Cosol Tours Island Tour

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:16 PM.
483 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Looking at this tour for a cruise in January '18, wondering if you feel rushed or like it's a lot in one day. Looks like a great tour but it seems like lots of stops. Also, how large is the tour group.

Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess 5/17
Celebrity Equinox 2/16
Celebrity Constellation 1/15
Crown Princess 1/14
Emerald Princess 2/12
Crown Princess 1/10
Caribbean Princess 1/08
Diamond Princess 2/07
Maple Shade, NJ
358 Posts
Joined May 2013
There are a lot of stops but I felt that you got more then enough time for each stop. (with the exception of beach time between the Pitons but I could have spent all day there ha! ) It was very organized chaos. Such a great excursion. As far as the size goes you are with a van full of folks as your group. There are other vans that meet at a few locations but you are ultimately with your van sized group most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Durham, NC
11,956 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I've done Cosol's tour twice. The first time was May 2009. To get to the beach between the Pitons, we were in a tiny boat with an outboard motor and two teens "driving." We were in the back and were pretty much just barely sitting out of the water. Not a lifevest in sight. For a couple of non-swimmers, it was a tad unnerving. But it was fine. Just another "adventures in foreign travel" is how I look at it!

Last time was in December 2015. No one really wanted to spend time at that beach, but I convinced several people that we should at least take the boat ride over so they could get a close-up look at the Pitons. That boat was a larger one. Not huge, but at least it was more than just a dingy!

Going to be there again in November and I'm going to book with Cosol yet again. It's a great tour. Maybe this time I'll do the mud bath!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival: 8/30/17 Ecstasy; 10/30/16 Splendor; 5/1/16 Vista Inaugural (Milestone); 11/28/15 Sunshine Journeys; 10/23/15 Splendor; 5/31/15 Conquest; 11/29/14 Freedom; 11/1/14 Splendor; 5/4/14 Pride; 11/16/13 Conquest; 9/1/13 Fantasy; 5/3/13 Fantasy; 10/22/12 & 10/27/12 B2B Fantasy; 11/26/11 Fascination; 10/16/11 Glory; 5/23/10 Fantasy; 12/14/09 Miracle (Platinum!); 10/24/09 Triumph (CTN); 5/17/09 Victory; 12/13/08 Fascination; 5/17/08 Glory; 12/17/07 Miracle; 12/18/06 Elation; 05/13/06 Fantasy; 06/20/04 Fantasy; 04/16/01 Jubilee
HAL: 1/5/17 Zuiderdam; 11/21/10 Zaandam
Royal Caribbean: 04/19/03 Nordic Empress
MA, USA
1,294 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by lakegirl16
Looking at this tour for a cruise in January '18, wondering if you feel rushed or like it's a lot in one day. Looks like a great tour but it seems like lots of stops. Also, how large is the tour group.

Thanks!
I did this tour a few years ago and it was rushed for us. Our driver tried like heck to skip the mud bath place. When a few people said they wanted to stop he was annoyed and kept talking about time. I think he would have made the entrance fee if we didn't stop. There was really a lot and it wasn't overall a bad tour but just a bit too much for a day and too much time in the taxi.
Aldergrove, BC
81 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by lakegirl16

Thanks!
I'm also looking at this one for January '18. I am curious, for those that have done it, do you tip all the food providers at the stops for sampling etc? I'm not adverse to tipping, just want to be prepared. I usually tip the driver but since there will be so many stops with foods and things, I'm wondering...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Carnival Holiday - September 1995 - Honeymoon Cruise!

Coral Princess - September 2010 - Pacific Coastal cruise.

RCL Adventure of the Seas - March 2016 - Southern Caribbean Cruise!
wisconsin
1,232 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
I did not tip at all the food sampling stops along the way. However we did give the driver a generous tip. We did a private tour. 6 of us in a van. It was great. If we wanted to stay longer or shorter at one place we could. If there is a group of you up to 8, I would inquire about a private tour. Sometimes this is close per person to what you might pay in a bigger group and a lot more roomy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary

Harmony of the Seas - Lg. Family Cruise - 2017
Adventure of the Seas - 2016
Liberty of the Seas - 2015
Oasis of the Seas - 2015
Enchantment of the Seas 2014 - Lg. Family Cruise
Monarch of the Seas 2009 - Lg. Family Cruise
Carnival Valor - 2004
Carnival Elation - 1999
Aldergrove, BC
81 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by maryjaden
I did not tip at all the food sampling stops along the way. However we did give the driver a generous tip. We did a private tour. 6 of us in a van. It was great. If we wanted to stay longer or shorter at one place we could. If there is a group of you up to 8, I would inquire about a private tour. Sometimes this is close per person to what you might pay in a bigger group and a lot more roomy.
Thanks, there's just two of us so we'll probably do the group thing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

84 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Hi, I just did the tour last week, and I'd describe it as a highlight of the cruise!

Some caveats:
1. it really is all-day, about 6-7 hours.
2. The roads in St. Lucia are like a rollercoaster - constantly winding left and right, up-and-down hills. It can take some adjusting.

You're in a van with about 10-12 people total. However, at various points, you will meet up with other vans on the tour - when the gigantic feast happens. And that feast was the best part in my opinion! Also, nonstop Piton beer and rum punch all day!

Some parts are a bit rushed, but that's because of the distance traveled, and they definitely want you back to the ship on time. We did everything on the tour's itinerary - my guide was the Yellow Bird, and he was a real pro- answered any and all questions and has clearly been doing this a long time. I ended up buying some banana ketchup to take home too.

You do not have to tip the various vendors that pop up along the way at all.
Aldergrove, BC
81 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by SouthCaribbean2017
Hi, I just did the tour last week, and I'd describe it as a highlight of the cruise!

Some caveats:
1. it really is all-day, about 6-7 hours.
2. The roads in St. Lucia are like a rollercoaster - constantly winding left and right, up-and-down hills. It can take some adjusting.

You're in a van with about 10-12 people total. However, at various points, you will meet up with other vans on the tour - when the gigantic feast happens. And that feast was the best part in my opinion! Also, nonstop Piton beer and rum punch all day!

Some parts are a bit rushed, but that's because of the distance traveled, and they definitely want you back to the ship on time. We did everything on the tour's itinerary - my guide was the Yellow Bird, and he was a real pro- answered any and all questions and has clearly been doing this a long time. I ended up buying some banana ketchup to take home too.

You do not have to tip the various vendors that pop up along the way at all.
Thanks for the detailed updated info. This sounds perfect!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

wisconsin
1,232 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
The banana ketchup was awesome!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary

Harmony of the Seas - Lg. Family Cruise - 2017
Adventure of the Seas - 2016
Liberty of the Seas - 2015
Oasis of the Seas - 2015
Enchantment of the Seas 2014 - Lg. Family Cruise
Monarch of the Seas 2009 - Lg. Family Cruise
Carnival Valor - 2004
Carnival Elation - 1999
MA, USA
1,294 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by RobinCruiser
I'm also looking at this one for January '18. I am curious, for those that have done it, do you tip all the food providers at the stops for sampling etc? I'm not adverse to tipping, just want to be prepared. I usually tip the driver but since there will be so many stops with foods and things, I'm wondering...

We had the stop for lunch with lots of tables of food, no one particular to tip. The other stops the driver just jumped out, got the samples, and handed them back to us in the taxi. We didn't get out. As I said it was very rushed.
Charlotte, NC
2,651 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Did anyone else get the island "via-gra" on their tour? We were given shots of Local rum with a bunch of herbs mixed in, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
MA, USA
1,294 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by Herfnerd
Did anyone else get the island "via-gra" on their tour? We were given shots of Local rum with a bunch of herbs mixed in, lol!

Yeah, they gave us that stuff. I recall it was right when we were getting out of the taxis to go on the boat or something.
183 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Just book it. We are in port 28 Nov on board the Celebrity Summit. We've been on my tours like these on the various cruises we've taken but this one seems like it has the potential to be the best one yet from all the review in here we've been ready!!
Binghamton, NY
1,062 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by Herfnerd

That stuff kicked some booty!!! I think they gave it out when we stopped for the bread on the way back to the ship!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
KAYE

London, Ontario
1,811 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by frayedend
Yeah, they gave us that stuff. I recall it was right when we were getting out of the taxis to go on the boat or something.
That is when we got our first taste of it as well. Not many on our bus liked it, but that left more for me. I wish I could have bought a bottle to take back on the ship with me. Thinking of booking this trip again in December just for the rum punch
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Freedom of the Seas - March 12, 2017
Freedom of the Seas - March 13, 2016
Allure of the Seas - March 15, 2015
Independence of the Seas - March 9, 2014
Celebrity Summit - December 28, 2013
Oasis of the Seas - March 9, 2013
Liberty of the Seas - March 12, 2012
Carnival Valor - March 13, 2011
Norwegian Spirit - March 10, 2007
Norwegian Sun - March 8, 2003