Island Tours?

NCTribeFan

I'm sailing on Carnival Sunshine on an 11-night cruise departing 11/28 and will be in Tortola on Thursday, 12/3/15.

I've read all about The Baths and would love to see them, but my travel companion has been to Tortola and Virgin Gorda many times. So, I'll just have to save that for another day.

I'm not a swimmer, so the various sailing and snorkeling excursions don't really interest me, especially when I read about having to jump in and swim to the beach.

Carnival has an excursion that combines an offshore portion and island tour, but I don't particularly want to spend $80 and I really detest ship excursions. So much time wasted herding people on and off buses. And the more people on an excursion, the more likely to have multiple folks who don't believe they actually need to be back on the bus when told so hold everyone up (and they're never left behind). :(

Anyway, I'm not seeing much about island tours being offered. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations?

I'm not typically a get-off-the-ship-and-wing-it sort of traveler. I prefer to book in advance with someone who is reputable and who folks here have dealt with and can recommend.

But if there are taxi tours available at the pier, and anyone here and done this, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

No worries, there are drivers waiting at the pier offering various island tours, some with beach time, and all at very affordable rates. Great way to see beautiful Tortola! You'll be in an open-sided safari truck taxi with others for that price of course. If you want something private that can be arranged but I'd recommend the typical safari taxi tour for the best experience.

You can also just taxi to one of the beautiful beaches for $8pp - $12pp each way depending on the experience you want (busy with several beach bars, secluded with no amenities, or something in between).

There are also excellent daysails if you want to spend time on the water while others snorkel.

After you can enjoy a nice lunch at Pusser's Pub near the dock, an English-style pub that has great food and drink, and a nice clothing store in the rear and upstairs. And Sunny Caribbee is a great little spice and rub shop located near the dock.

Edited by blue_water

Thanks!

I like to see the beaches and maybe have a local beer, but I typically like an island tour on my first visit. There are very few places where I'll go and just spend a beach day and never on my first visit.

Still thinking about The Baths with a few other Roll Call people on-our-own, but it just sounds like 95% of the people on the ship are going to be heading there.

Any idea of what these safari-bus tours might cost?

I also don't cruise to shop, but wouldn't mind having a pint as long as the place isn't just a tourist trap. ;)

We haven't taken the tours because we stay on Tortola but I believe they're around $20pp maybe? That would include spectacular panoramic views of the beaches and islands from the mountain top, and perhaps a tour of the oldest continuously operating rum distillery in the Carib, and maybe a drink at Bomba's Shack. Each tour is different and you can modify it as a group.

Pusser's may be busy but it's a fun spot for a pint.

The Baths are unique but it will be crowded with fellow cruisers whether you go on your own or with the ship excursion.

Edited by blue_water

Yes I understand. The tours make this a very easy option with little to no pre-planning required. You'll have a lot of time left to see the new cruise dock area, hit Pusser's for a lunch, and grab a neat gift from the Sunny Caribbee spice & rub shop...

No worries, there are drivers waiting at the pier offering various island tours, some with beach time, and all at very affordable rates. Great way to see beautiful Tortola! You'll be in an open-sided safari truck taxi with others for that price of course. If you want something private that can be arranged but I'd recommend the typical safari taxi tour for the best experience.

We will be traveling with a friend who has serious back problems. I fear the safari truck would not be comfortable for him. So who would people recommend to contact for a private tour? There will be 4-5 of us.

We will be traveling with a friend who has serious back problems. I fear the safari truck would not be comfortable for him. So who would people recommend to contact for a private tour? There will be 4-5 of us.

Here is a listing of the taxi tour services. You could e-mail bvitaxiassoc@yahoo.com or one of the others & arrange for a smaller air conditioned:)vehicle.

http://www.bvitourism.com/taxi-services

[quote=xxxyyz;47846251

Yes as harp harp noted you can try to arrange in advance to meet a driver, and there are also van taxis waiting for folks wanting more comfortable and private transportation. We know a very nice driver but he is off island during the low season - when are you there?

Edited by blue_water

Yes as harp harp noted you can try to arrange in advance to meet a driver, and there are also van taxis waiting for folks wanting more comfortable and private transportation. We know a very nice driver but he is off island during the low season - when are you there?

Unfortunately, it will be quite soon. We should be there on Oct 17th so expect your driver will be off island.

Joan, we visited Tortola in February 2014 on Carnival Freedom. When we got off the ship, there were open air taxis lined up with drivers/guides offering island tours. We went with Reese of Chris Taxi for $15 each (well worth twice that). The tour lasted about 3 hours with several stops including 30 minutes at Cane Garden Bay. The whole island is beautiful and Reese can tell you all about it. The tour was excellent.

You can reach him at ISLANDBBLUV@yahoo.com if you wish to ask him any questions or get something set up ahead of time.

• 4 weeks later...

I have booked a helicopter tour that seems quite reasonable: Antilles Helicopter Services – BVI Ltd. They have different tours available for you to choose from at different price points. It will allow you to see the island from a different vantage point and since you are booking directly with them, it will be less expensive than on the ship. They are listed on Trip advisor also and have nothing but excellent reviews. http://www.antilleshelicopterservices.com/

I hope you enjoy!

Yes, great way to see the islands from above, their Angel's Window tour sounds very nice but is the priciest. But what views! It would be an even better experience if it included a champagne lunch on one of the many secluded islands...Is that an option on any of their tours?

We have only seen the islands of the BVI while flying into EIS and it is beautiful, especially Tortola. We plan to take an aerial tour in the future with another outfit that drops you on Anegada for the day. That is only an option for land visitors, of course.

They have 3 other tours that are much less and are really nice. http://www.antilleshelicopterservices.com/scenic%20tours.html

We are going on Nature's Kaleidoscope. $130/pp for 25 minutes in the air. If you contact them, they will also work with you on what you'd like to see. The least expensive is "Cloud 9" $90/pp for 20 minutes. Each tour takes you to see different places too. If you don't have 4 people in your party, they will find other people to share the tour.

Edited by seadancer

They have 3 other tours that are much less and are really nice. http://www.antilleshelicopterservices.com/scenic%20tours.html

We are going on Nature's Kaleidoscope. $130/pp for 25 minutes in the air. If you contact them, they will also work with you on what you'd like to see. The least expensive is "Cloud 9" $90/pp for 20 minutes. Each tour takes you to see different places too. If you don't have 4 people in your party, they will find other people to share the tour.

Yes we've looked at their tours before. If you also have enough time to see some of Tortola up close (via land tour or just a taxi to a beach) that would make it a great day. Driving the island and spending time at one of the gorgeous beaches is a must!

• 3 weeks later...

No interest in helicopter tours!

KroozFools, wish we'd talked about this while on Splendor! I just now re-read your post! If I had any idea how many people were interested, I'd contact him. Getting people to commit when there's no pre-payment involved, is difficult, as we know. I just don't want to say "we have 10 people interested in an island tour with a beach stop" and then waste 20 minutes waiting for 4 of them who don't show. :mad:

You know what I mean!

I may contact him anyway. Thanks for the link.

Another question - someone on our Roll Call said the taxi stand is a 10-minute walk away from the pier, over by the ferry dock.

Is this where the safari tour buses will be or will they be there right at the pier?

We're trying to decide where to meet off the ship and someone suggested the taxi stand (but they're going off site for a catamaran excursion).

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
The safari tour buses were at the cruise ship pier.

There well may be a taxi stand near the ferry dock as well, as those folks arriving via ferry might be looking for a taxi, but the tour we took was from the cruise ship pier.

But how far is it from the ship to the cruise ship pier where the TAXI/TOUR is located?

• 3 weeks later...

Before I make any recommendations for my sister, she is arriving on the Gem which only has a 7-1pm port time.

Will those safari buses have good tours that fit that time schedule? Alternatively- are there any close by beaches that are real nice for swimming- not "bar" priorities. :) It's one place I've never been, and trying to find a low cost option, with the preference of seeing some of the island and scenery.

Before I make any recommendations for my sister, she is arriving on the Gem which only has a 7-1pm port time.

Will those safari buses have good tours that fit that time schedule? Alternatively- are there any close by beaches that are real nice for swimming- not "bar" priorities. :) It's one place I've never been, and trying to find a low cost option, with the preference of seeing some of the island and scenery.

Yes, they cater to the cruise ship schedules and there are options for a beach break. Most will stop at Cane Garden Bay which will be busy. However CGB is a nice swimming bay with a gradual entry and there are great options for an early lunch.

If a more personal or private option is wanted you can rent your own van or car taxi for an hourly rate with a tour and go to a quieter beach like Long Bay (Beef Island) or Smuggler's Cove. These are frequented more by locals and land vacationers...

Either way great photo ops and a very nice day!

Edited by blue_water