How will a Princess Fan do on the QM2?

joyride

We have decided to book a New England cruise in Fall 2008. Originally we were looking at the Caribbean Princess. Then, we found out that the QM2 has a 7 day out of NYC in the Fall of 2008. I thought it would be neat to try Cunard and to experience the QM2.

Being the researcher that I am, I started to visit the Cunard thread here on Cruise Critic and I read several reviews of the QM2.

We are supposed to reserve this trip this week, and honestly, I'm having second thoughts.

First, it's really pricey for the category of room that we can get. I usually get a mini suite on Princess and can't swing that on the QM2. Secondly, from the reviews, it sounds like it's very formal all the time and that you really only enjoy the best perks if you are in the "Grill" Categories.

I really love Princess and I'm very comfortable on Princess. Will the QM2 make me feel like a "second class" citizen if I'm in the less expensive cabins??

(Down where Leonardo DeCaprio was). :)

Will the QM2 make me feel like a "second class" citizen if I'm in the less expensive cabins?? (Down where Leonardo DeCaprio was). :)

Hello Joyride

Nobody can make you "feel" anything that you're not prepared to feel.

If we spent all our time worrying about what others thought of us, we would all go crazy. It all boils down to self confidence. If you don't feel inferior to anyone, then nobody can make to feel "second class". Others may feel superior to everyone else but they are just fooling themselves and it's obvious (and funny) to the rest of us.

So relax and enjoy your trip on the QM2 if you enjoy dressing up for formal nights, elegant casual nights and informal nights. :) There is no other ship like her and you will be treated like royalty no matter where you sleep!

regards

Margot

from the reviews, it sounds like it's very formal all the time and that you really only enjoy the best perks if you are in the "Grill" Categories.

Will the QM2 make me feel like a "second class" citizen if I'm in the less expensive cabins??

One of the greatest appeals of the QM2 was its formality so I can't help you out with that particular trepidation. However, another huge draw was the sense of elegant tradition, particularly as embodied by the Britannia restaurant. I actually met a couple sailing in Grill class who were envious of those of us who got to experience the Britannia! Not only that, but the great majority of passengers are in the Britiannia class so you'll hardly feel looked down upon. (I couldn't even tell who was in the upper classes!)

Hope this helps

Peter

Joyride,

Don't be intimidated by how folks talk on this board. While it is true that you could probably pay less for the same cabin on most other lines, you won't be on this ship. QM2 has so much more pleasant (and less crowded) public spaces. Most people don't spend altogether that much time in their rooms. I'd much rather squeeze a bit in the room (and I have gone Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL) and have enough room to move about without feeling pinched in a crowd in the public spaces.

As for the talk here, remember that in the intimate, yet anonymous atmosphere of the internet, you can choose to be anyone or anything you wish to present yourself as. When face to face with the same people, things are decidedly different. There are people on this board who chose to present themselves as somehow more refined as others, and those people appear to be snobs. I would be willing to bet that most of them would be as welcoming and kind if we were to meet as they could possibly be.

The ship is just like any other ship daytime (Well, okay- no hairy chest contests and ice sculpture demonstrations around the pool, and fewer bellowing drunks) Normal attire is just fine. Really nobody will notice. In the evening, it is more dressy. I kind of like the chance to dress up and play princess<G> which I so infrequently get the opportunity to do in real life. Mind you, I am not the least bit comfortable in heels and (ugh) stockings and dresses that ride up or shift around. And I do fine! Do not worry about a thing. I have met some marvelously wonderful people on board. (In fact, where the heck is Maria. I have to run over tho the Dec 2 roll call, still going quite strong! Seems she doesn't post over here much these days!)

Anyway! These people got me through the loss of my father (whom I love dearly, as I had no relationship with my mother. My father was my rock) and the loss of a job I truly loved last year. Not to mention a wild bout with a rabid raccoon in my yard at Christmas (got the news Christmas eve that we and our outdoor cats had been exposed after animal control shot the raccoon the Thursday before Christmas in our yard. Animal control wanted to kill the cats and we had to go through shots. they are still quarantined in our garage (three more months) as we speak!)

Does this sound like the kind of people you would not enjoy cruising with? Really, don't pay any attention to the ones who make it seem as though we aren't good enough. Heck, we down in steerage will show up for dinner in our curlers, ratty bathrobes, and fuzzy slippers and refuse to row if they don't stop this nonsense!

Karie,

who is known for having a twisted sense of humor and an overblown sense of self (not to mention a certain way with words... lots of them!)

P.S. Went on the 4 day Labor Day to Nova Scotia Last year. We had a great time, despite not so great weather. There were 65 of us at our Cruise Critic gathering in the Commodore Club. Marvelous people! I keep in touch with a number of them. And hope to meet more cc'ers on my next cruise, whenever that is going to be (soon, I hope! I'd better get that damned passport renewed soon!)

First, it's really pricey for the category of room that we can get. I usually get a mini suite on Princess and can't swing that on the QM2.

Yes, it is expensive compared to other lines - but what you get in return are some spectacular public rooms - the standard Balcony cabins are perfectly fine

Secondly, from the reviews, it sounds like it's very formal all the time and that you really only enjoy the best perks if you are in the "Grill" Categories.

Not at all! In fact 'steerage' has the most spectacular dining room by far. The Grill Passengers have a tiny bit of deck space reserved for their use - and their own lounge - othewise everyone can use all of the ship.

Will the QM2 make me feel like a "second class" citizen if I'm in the less expensive cabins?

No - but it may make other cruise ships feel 'second class' after you have been on the QM2!

Peter

On our cruise last October there were with 2 other couples that joined us from the San Diego area. We were all on the same floor and we each had the same balcony catagory. We all enjoyed our rooms and as I said that the balconies on the QM2 are larger than Princess as are the showers. I used the laundry facility to press and so some wash, never had a problem with too many people and there is no charge for the detergent or the washers and dryers. The library and planetarium are a must. We had our Cruise Critic meeting in the Commodor lounge. Cannot say enough for the QM2, loved every minute.:)

Joyride:

What can I say but to ignore the mostly perceived "snooty" talk (occasionally real) and book! First,I have met many people who had booked inside cabins or lower deck outside cabins with a window. Many fit in easily as well as those who booked "Grill" accomodations. I myself would like never be in a position to book Grill unless its a once in a lifetime "save everything you have" event or I was lucky with an upgrade.

This is one of the biggest problems that Cunard has - an identity crisis! Is is a luxury liner for those well-off or is it something else? Far too many people not familiar with Cunard have screamed that they will avoid it like the plague as its a class system at its worst. Believe me, there is no class system. I like to think of Cunard's ships being relaxing and cultured but also more of a nature like the different types of rooms you get in a hotel - standard rooms, suites, executive rooms, etc. Sure you get a restaurant that is tailored to your type of accomodation but even the QM2's Britannia is much nicer than most of the restaurants out there - food and decor wise. Since the Britannia accomodates most of the QM2's passengers I would guess that you would be in the majority rather than the minority. Outside of the restaurants and a small lounge and deck space, EVERY passenger is allowed free reign over the rest of the ship! So everyone mixes with everyone else.

So don't worry too much what accomodation you can or can't afford. The issue is more of the type of atmosphere you prefer. If you like tasteful decor and great food then try the QM2. It has a great spa and the QM2 is the only ship on the seas with a planetarium which I heartily recommend. The entertainment is okay. The ship itself is lovely and just the sheer size of it blows your mind. Yet, what I do love about it is that you never feel like you are in a cattle boat and that its very intimate for such a large behemoth. If partying is your style then you might be sorely disappointed but being Princess fans I think you fall more in the middle.

I agree that Cunard is slightly more expensive than Princess or HAL but I have found it to be worth the extra money. I can't make one fall in love with Cunard but I'd say give the QM2 a try even if its just to say "we did it once". But as Karie said above, she can be addictive.:D

David

Joyride,

We took a Star Princess re-positioning cruise to Copenhagen a few years ago, then QM2 Westbound transatlantic to get home. Yes there were certainly some differences, but none that had anything to do with snobbery, exclusivity, or any other sort of "classism". QM2 was more formal in the sense that "formal dress" evenings saw more black tie and long gowns, but this was not 100% and the suits and cocktail-length dresses turned no heads - other than in appreciation of the good-looking person inside them!

If anything, we found the room steward to be a lot more attentive on Princess.

I really love Princess and I'm very comfortable on Princess. Will the QM2 make me feel like a "second class" citizen if I'm in the less expensive cabins??

Like everybody else I would like to encourage you to try the QM2 and ensure you that you will not be a "second class" citizen what ever cabin you choose.

Yet, to be fair, it might be advisable to ask yourself what you like so much about Princess. If it is "personal choice dinning" - you will not find that on the QM2. If it is a more casual style - you have the right idea that the QM2 is more formal. According to the information on other threats now a jacket is required for men every evening. Anyway a number of passengers choose to wear suits or jackets and tie every night. 9 hole golf course - not on the QM2. Pool games - noop. And there are more differences.

If you think you will like the characteristics of Cunard and want to be part of it, you will enjoy. Again, nobody will look down on you for the mere choice of you cabin.

Joyride,

Welcome to the Cunard Board. Having never sailed on Cunard, I can understand your concerns. However, as others have explained so well, you really do not have anything to worry about.

I have cruised several times on Princess. I have also sailed on the QM2 three times and eaten in the Britannia restaurant each time. The Britannia Restaurant is lovely and you will enjoy dining there. The QM2 is an extremely large ship. Since you have sailed on some of the larger Princess ships, you will not have any problems with the size of the QM2.

The QM2 is more formal in the evenings than Princess. Did you enjoy the formal nights on Princess? If so, you will enjoy the evenings on the QM2.

We took one of the New England/Canada QM2 cruises last October. We thoroughly enjoyed it. During the day, the dress was very similar to what you would find on Princess on such a cruise.

I would grab that New England/Canada cruise on the QM2 in a heartbeat. If you have any additional questions, please ask. This board is a weath of information. Let us know what you decide.

Beth

Freudian slip?

:)

Oh, what have I done? Maybe I should get my dictionary out more often ...

But no, for me it was more of a threat when people informed about the high number of casual nights on the QE2 at the end of last year.

PS: This post has been spell checked. :)

Joyride....what you might just find is that like many of us who have sailed her she is highly addictive. Truly a gracious experience on a very elegant lady. If you'd like to get a sense of my first experience on her read bits and pieces of my review here....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

It might help you to understand that those of us, and that's the overwhelming majority, who travel in Britannia in any cabin can feel like royalty everywhere on the ship. I felt no class distinctions anywhere and I am counting the days til I can get my QM2 "fix" again....and already planning 2008 as well!!

Good luck with your decision...if you go, please come back and tell us how you felt.

Cheers, Penny

Wow, what a nice response from all of you. Thank you for shedding light on all of this for me, I'm very happy to hear that my impression that Cunard was a bit "snobby" was incorrect. :):)

We have decided to book on the Princess Fall Foliage trip in October 2008. I am sure I will still try Cunard some day, especially if I ever do a Tranatlantic trip!

We decided to go with Princess for the following reasons:

1. My friend is traveling solo and she can spend a LOT less $$$ for her solo window cabin on Princess (about half of what she would have to pay on QM2)

2. Princess goes to Bar Harbor instead of Portland, ME - and I really loved Bar Harbor and want to go back there.

3. We want to go a bit later, hoping we will have better luck with the colors mid-October (I know this does vary every year - but last time we went in September it was a bit early).

Anyway - thanks again for all of your comments. I will be looking for a chance to try Cunard down the road...

I've enjoyed this thread. Haven't read it in detail but it was right up my alley. We've done 17 Princess cruises, the QE2 and one RC. We are going on the Royal in June and got a brochure from Cunard and added the westbound crossing to our trip. Getting to Rome on 7th or 8th, and going to London and then Southampden to sail to NY. Just beginning my research. Thanks for all your help. We are looking for pictures of what the cabin layout is like. Can't find much. A few pictures on the Cunard site. We've got a P3 cabin.

Thanks again.

Wow, what a nice response from all of you. Thank you for shedding light on all of this for me, I'm very happy to hear that my impression that Cunard was a bit "snobby" was incorrect. :):)

We have decided to book on the Princess Fall Foliage trip in October 2008. I am sure I will still try Cunard some day, especially if I ever do a Tranatlantic trip!

Okay guys! we've got to chill!

We've managed t scare off another one.

:(

Well, She had legit reasons that won out. But we do seem to keep hearing this that folks do not want to go on the Qm2, QE2 because they heard it is a class system and people on board are snobs.

Remember, if Cunard can't fill those cabins, Alang may get another for its giant maw.

So which is preferable? Lighten up a bit on the criticism (As Malcolm has admirably done) or chance losing one of our girls?

Its something to think about. Yes, we'd like to uphold the standards, but at some point, if it isn't what MOST of the cruising public wants, one has to ask oneself, at what price?

I was reading another list I'm on tonight, about a place that is going to the wrecking ball. Well, everyone decried this, but you have to remember. the owners don't own the place out of a sense of the history. They need to make a profit, or at least, have the place pay for itself. Yes, another icon is gone. (in this case, a quirky motel in Key West, the Atlantic Shores, which took some pretty severe damage from hurricane Wilma. I know. I was there. and my room in the Reach, acorss the street, (What was left of the Reach, which also had damage) overlooked the Atlantic Shores. It was a qurkly place with a bar the locals loved, and a movie night where they did outdoor movies popcorn and drinks, a tea dance with a drag queen running it, pool wth both locals and high-faluting international guests from the High end Casa Marina (where we stay every year- $200 a night, for the convention- much less than the regular folks pay! But we take the whole resort) sharing in the "naturist" pool area.

It's just something to think about, when we go posting hostile posts that seem to indicate to folks that "perhaps another ship would be better for them" If enough of those people agree, eventually, something may become unprofitable. There are not enough of us on this list to fill her 7 days a week, all year round!

Karie,

Who has always lived by the adage,

Be careful what you wish for.

We decided to go with Princess for the following reasons:

1. My friend is traveling solo and she can spend a LOT less $$$ for her solo window cabin on Princess (about half of what she would have to pay on QM2)

2. Princess goes to Bar Harbor instead of Portland, ME - and I really loved Bar Harbor and want to go back there.

3. We want to go a bit later, hoping we will have better luck with the colors mid-October (I know this does vary every year - but last time we went in September it was a bit early).

Anyway - thanks again for all of your comments. I will be looking for a chance to try Cunard down the road...

Why I oughta!... after all that song and dance? :)

Well, She had legit reasons that won out. But we do seem to keep hearing this that folks do not want to go on the Qm2, QE2 because they heard it is a class system and people on board are snobs.

Remember, if Cunard can't fill those cabins, Alang may get another for its giant maw.

So which is preferable? Lighten up a bit on the criticism (As Malcolm has admirably done) or chance losing one of our girls?

Its something to think about. Yes, we'd like to uphold the standards, but at some point, if it isn't what MOST of the cruising public wants, one has to ask oneself, at what price?

I was reading another list I'm on tonight, about a place that is going to the wrecking ball. Well, everyone decried this, but you have to remember. the owners don't own the place out of a sense of the history. They need to make a profit, or at least, have the place pay for itself. Yes, another icon is gone. (in this case, a quirky motel in Key West, the Atlantic Shores, which took some pretty severe damage from hurricane Wilma. I know. I was there. and my room in the Reach, acorss the street, (What was left of the Reach, which also had damage) overlooked the Atlantic Shores. It was a qurkly place with a bar the locals loved, and a movie night where they did outdoor movies popcorn and drinks, a tea dance with a drag queen running it, pool wth both locals and high-faluting international guests from the High end Casa Marina (where we stay every year- $200 a night, for the convention- much less than the regular folks pay! But we take the whole resort) sharing in the "naturist" pool area.

It's just something to think about, when we go posting hostile posts that seem to indicate to folks that "perhaps another ship would be better for them" If enough of those people agree, eventually, something may become unprofitable. There are not enough of us on this list to fill her 7 days a week, all year round!

Karie,

Who has always lived by the adage,

Be careful what you wish for.

Good on you girl...you tell 'em!

