Dubrovnik/5 ships in port?

Just found out there will be 5 ships in port in Dubrovnik when we are there in September. Any helpful hints for avoiding the crowds? Or is that at all possible??? :rolleyes: I guess another question is, given the size and layout of the city, how does the city handle all those people? :eek:

If al ships will be there at the same time, the old town (city walls and everything within the walls) will be extremely crowded. Taxis might be busy as well. You should check the times. If you are other ships arrive early, or you have an evening call then you are in luck and you can adjust your visit to the others schedule.

If the portload really is 5 ships x 2000 pax, consider booking a tour outside the city

We stop in Dubrovnik on Sept 25, I sure hope this isn't the day your talking about!

No, it's Sept. 9. Do a search for cruise ships in port dubrovnik and you will get the port site (portdubrovnik.hr) . Check arrivals/departures, and it will show you a menu in Croatian on the left side. These are the months--pick #9 for September and it will show you, probably on the 5th page, the ships in port that day

If al ships will be there at the same time, the old town (city walls and everything within the walls) will be extremely crowded. Taxis might be busy as well. You should check the times. If you are other ships arrive early, or you have an evening call then you are in luck and you can adjust your visit to the others schedule.

If the portload really is 5 ships x 2000 pax, consider booking a tour outside the city

It includes a few smaller ships, so looks like it's ONLY 7000--and two of the ships are leaving at around 3pm.

Get out of town! I cannot imagine being in the old city with such crowds. We went on a land trip in 2011 and I planned our itinerary for Venice, Split, Kotor and Dubrovnik to avoid cruise ships. It was crowded enough in Dubrovnik as it was and this was in October.

If your cruise does not include Kotor, rent a car and go there. It is a wonderful drive getting there and especially around the bay getting to Kotor.

It includes a few smaller ships, so looks like it's ONLY 7000--and two of the ships are leaving at around 3pm.

Great so you will be alone on the walls around 3 pm. Together with a few thousand from your ship, but this actually a good day for you !

Get out of town! I cannot imagine being in the old city with such crowds...

If your cruise does not include Kotor, rent a car and go there. It is a wonderful drive getting there and especially around the bay getting to Kotor.

Actually, "get out of town" might be an interesting idea! At least for the morning...has anyone been to Banje Beach, or East West Beach Club? I know they are near town, but at least a little removed. Another option might be to take the ferry to Lokrum or Cavtat at 11am and return by 2pm. Does anyone know if that is doable in that short amount of time? Thanks in advance.

And of course, any other suggestion for the morning would be appreciated.

Actually, "get out of town" might be an interesting idea! At least for the morning...has anyone been to Banje Beach, or East West Beach Club? I know they are near town, but at least a little removed. Another option might be to take the ferry to Lokrum or Cavtat at 11am and return by 2pm. Does anyone know if that is doable in that short amount of time? Thanks in advance.

I can highly recommend a morning trip to Cavtat. The bus terminal is located just next to the Gruz harbor. Libertas #10 will bring you to Cavtat, a lovely 35 minute ride along the coast with lovely views. Tickets are 25 Kuna per person one way and you can return to Dubrovnik by water ferry ending at the old port, a few steps into the old part of town. Water taxi fare is 50 Kuna per person one way and if you are at tender in the old port you can take it round trip for 80 Kuna. Please make sure you have Croatian Kuna for bus or water transfer, NO Euros!

I can highly recommend a morning trip to Cavtat. The bus terminal is located just next to the Gruz harbor. Libertas #10 will bring you to Cavtat, a lovely 35 minute ride along the coast with lovely views. Tickets are 25 Kuna per person one way and you can return to Dubrovnik by water ferry ending at the old port, a few steps into the old part of town. Water taxi fare is 50 Kuna per person one way and if you are at tender in the old port you can take it round trip for 80 Kuna. Please make sure you have Croatian Kuna for bus or water transfer, NO Euros!

Thanks so much! I was hoping you'd be online and respond. We will be tendering in to Old Town so the water taxi round trip is great. How long is the water taxi trip? And do we just take any water taxi or are there specifically taxis for Cavtat?

I know you've probably answered this question a million times before, but can we get kuna at a cash machine, and is there one close to where we'll be tendering?

And one more question...when we go to Cavtat, what would you suggest we definitely not miss? What are the "must see" in Cavtat?

Thanks again. We leave tomorrow and I just thought of this today, so I don't have as much time to research as I normally would. We really appreciate your insight. :D

Thanks so much! I was hoping you'd be online and respond. We will be tendering in to Old Town so the water taxi round trip is great. How long is the water taxi trip? And do we just take any water taxi or are there specifically taxis for Cavtat?

I know you've probably answered this question a million times before, but can we get kuna at a cash machine, and is there one close to where we'll be tendering?

And one more question...when we go to Cavtat, what would you suggest we definitely not miss? What are the "must see" in Cavtat?

Thanks again. We leave tomorrow and I just thought of this today, so I don't have as much time to research as I normally would. We really appreciate your insight. :D

The closest ATM machine is located just inside of the arch to the old town, just a few steps on the right hand side is Zagrecka Bank. Make sure you take the SEA LINE, it is the only non stop and ask the person at the ticket booth. The trip is about 45 minutes along the coast arriving at the Cavtat Riva (waterfront). From Dubrovnik, schedule begins at 10:30am, 11:30am, 12N, 12:30, 1300, 1400. Come to Cavtat early, enjoy the waterfront, sit and have a early coffee at one of the many cafes. Walk the peninsula and enjoy the views before you leave, one of my favorite stops is having lunch at one of the many cafes. Simple foods, nothing fancy, grilled Adriatic squid, grilled sea bass...no 5 star service...just grilled goodies. Ask for the Cavtat tourist bureau, it is located at the Libertas bus stop area. They have a wonderful collection of literature about the historical sites. Our history dates back earlier than Dubrovnik by many hundreds of years. If weather does not permit use of the water taxi, then take the Libertas #10 bus. It is best to take a taxi down to the terminal, you are guaranteed a seat and you pay for the one way trip to the driver. Cavtat must be done slow and with ease and be prepared to walk steps. If you have a bit of time, do some research online on board the ship and do enjoy my home.

We went to Copacabana beach in Babin Kuk (across the bay from the dock). It is a small but full service beach, with the facilities of a big resort just behind it. We took a taxi there, spent time on the beach, had a nice lunch in the shopping arcade, then to a bus to Pile.

We went to Copacabana beach in Babin Kuk (across the bay from the dock). It is a small but full service beach, with the facilities of a big resort just behind it. We took a taxi there, spent time on the beach, had a nice lunch in the shopping arcade, then to a bus to Pile.

Anyone arriving this week should not plan any beach time. Our weather has been very wet and tomorrow the big winds arrive. Rain is forecast for the next 4 to 5 days with strong winds. Our weather has been more than rainy the entire summer, what little summer we have had this year. Doubt you will find any temperatures over 70F this next week.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Guess we were lucky with the mostly wonderful weather we enjoyed in our 17 day June Adriatic cruise. We only had morning of rain in Hvar and one morning of rain in Venice. That is the thing about weather when you travel -- it is unpredictable. No matter what the "averages" are you have to be prepared for most anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums