Yes, another Hotel question! :-)

TRAVELCRUZIN

The Hubby and I splurged on a balcony cabin for our cruise leaving from San Juan and would also like to take a tour of the rain forest. With that in mind we are flying in two nights pre cruise and after reading various suggestions on here I started looking at hotels. The hotels suggested are largely $250 or more per night with resort fees make them almost $600!! Yikes!

We are not picky, just clean beds and showers as we don't intend to spend alot of time in our room. We are traveling in February 2016.

any recommendations for rooms closer to $150 a night?

TIA

Last year we stayed at the Best Western Condado. It was nice, clean and in a good location.

DD and I stayed here in January. Large clean room with really comfortable beds. It is right across the street from Charlie car rental so we walked over to pick up our car in the morning (we got in at 1am). It was right at $100/night

https://www.borinquenbeachinn.com/

Check out Tres Palmas Inn, (google). Right on the beach, only 18 rooms in the guest house. We are booked in 2 of the Ocean view rooms at $147 a night including taxes. This includes breakfast. Highly recommended on Trip Advisor.

We stayed at Caleta 64 for two nights in Oct, 2014. We stayed in a large studio (Adoquin) around the corner from El Covento Hotel.

It was easy to book, clean place. We loved having the kitchen to have a cup of coffee in the morning. They have a washer and dryer in the unit as well, if you would need that.

You do have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the unit we rented (Adoquin). Not sure if they have an elevator?? We did not have a problem with the stairs.

We loved the location of this condo. We walked to everything in OSJ. Just took a taxi there from the airport and then took a taxi to pan american pier when we were ready to go to the ship!

It was cheaper than any hotel we could find at the time.

This year we are returning to OSJ and we booked an apartment on the VRBO site. We have 6 people this time so we needed a bigger place. Otherwise we would have booked at Caleta 64 again.

You can find lots of reviews for them on Trip Advisor. The photos they post on their site were very accurate to what the condo looked like.

http://www.caleta64.com/

We have stayed in Old San Juan at Hotel Milano & in the Condado area at Le Consulat. Both were very reasonable & clean, but nothing fancy at all (which we were not looking for). Would recommend either one depending on where you want to be (in town or near the ocean). We did take a bus into Old San Juan from Le Consulat for I think 75 cents each way & that was very easy.

If ur interested in having ur own place with kitchen etc go to Airbnb.com. You can get a place very reasonable and most ppl that manage these places can get u discount excursions. Highly recommended

It may be more expensive because of the time of year you're traveling (it's a more popular time). But for our trip this coming august 2015 I am paying only $144/night and $160/night (2 different nights) for the Embassy Suites and that includes free breakfast. I've read reviews on trip advisor where people mention paying over $300 for the same hotel so the cost probably largely depends on the time of year you're traveling.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

• 2 weeks later...
It may be more expensive because of the time of year you're traveling (it's a more popular time). But for our trip this coming august 2015 I am paying only $144/night and $160/night (2 different nights) for the Embassy Suites and that includes free breakfast. I've read reviews on trip advisor where people mention paying over $300 for the same hotel so the cost probably largely depends on the time of year you're traveling.

Is that the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde?

Yep that's the one :)

Thanks. I booked it but right now it has a 2 night minimum and I only need it for 1 night. I'm hoping it will change.....

I also booked the Hampton Inn and Suites too for now.

I have no idea where these hotels are or how close they are to the airport/ship. Just trying to find something relatively inexpensive for the 1 night.

I am not planning on doing anything in particular in San Juan, just want a convenient hotel to do a night at before getting on the ship. Are either of these a good choice?

Thanks. I booked it but right now it has a 2 night minimum and I only need it for 1 night. I'm hoping it will change.....

I also booked the Hampton Inn and Suites too for now.

I have no idea where these hotels are or how close they are to the airport/ship. Just trying to find something relatively inexpensive for the 1 night.

I am not planning on doing anything in particular in San Juan, just want a convenient hotel to do a night at before getting on the ship. Are either of these a good choice?

I'm not sure about the Hampton Inn but I've read a lot about the a Embassy Suites and I know it's a 5 minute drive from the airport and about 20 minutes from the Pan Am cruise terminal. There aren't any hotels "close" (meaning walking distance) to the cruise terminal so I don't think it really matters where you stay in that regard. I've read the Sheraton in Old San Juan is the closest to the terminal, but still necessary to take a taxi. So I think it just boils down to price.

The past four years the wife and I have cruise from SJ.The months of Dec. Jan. and Feb. are very expensive for hotels.Friends of ours have cruise in the summer months and paid much less then we do in the winter.Best Western is in a great location and more what you are looking to pay.I think you will enjoy staying there.

The past four years the wife and I have cruise from SJ.The months of Dec. Jan. and Feb. are very expensive for hotels.Friends of ours have cruise in the summer months and paid much less then we do in the winter.Best Western is in a great location and more what you are looking to pay.I think you will enjoy staying there.

The Hubby and I splurged on a balcony cabin for our cruise leaving from San Juan and would also like to take a tour of the rain forest. With that in mind we are flying in two nights pre cruise and after reading various suggestions on here I started looking at hotels. The hotels suggested are largely $250 or more per night with resort fees make them almost $600!! Yikes!

We are not picky, just clean beds and showers as we don't intend to spend alot of time in our room. We are traveling in February 2016.

any recommendations for rooms closer to $150 a night?

TIA

Check out

https://www.choicehotels.com/puerto-rico/levittown/comfort-inn-hotels/pr006?source=pmftripblaw&pmf=tripbl

http://www.canariohotels.com

Cheap and okay

Anyone know what pier it leaves from? I thought it was the one by the Sheraton but maybe it's not!

RCCL Adventure leaves from the Pan Am pier so not really walking distance from any hotel for most people, unless you are an avid walker/jogger.:rolleyes:

Royal Caribbean sails from the Pan Am Pier. The closest hotel to that pier is the Sheraton Convention Center, but would still require a taxi. They are in sight of each other but it would be quite the walk especially with luggage.

The Sheraton most people think of is across the harbor in Old San Juan (Sheraton Old San Juan) - directly across the street from the pier Carnival uses.