Rome - Shopping for Essentials

suntan

Should we forget to pack some essentials in our luggage for our upcoming cruise (such as hair spray, mousse, toothpaste, etc.) where is the best and cheapest place to buy these - grocery store or pharmacy? Also, if you have a brand favourite available in Rome please let me know. Thank you.

As mentioned most grocery stores will have a good selection, and much cheaper than you will find similar items in the farmacia, usually. The best selection would be found at a chain like Acqua & Sapone or Smoll, selling well-known brands for good prices.

Coming back to add a caveat: over-the-counter medicines are not stocked in the supermarkets in Italy. Things like ibuprofen or paracetamol/acetaminophen are in the farmacia, behind the counter, so you will need to ask for them, and they're pretty expensive by UK or US standards. Even something like antacid tablets are only sold in the farmacia. The only indigestion remedy I've ever seen in a supermarket is bicarbonate of soda. (Can you tell that I suffer from occasional indigestion? :p)

Edited by lisiamc

When we stayed in Rome for 5 days before our Mariner OTS cruise, we shopped at the SMA accross the street from the rear of the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. Great shopping in a very nice safe area.

As mentioned most grocery stores will have a good selection, and much cheaper than you will find similar items in the farmacia, usually. The best selection would be found at a chain like Acqua & Sapone or Smoll, selling well-known brands for good prices.

Coming back to add a caveat: over-the-counter medicines are not stocked in the supermarkets in Italy. Things like ibuprofen or paracetamol/acetaminophen are in the farmacia, behind the counter, so you will need to ask for them, and they're pretty expensive by UK or US standards. Even something like antacid tablets are only sold in the farmacia. The only indigestion remedy I've ever seen in a supermarket is bicarbonate of soda. (Can you tell that I suffer from occasional indigestion? :p)

Thank you for this very helpful information.

If you are looking for cosmetics and want the familiar, there is a Sephora store on Via Tritone…

Call me weird, but I enjoy going into the supermarkets, pharmacies and other stores around the world - it's interesting to see what they have! I always make a stop to buy any larger toiletries that I need for a trip at my first stop. I'm not a slave to any particular brand, so it's easy to pick up what I need.

Edited by slidergirl

If you are looking for cosmetics and want the familiar, there is a Sephora store on Via Tritone…

Call me weird, but I enjoy going into the supermarkets, pharmacies and other stores around the world - it's interesting to see what they have! I always make a stop to buy any larger toiletries that I need for a trip at my first stop. I'm not a slave to any particular brand, so it's easy to pick up what I need.

Very helpful information. Thank you.

When we stayed in Rome for 5 days before our Mariner OTS cruise, we shopped at the SMA accross the street from the rear of the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. Great shopping in a very nice safe area.

Thank you. This is great information.

Call me weird, but I enjoy going into the supermarkets, pharmacies and other stores around the world

You're not the only one. I must check out supermarkets in any place we visit - not only to pick up a picnic lunch or supper, but to generally check out the items. Some of my best memories in the UK are from shopping at Tesco's... :D

UPIM - there are several around town - kind of like a Kmart - has toiletries, household goods (we got a corkscrew), cheaper clothing, etc.

also the shopping mall at Termini has everything - and good place for cheap snacks for hotel room- COIN is a good store there for forgotten socks, underwear, sweaters, etc. cheap

For toiletries, you will find familiar brands of hairspray, toothpaste, shaving cream, lotion, etc. and also European brands - fun to browse

In France, I love the Carrefour chain - they have food, deli counters, bakeries, clothes, household stuff, toiletries, and gas stations - one in every good sized town - one stop shopping if you are on the road