Royal - Windward Islands Rookie Questions

MSN-Travelers

Hi all ...

My wife and I are experienced travelers; however, we have never taken a cruise on a sailing ship like the Royal. (March 2009)

I know we can leave the formal wear at home. Should likely leave the laptop at home too and just get an additional memory card for the camera.

Can anybody offer advice on what to bring and what to leave behind?

Also, air travel from the mid-west in late winter can be iffy. We plan on going to Barbados a day early. Does anybody have any recommendation on where to stay for one night?

Imagine, if you will, traveling to South Florida on vacation, with no great plans for getting really gussied up for going out. As we were there in December, it will be a little different, but I would imagine several short sleeved shirts, shorts and a couple of "nicer" (read as not suit shirts) and slacks. A water/weather proof jacket is a must while traveling, but it doesn't need to be lined for warmth, showers can sneak up on you, especially when you left the waterproof jacket on the ship. A good pair of walking shoes, a pair of good shoes and a pair of sandles/crocs etc. I didn't take a suit jacket of any kind. Wife took her "traveling" dress, i.e. wads up and unfolds loooking great.

The older saying of take half as many clothes and twice as much money is always accurate. Some excellent shopping available onshore.

Look at "weatherundergournd" a week or so before you go and you can find the temps and conditions for the area.

Agree with just taking the extra memory card, especially since the prices have dropped soo much. When we went, I had just picked up a 512 Ultra II on sale for $25. I use the Ultra II's because my camera also does video which records better with a hi-speed card.

The usual cross-packing and extra stuff in the carry-on work great. You never know when those wonderful luggage handelers will oops ya. PIA with the kids they had working the security on leaving, but hopefully that'll be better when you travel.

We have stayed at the Southern Palms several times before taking a cruise. It is easy to get to, there are some restaurants within wallking distance (depending on your ability to walk) and a cute little 'square' across the street that has wonderful sandwiches for lunch. Enjoy!!

Hi,

Just remember, men do need long pants for dinner! Basically everything is casual, but not TOO casual. People look good on and off the ship. We've been on 4 Clipper cruises and they are great! The crowd tends to be very educated and fun.

The "Peach and Quiet" is a great place to stay on Barbados. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed there before and after the cruise on the Royal in December 2007.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I and two other couples are considering a Star Clipper cruise. Some of the guys just won't wear long pants on vacation in the Caribbean. They don't have a problem with nice pressed khaki shorts and collared shirts though. Will they really not be allowed in the dinning room at dinner? Is there another dinning option like a pool side buffet?

Don't let the long pants for dinner rule stop you from taking Star Clipper. The guys can always change to shorts right after dinner when everyone will be up on deck enjoying the evening's entertainment or just hanging out. We are booked on the Royal Jan.10 and are really looking forward to it.

If the guys truly just won't wear long pants then you should choose another vacation. If you are unable to abide by even the very lax dress standards on this ship then you should probably choose something else.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived