobility scooters, keep the batteries charged and limit yourselves to their time/distances. You will be very happy and will not have to endure any pain.

Enjoy your cruises,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

Hi Raindropsalways -

I do have my own personal mobility scooter and am aware that there is usually no charge for taking a scooter. The reason I was asking about walkers and canes is because many European and some Caribbean ports are not scooter-friendly. Therefore, I was inquiring about possible alternatives that people with experience using these items could tell me about their personal experiences.

The additional information you supplied are helpful. We are thinking of doing a European cruise in a couple of years, so I'm just doing research in advance in preparation before I book any cruise or shore excursions when I'm ready.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

:)

I would echo Katisdale on hiring private guides for ports where you're uncertain if you'll be able to get around.

My husband is disabled, but can walk a tiny bit and get in and out of the car himself. We just did a Baltic cruise, and hired private companies - TJ Travel for St Petersburg and Saku Travel for Tallinn (found the companies thru this site and TripAdvisor). We did extensive advance research, and learned ahead of time that neither city is particularly accessible/wheelchair friendly. We emailed our needs, limitations and interests to the private companies in advance, they were totally responsive, and mapped out wonderful tours where we saw all of the major sights firsthand (not just from afar on a tour bus). We used mostly the collapsible scooter in Tallinn (Saku guides helped find curb cuts and smoother paths in the Old Town, and drove us to other very interesting sights).

We mostly used the wheelchair in St Petersburg with the help of TJ Travel - they made sure we toured everything we wanted to see- the Hermitage, Amber Room, Peterhof and many other sites.

Both companies lifted the scooter (or wheelchair) out of the van and assembled it at each stop, and provided any other assistance we needed.

It was totally worth it and hassle-free. We were able to determine from our advance research that we could do Copenhagen, Oslo and some of the other ports on our own and we had a good time in those cities.

The accessible excursions offered by the ship in the various ports seemed to consist of bus tours, with very few opportunities to actually leave the bus and see sights firsthand. Some of these ports are once in a lifetime opportunities and we wanted to make the most of them, and private tours allowed us to do just that in cities that are not very accessible.

• 2 months later...
Hi Raindropsalways -

I do have my own personal mobility scooter and am aware that there is usually no charge for taking a scooter. The reason I was asking about walkers and canes is because many European and some Caribbean ports are not scooter-friendly. Therefore, I was inquiring about possible alternatives that people with experience using these items could tell me about their personal experiences.

The additional information you supplied are helpful. We are thinking of doing a European cruise in a couple of years, so I'm just doing research in advance in preparation before I book any cruise or shore excursions when I'm ready.

I too have fibromyalgia, arthritis, degenerative disk disease and I cannot walk or stand for long periods of time. I use a scooter because a walker or cane would not do me any good. If you are like me, once the pain sets into my back and legs, sitting down for a short period of time and then trying to walk again, is no good. Therefore, my suggestion is to stick with your scooter.

Darlene

Since January 2013 I've been to the Caribbean for a 20 day cruise, the Med for 6 day land and 12 day Greek Isle cruise, and two 14 day cruises in the Med and Baltics. By far Europe is more mobility scooter friendly than the Caribbean. At least in 2013 it was near impossible to find a private operator on most of the islands to provide a tour. An the taxi drivers won't even look at you. In fact I've had taxi operators walk away as I approached THEM to find if they could provide transportation.

My Mom is in a wheelchair, and during our Canada/New England cruise last year, we had good luck renting a minivan in each port and just driving Mom around to see the scenery. If the ports you are considering have car rental places, you might consider that option.

Hi Raindropsalways -

I don't know about Europe but in the Caribbean many of the ports have some sort of transport from the ship on the long piers to the island. Cozumel is one. Young men have pedi-cabs I think they are called. They are basically a bicycle with a seat for two behind the driver. Just tip them a few bucks. It is so worth it when some of those piers are nearly a quarter mile long. Last time we docked at St Maarten they had electric golf carts to cut down on long walks. Again I think it was $1 per person each way. Those are the only 2 ports I recall that have a service like this but there may be others.