Why do I need long pants to go cave tubing?

Cafabi

I have done my research and booked with a company that I am excited about. Several of the websites I looked at recommended wearing long pants for the cave tubing excursion (even the ones without ziplining.) Why would that be necessary? I know it is not so I will stay warm...

I have done my research and booked with a company that I am excited about. Several of the websites I looked at recommended wearing long pants for the cave tubing excursion (even the ones without ziplining.) Why would that be necessary? I know it is not so I will stay warm...

I went cave tubing in Belize in 2012 and did not wear long pants. I don't remember seeing anything about that in any of the research I did. The only reason I can think of for the recommendation would be to prevent bug bites. I honestly do not remember anyone complaining about being bitten, and I did not receive any bites during the excursion myself. It might depend on the time of year you go. Everyone in our group was in swim suits/ trunks, etc during the cave tubing portion. My friend and I wore shorts and tank tops on the bus ride to the site.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Valerie

we went cavetubing with cavetubing.bz, dont know where you read this but dont wear long pants, you have to walk across a little river, would be much harder in long pants, besides it is hot in that jungle, We wore bathing suits on the actual cave tubing, take bug spray

Middle of Feb we went cave tubing there and our group of 8 all wore swim shorts. I wouldn't recommend a bikini without shorts. Sometimes your butt might hit the bottom of the creek depending on water levels

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Middle of Feb we went cave tubing there and our group of 8 all wore swim shorts. I wouldn't recommend a bikini without shorts. Sometimes your butt might hit the bottom of the creek depending on water levels

This won't be a problem if you sit on a tube that has a bottom. We went with cavetubing.bz They have tubes that had bottom for you to sit on. Some other companies have hallow tubes and yes your bottom is in water and can hit rocks.

Agree with all the above replies, especially recommending cavetubing.bz.

My DD20 and I went last year - had a great time! Definitely shorts over swimsuit. Can't remember if we actually wore shorts on excursion. If so, you may want to bring extra shorts. We left our things locked in their van. Excellent day! bz has best tubes, tubes tied together so no having to hold on with feet AND went further than cruiseline excursions!

I'm not sure which company you booked with or where you read to wear long pants, but I have 1) never seen a tour company recommend that 2) never worn pants any of the times we have been cave tubing and 3) never seen anyone in our party that had on pants. :confused:

Everyone always wears either shorts or a bathing suit. It's always so hot in the rain forest and you hike a bit, so not sure why anyone would want to have on pants. If they are afraid of maybe bugs, take some off deep woods with you and you should be set (although we never had a problem when we were there with bugs).

We have went with .bz each time and highly recommend them. Excellent service and tour, along with food at the owners place after wards. It can't be beat! I have 2 reviews with tons of pictures listed in my signature line if you are interested. :)

I really did a lot of research and comparisons on this one. There are a lot of tour companies out there! Actually, several mentioned long pants. I think that maybe they just copied the text over from their tubing/zipline combo tour and didn't bother to take out the part about the pants. Or maybe you can zipline in shorts, too? I don't know, we're not doing the ziplining. In any case, I am 100% convinced that they are not only not required, but would be a hindrance. I wasn't really planning to take them in the first place, just wanted to check on the boards and see if I was overlooking something.

mitsugirly, I have really learned a lot from your reviews. The photos are especially helpful. Thanks!

mitsugirly, I have really learned a lot from your reviews. The photos are especially helpful. Thanks!

Having people tell me this makes it all worth it to me. I'm so glad that I can help when I can.

I hope you have a wonderful experience cave tubing. :)