Harvesting urchins and shellfish while snorkeling?

whataboutport

Is this allowed, and is it even possible? Let's say I saw some urchins while snorkeling, could I take some and would they be safe to eat? Not bring back on the ship of course, but if I found a local fisherman and paid him to open/clean them for me. I don't know what type of urchins are in the Caribbean but they are my most favorite food, and nothing like eating them fresh out of the water.

I have never seen this question ask before, but I was wondering how do you catch them? All of the ones that I have seen in the ocean are spikey and I wouldn't dream of trying to touch them. Just wondering...:confused:

I have read threads over and over about never removing anything from the ocean or sea life. I was "thinking" that I read that you get in trouble for doing it? But I may be wrong. I know every excursion that I have went on that has been by boat the people dive down and grab conch and stuff and take them out and eat them with everyone so I'm not sure.

In Catalina Island (California) there are sea urchins (uni) everywhere. In fact that is where most restaurants get their uni from to serve in sushi restaurants in the west coast. I have also read (never been fortunate enough to go) that many people who vacation in Greece take urchins off the rocks and eat them. Very few cultures treasure urchins, other than the Japanese and Greeks/Italians/Meditteranians. Even Martha Stewart did a show on fresh urchins. I"m just asking, if I had the opportunity, could I do this. But seems like no one else has had the opportunity either.

BTW you don't have to catch uni's. They just kind of fall off the rock. Not hard to catch them at all. I know you can't take sea life back with you, but if you consumed it right there... like eating fresh conch, it's no different.

Oh ok. I was just wondering. I have never heard it mentioned and have never tried one, but I would be up for anything.

I just wondered how you caught them because most of the ones I have ran across look prickly and most are usually in between the holes in the rocks and I wondered how you would get to them without getting stuck (or stung...if they sting idk).

Most of the ones I've seen are like this in the hole:

IMG_1012-M.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a different kind on our cruise 2 weeks ago in Roatan:

PC190585-M.jpg

Thanks for the knowledge. I'm always up to learn more. I love snorkeling. :)

Oh ok. I was just wondering. I have never heard it mentioned and have never tried one, but I would be up for anything.

I just wondered how you caught them because most of the ones I have ran across look prickly and most are usually in between the holes in the rocks and I wondered how you would get to them without getting stuck (or stung...if they sting idk).

Most of the ones I've seen are like this in the hole:

IMG_1012-M.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a different kind on our cruise 2 weeks ago in Roatan:

PC190585-M.jpg

Thanks for the knowledge. I'm always up to learn more. I love snorkeling. :)

Beautiful pics! The second one is what I'm used to seeing in CA. They practically fall off the rocks just looking at them. They also sell them at the Redondo Beach pier and the fish monger cracks them open for you to eat. Only the orange eggs inside are edible, but when eaten fresh is so sweet, nutty, and creamy. If eaten not so fresh they become bitter, and why most people hate them, they haven't tried them fresh enough. They are called "Uni" and you can get them in higher end sushi bars.

The urchins in CA are more of the blackish purple color but hang on top of rocks like your second pic.

I also saw in another thread that there is a sea urchin man in st maartin that shows you different kinds. I wonder if he can catch me some to eat. Lol.

Oh I also noticed in the second pic, the stuff that's on the urchin's shell. Many people who keep salt water tanks and have urchins as pets have said urchins like to take bits of other things in the tank and make themselves hats. Some come to acquire very interesting looking headwear. Almost like crowns. Lol.i guess that are trying to hide?

Beautiful pics! The second one is what I'm used to seeing in CA. They practically fall off the rocks just looking at them. They also sell them at the Redondo Beach pier and the fish monger cracks them open for you to eat. Only the orange eggs inside are edible, but when eaten fresh is so sweet, nutty, and creamy. If eaten not so fresh they become bitter, and why most people hate them, they haven't tried them fresh enough. They are called "Uni" and you can get them in higher end sushi bars.

The urchins in CA are more of the blackish purple color but hang on top of rocks like your second pic.

I also saw in another thread that there is a sea urchin man in st maartin that shows you different kinds. I wonder if he can catch me some to eat. Lol.

I always see the urchins in the first picture everywhere I go and they are always hidden in a hole. That's how I was wondering how you get to them. :p

This past cruise was the first time I have ever seen the one like the second picture. I actually seen two of them that day.

Here's the other one:

white%20sea%20urchin-M.jpg

That would be neat to try it fresh.

I don't think you have answered my question though...do they sting? Or is it's cover prickly and hurt if you touch them?

