Norway or Arctic

LemonNeko

Has anyone gone on a Norway or Arctic cruise with young children? I'm likely looking at RCL since Disney is way out of my price range. I am open to other lines as well. My son would be 5 when we would be going.

Has anyone gone on a Norway or Arctic cruise with young children? I'm likely looking at RCL since Disney is way out of my price range. I am open to other lines as well. My son would be 5 when we would be going.

I would take Norway . There very few if any cruises to the Arctic. There is a cruise planned for the Canadian Northwest Passage year .

A lot of Norway is in the Arctic--so you don't have to choose one or the other. :) We are going next month (woo hoo!) on an MSC itinerary that goes up the west coast of Norway, then all the way up to Svalbard (google it), which is an unusual itinerary...but many lines offer Norway cruises up to the North Cape, at the top of continental Europe. Our youngest is seven. I'll report back with our impressions. Happy planning!

We might be doing this as a larger family trip so Norway is likely an easier sell. My husband has already asked "why do you want to go somewhere colder than where we live?".

A lot of Norway is in the Arctic--so you don't have to choose one or the other. :) We are going next month (woo hoo!) on an MSC itinerary that goes up the west coast of Norway, then all the way up to Svalbard (google it), which is an unusual itinerary...but many lines offer Norway cruises up to the North Cape, at the top of continental Europe. Our youngest is seven. I'll report back with our impressions. Happy planning!

Have a great trip. Yes please update on how it went. :)

We just returned from a Fjords cruise (NCL Star) with our 3.75 yr old. Had a great time. Quite a lot to do in the ports from a pre-schooler standpont (Flam Train, Geiranger cruise, Alesund sightseeing train, etc.) Nice places to walk around. Bergen funicular was too crowded - too long a lineup - but we would have done that as well. A five year old may have found these a bit too young.

Lots of cool scenery and other smaller boats to check out kept him fairly well entertained.

Nice benefit is departing out of Copenhagen, which has a non-stop flight from Toronto. Key for us for making the trip. And Copenhagen is a very easy city to navigate and enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

We did an Artic circle cruise (Norway) with our then 3 and 7 year old boys. They loved it and ask almost every day when our next trip is. We took it pretty easy and went at their speed doing things like the Aquarium in Alesund and walking around Honingsvag. They even enjoyed Amsterdam (our departure port). If you go to Stavanger, there is a fantastic playground that we spent over an hour jumping and having a good time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436731897.731306.jpg.cc58f62905725d833bec3455846fd103.jpg

8yr old was super excited about him virgin strawberry daiquiri that he could get at "any bar"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436731809.782624.jpg.a07166645a3e07f5c1bcc1c569dc54e1.jpg

Park in Stavanger

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436731823.194423.jpg.4fbff584aa0cdd5bfacde3e8b689eaf3.jpg

Family in Honingsvag

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436731836.605475.jpg.5f399409593010a49583ee53c35fd834.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436731864.282149.jpg.88a3fc5f248d66347c5ce9fef353eb5c.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436731880.399944.jpg.d177a6f7683fdd6a4fd706f94ad44af0.jpg

Edited by Syrreal