I like your comment "be careful what you wish for"

I was thinking more of "The first will be last and the last will be first"

Some of us have to fill those other cabins. *G*

I'm sorry if I upset some of you. When I made my post, I really wanted to see what you all had to say about how you thought I would like the QM2. I want to clarify that I did read wonderful things about the Britianna dining and that booking in the lower level cabins was still a wonderful experience.

I also, however, read some posts here from people who did really sound a bit snobby. One I read was a woman who was appalled because her cabin stewart (or maybe butler) called her by her first name. I also read some that praised one ship over another, etc. Anyway, it's really a mute point. Believe me, we have some posters over on the Princess board that are really beginning to bother me.

I want to clarify that you did not "scare me away". I have just made a different choice, and my TA and others are still crusing on the QM2 in Fall 08. Honestly, I think I do need to try the QM2 someday. I love crusing and being at sea - and I do want to experience the "oceanliner" type of cruise.

I just have to look at the finances for a 7 day RT and decide that I can get a much better cabin for the price on Princess. When I decide to go from point A to point B - Being the US to Europe and the ship will be my destination - then you will see me on Cunard.

Until then, please don't feel that you lost me. I'll be there later.

Oh, and - it wasn't a song and dance.. That was kind of mean.

Karie - it wasn't anything to do with us. In fact joyride says "I'm very happy to hear that my impression that Cunard was a bit "snobby" was incorrect."

We do seem to keep hearing this that folks do not want to go on the QM2, QE2 because they heard it is a class system and people on board are snobs.

Next time you're onboard pick up a European (or Australian) brochure - see the difference between that and the class conscious US brochure. The US brochure positively reeks of class distinction where in other brochures it's not mentioned. Who created this impression of class?

the class conscious US brochure....Who created this impression of class?

In 1967 there was a debate over whether the QE2 should be 3 class or 2 class....you get one guess which country, US or UK voted for 3 class......

Peter

Not sure how to put this diplomatically, but here goes - most of the exact same debates re: formality, tipping, and yes, class (thinly veiled) go on at the HAL board (and other boards) and although the OP has made a decision that was NOT based on those things, I do think sometimes people go out of their way to give an inaccurate description of what life is like onboard. Most of us know this already, and if you do, then you needn't bother reading most of what I say. If you have any doubt in your mind about which end is up, read on...

If I'd read cruise critic before our first cruise, I'd have never gone. We would NEVER had tried cruising at all. It's that simple. The HAL board, which I found much, much later, has some fairly harsh and inflexible posters who are utterly convinced that ANY deviation from the rules, especially dress code, is a sign of the apocalypse and folks are regularly urged to go somewhere else - even those who are asking strictly informational questions and obviously have no intention of purposely flaunting the rules. (One poor man in a suite planned to eat on their veranda - course by course, as his accomodation allowed and thereby avoid the dress code - good grief, you'd have thought he was going to the dining room in his underwear, when in fact, he was going nowhere near the dining room and indeed didn't plan to leave his suite at all in the evenings. This upset people a great deal because dining was THEIR preference and the evening meal a highlight of their cruise. Why HIS preference was so troubling I will never understand). I read consistently that other lines may be more suitable and in many cases, I disagree vehemently. A few years after our first cruise but AFTER I'd found cruise critic, I saw some of the formal clothing a friend took on Princess. No question that it would be appropriate on any ship (except resort casual on some RSSC ships - it would have been well out of place there). And, as I have also posted several times (although maybe not here), my dental hygienist had a multi-generation cruise (children to elderly) and they experienced none of the purported bad behavior on their Carnival cruise. So, as much as the stereotypes are repeated, they are often inaccurate and misleading. The lines are not all the same, but it is unfair to insist that a person may be more comfortable on A or B line because of ONE element of a cruise. (An example - I am not a foodie and tend to go for the plainest dishes I can find. Having been to a Todd English restaurant on land, we have no desire to return. Does that mean we won't enjoy our cruise? Of course not). Many of the things on a cruise are truly optional. If someone really wanted to, they could dine ensuite nightly, avoiding most of the tipping and dress code rules without anyone noticing. I don't know why they would, but I don't need to know. It's not MY cruise.

As to jeans, I've read that some folks wouldn't be caught dead in them unless they were gardening. Good on them, but my favorite travel clothes are stretch jeans. I find something tighter more comfortable than loose stuff that bunches up when I fly - I'd rather NOT be wiggling around and adjusting the sagging fabric. To each his own. It's guaranteed that I'll have at least one pair of jeans no matter where I go. And NO, I'm not going to change clothes in the restroom before I leave the plane. How on earth one would do that without sanitary concerns is utterly beyond me. I may even embark wearing jeans, depending on the temperature. Wearing jeans onboard at night is a different story entirely. It won't happen except returning from a late excursion and then I will change into something appropriate for dinner. I've read about a lot of dress code violations. I have seen very, very few - even on HAL where I constantly read that things are "slipping". The only slippage we've really seen is over-worked dining staff, but we had great company at dinner and if the meal stretched out, it didn't matter. We were amongst the last to leave every night anyway.

Also, and this is a real pet peeve, if you go to any of boards for any of the cruiselines, you will see people who find it nearly impossible to answer any question without mentioning what type cabin they prefer - yes, the best accomodations and yes, these are mainly Americans. (I think the class observations are absolutely correct. Our culture is obsessed with the haves and have nots - and no one wants to be a have not, especially on a cruise which most people will never experience in the first place - a fact conveniently forgotten by frequent cruisers). And yes, some of these same posters give the stuffiest possible impression about life onboard when in reality most people are there for pleasure and relaxation and NOT to prance around displaying their finest day and night or to give the staff a hard time with incessant demands for everything under the sun - reasonable or unreasonable. I have been reassured over and over through reading posts on both boards and in private conversation that I will not find QM2 that much different than HAL, especially in terms of compliance to rules. Perhaps some onboard experiences will be better in some ways and I am especially looking forward to those - if service and atmosphere are miles ahead, I will be absolutely thrilled. Reading these boards and going back to some of the others (researching several cruises at once), it is fairly predictable that there will posts laying down the law about this, that and the other. What I've experienced on ships, what I've read about on these boards, and what friends have experienced personally, are all different - as people are all different. The most negative stereotypes are often based on travel years ago or on a single worst-case experience. I "admit" that there are several cruise lines I would never have considered that I do now consider because of interesting itineraries and more buying power. And, there are also some that do not interest me at all - not because of the (alleged) clientele but because I do not find the activities, ship size and/or itineraries my cup of tea.

I guess my point is that each line has its share of elitists, old guard, cheerleaders, rebels, etc. posting online. And, I think it is in the best interests of those of us who are eagerly reading and asking questions to look for the mean and disregard the extremes. Hopefully, I will continue to remind myself of my own advice and maybe even heed it when it comes to choosing a cruise. How bad could any of them be? I will find out for myself and hope that the positive experiences I read about are similar to our own impressions. We've had hiccups in the past and dealt with them. We've missed planes (more than once), worn ourselves out to the point of not enjoying ourselves as much as we should, gotten sick, and generally managed NOT to have the greatest time. We've always tried to make the best of it, lay blame where it was due (mostly on ourselves :o ) and tried to learn from what's happened.

So, here we go on a new adventure and have high hopes, but not TOO high. Some of our "worst" vacations have been in the "best" accomodations in the "best" and most highly recommended places where we had very high expectations - and some of our best have been in places where we had low expectations. I think a reality check is in order when I read superlatives about any experience. They can so easily lead to disappointment if taken to heart. My idea of luxury is probably something I will never actually experience (and few do, other than celebrities and the uber-wealthy) and it's best to keep those fantasies well out of consideration when we travel. I hope to fall in love with Cunard as many of you have done. I want to have a good time. I want things to be pleasant. I want to meet nice, interesting people and hope that we'll have good conversation and perhaps learn from each other, laugh and be pleased to see each other around the ship for yet another shared drink or happy discussion of what we've been enjoying. I find myself a different person on a cruise - a more relaxed and friendly person capable of chatting with strangers like I rarely do here at home. I would hope that no one would discourage us from trying anything new unless there was the expectation of something absolutely horrible - I'm thinking cannibalism maybe - not anything that is actually likely to happen.;)

I should never post when I haven't had enough sleep. I always sound like I'm ranting.:o

Happy Trails :)

Archived