High Tea in Victoria?

My sister and I will be cruising to Alaska in July and will be stopping in Victoria for a day. She LOVES tea and I would love to find a place where you can get tea and little sandwiches or pastries, sort of like a "high tea". Does anyone know a place where we could get this?

Years ago I had afternoon tea at the Butchart gardens which was great. If you want to stay in town then you may consider the Fairmont Empress hotel?

I checked them out and the Fairmont Empress Hotel looks perfect! Thanks again!

Wow, tea at the Empress is now a staggering $63.00 per person, not including tax and tip. Unbelievable. I'm still convulsing. :D

I guess they charge what people will pay, but just so you know, there are other places for tea which are not that expensive. Yes, I've been to the Empress and it was merely fine but certainly not worth the price, in my opinion.

Afternoon tea in Victoria is available at many establishments and is easily researched online. Just wanted to give an alternative to OP and anyone else reading along. :)

http://www.10best.com/destinations/canada/victoria/restaurants/afternoon-tea/

Afternoon tea in Victoria is available at many establishments and is easily researched online. Just wanted to give an alternative to OP and anyone else reading along. :)

http://www.10best.com/destinations/canada/victoria/restaurants/afternoon-tea/

Wow...lots of options to explore! Thanks very much for the link. It's a good thing we don't go til July...will give me time to make a decision. Yes, I thought $63 was a little high, although my sister is worth it!:)

Yes, I thought $63 was a little high, although my sister is worth it!:)

I know, so is mine. We're both cancer survivors and every day is precious. :) But in good conscience I couldn't let you settle on that without chiming in.

Have fun! Victoria is wonderful, lived there for 35 years.

Other options:

James Bay Tea Room: http://jamesbaytearoomandrestaurant.com/ (walking distance from the ship)

Point Ellis House: http://www.pointellicehouse.ca/ much further from the ship, but doable nicely on the harbour ferries, which is a pleasant trip.

Whew...more options! Thanks!

I know, so is mine. We're both cancer survivors and every day is precious. :) But in good conscience I couldn't let you settle on that without chiming in.

Have fun! Victoria is wonderful, lived there for 35 years.

I'm a cancer survivor as well, and I cherish all our time together. I lived away from her for 26 years and it's so great to be back. Funny, we fought all the time as kids, but are best friends now!

The James Bay Tea Room is very nice. The building has gabled traditional architecture and the interior is very traditional. While it does not have the formal elegance of the Empress, it is very British in its décor and ambiance.

If you are searching for a local tea source, Murchie's is the local British Columbia brand. I have visited their tea shop each time I have been in Victoria and Vancouver. They sell bulk teas as well as tea bags, with special blends and commemorative teas. Murchie's tea would make a lovely souvenir for your sister.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow...lots of options to explore! Thanks very much for the link. It's a good thing we don't go til July...will give me time to make a decision. Yes, I thought $63 was a little high, although my sister is worth it!:)

It is on the high side, but it is one of the things that has to be done, when visting Victoria! IMHO. :)

We have been to tea there, four times over the years. Price years ago was under $30, the last time, it was $53. Still worth it , one time!

It is on the high side, but it is one of the things that has to be done, when visting Victoria! IMHO. :)

We have been to tea there, four times over the years. Price years ago was under $30, the last time, it was $53. Still worth it , one time!

Thanks for that. I keep going back to that one... I think it is the elegant setting that has me favoring it.

There is something with experiencing tea at the Empress. No one does it the same - or charges as much. If you do settle for the Empress - be certain to take a walk through past the tea lobby towards the gift shop - if you go to your left, walk down the hallway and on your right you will bump into the Bengal Lounge. It is an amazing room that offers curry buffet daily. Do peek inside.

On your left is the Crystal Ballroom - it originally had a glass ceiling so guests could dance under the stars - amazing chandeliers.

I'm drinking some of the empress tea right now! :D

If you are going to purchase tea - take a stroll up government street and pop into Murchies. This tea shop is a 3 generations old and offers an amazing sampling of some lovely teas.

My personal favourite afternoon tea (not high tea) is served in the dining room at Butchart Gardens. The cost I think is $39 ish dollars. Very nice - but you have to do the Empress tea at least once. Dig into your pockets and have a glass of champagne to go with your strawberries and Devonshire cream. Amazing!

• 2 months later...
What is the best/easiest way to get from the cruise ship to The Empress?

Cheapest & most scenic: walk (you can hug the waterfront as much as possible, about 30mins, or go a more boring & direct route about 20mins through pleasant suburban style streets)

Quickest: taxi, should be under $10 and about 5 mins

Fanciest: rent your own horse & carriage (at least $100)

Easiest/Best: subjective, would you rather burn calories or pay someone?

You can also take a local transit bus or cruise shuttle but frankly neither will save you money unless you travel solo and both are less convenient than either of the above.

IMO the Empress Hotel for TEA is an experience that should not be missed even with the price. I have enjoyed it 4 times - twice making a special trip from Vancouver to Victoria just to allow guests the opportunity of enjoying tea at the Empress Hotel...

I know the price is high but put it in perspective - you have spent a lot fo money to travel to Victoria - cruise - airfare - hotels - souvenirs so to experience something you really want to do is worth the extra money... as when will you return for a 2nd chance???

High tea at the Empress is the best in the city in my opinion and I think we've been to most of the places. It is expensive but so worth it, I would make a reservation though as it can get very busy. I personally would walk from the ship but I don't know what your physical ability is. Not that's it's a major hike but it's certainly more than a couple of blocks. If you take the waterfront path it's just stunning. Tea at Butcharts is also very good but the Empress is oh so good! We had high tea last summer at Harrods in London, the Empress was a very close second to that. Now I want a scone and clotted cream!