Oh I also noticed in the second pic, the stuff that's on the urchin's shell. Many people who keep salt water tanks and have urchins as pets have said urchins like to take bits of other things in the tank and make themselves hats. Some come to acquire very interesting looking headwear. Almost like crowns. Lol.i guess that are trying to hide?

That's funny. I wondered why the seaweed stuff was on it. I thought maybe they eat it or something and they are "cleaners" of the sea (or tank if they happen to be in a tank at home). :p

I always see the urchins in the first picture everywhere I go and they are always hidden in a hole. That's how I was wondering how you get to them. :p

This past cruise was the first time I have ever seen the one like the second picture. I actually seen two of them that day.

Here's the other one:

white%20sea%20urchin-M.jpg

That would be neat to try it fresh.

I don't think you have answered my question though...do they sting? Or is it's cover prickly and hurt if you touch them?

That's funny. I wondered why the seaweed stuff was on it. I thought maybe they eat it or something and they are "cleaners" of the sea (or tank if they happen to be in a tank at home). :p

To be perfectly honest, I don't know if they ALL sting. The black/purple ones in CA are fine. But the other thread I mentioned about the Sea Urchin man, the poster said he warned that they sting, and that they were holding one from the bottom that looked very much like the ones we have here in CA. So to answer your question, I don't know. :p

In CA the urchin divers usually just go in the water with a big net bag and a stick and knock them off the rocks, but they need hardly a tap and they come off.

We food collect all the time while diving, but not urchins. Not because we can't, but because we're not big fans of them. We'll eat scallops underwater while diving, too. I'll also have a speargun with me for fish and lobsters, which are my favorites. We do this in the Sea of Cortez at San Carlos, but I see no problem in doing it in the Caribbean. Just be sure to wear gloves and have a dive tool with you and enjoy!

We food collect all the time while diving, but not urchins. Not because we can't, but because we're not big fans of them. We'll eat scallops underwater while diving, too. I'll also have a speargun with me for fish and lobsters, which are my favorites. We do this in the Sea of Cortez at San Carlos, but I see no problem in doing it in the Caribbean. Just be sure to wear gloves and have a dive tool with you and enjoy!

It is illegal to spear lobsters in the Caribbean. Please do not encourage. Thanks!

I've never heard of urchins 'stinging'

what I usually hear about is folks stepping on them, or pushing a hand down on one and the spines breaking off under the skin. There are very very fine barbs and the broken spines DON'T pull out. It hurts and can get infected. On the other hand if the spine bits are small, heat and keeping the wound clean and some antiseptic usually results in the spine bits breaking down and being absorbed by the body.

wrt to the comment about marine parks/sanctuaries - this was my first thought. Most popular dive sites in the Carib, and even in FL are now protected parks of some sort and tour operators will restrict use of gloves and knives for this very reason.

Take only pictures - leave only bubbles.

ALTHO with proper training the Keys are now encouraging divers catch the envasive Lion Fish which is causing problems as it eats everything else! I'm told they cook up nice.

Take only pictures - leave only bubbles.

ALTHO with proper training the Keys are now encouraging divers catch the envasive Lion Fish which is causing problems as it eats everything else! I'm told they cook up nice.

Capt, I couldn't agree more on the pictures/bubbles thing. As for consuming the lion fish, preparation is is very important. Those spines are toxic. I'm all for shooting the invasive carnivores.

When we were in Costa Maya on our SI at a restaurant/bar on the beach, the owner offered us spearguns to shoot lion fish. We really wanted to do it, but there were beginners on the boat and didn't want to do it around them. We're going back at the end of the year to get married on the beach and we will be bringing our own spearguns this time (won't be on a cruise).

We gather all varieties of shellfish, scallops, conch, lobster, shrimp, and crab, and more in San Carlos and have wonderful meals. And the fish is delicious, too!

The majority of places in the US at least would require a fishing license to take any sea life. My guess is most places in the caribbean are the same, and that every island has different laws so you would have to check at each place you go to. There most likely will be a list of what is legal to take and what is illegal, and possible what the season is that you are allowed to take them. There are usually number and size limits as well.

I would doubt that fishing licenses are required at most places, if any, in the Caribbean. And, even more doubtful they would cover sea urchins and shellfish. The main issue is not being in a marine sanctuary, because nothing can be taken from there, dead or alive.

The harvesting of seafood laws in the Caribbean vary from country to country. Do not assume you can collect their conch, lobsters or anything else. The laws also vary between scuba and snorkel as what you can harvest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived