What's next for me? (Mitsugirly)

mitsugirly

We are going to be heading back to St Thomas. We have been to Sapphire and Coki. This trip, there will probably be 3 of us (2 adults, 1 child-who can and will do anything the adults do...so don't take the "child" part too serious when suggesting a place depending on what it is). :D

We are beach/ocean people. Love snorkeling (from the beach), but not "required". Give me your beautiful beaches, location, how much to get there and how long it takes, if it has vendors with food/drinks and chair/umbrella rental with pricing. Let me know what suggestions you have for us. :)

(Not looking to head over to St John or anything, that's just a little too nerve wracking for me to think about for some reason). :eek:

Also, we will be back in St Thomas for a second a few months later as a larger family group of at least 8 people.

What cruise line? Water Island is an easy "on your own" adventure from Crown Bay. We visited in 2007 and were there with only one other family and went again in 2014 and noticed that cruise ship excursions have become a popular thing. We rented golf cart from Kelly and swam with sea turtles for over an hour. Not much snorkeling here. There is facilities, shade, and food for purchase.

Magens Bay is our happy place. We love it so much that we rented a villa for a week that overlooked our favorite beach. No snorkeling here but wonderful shade from palm trees and food/drink available for purchase.

When our son was young - maybe 6 or 7, we did a mini boat excursion through Island Marketing. Fun day and a beautiful way to see the island and great snorkeling. Word of warning - not so easy to get in and out of the boat! But our son had a blast!

Don't give up on the St John idea. Truly a gorgeous island. I was always afraid to visit by cruise too so we added on a 2 night stay on St John when we decided to rent the villa at Magens Bay. Fell in love with the beautiful beaches and laid back island life of the island and we will be spending 10 nights on St John next month. Snorkeling from shore is amazing! Maybe look at a cruise excursion if the budget will allow - that way you won't worry about the logistics of taking the ferry. Truly is a special place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What cruise line? Water Island is an easy "on your own" adventure from Crown Bay. We visited in 2007 and were there with only one other family and went again in 2014 and noticed that cruise ship excursions have become a popular thing. We rented golf cart from Kelly and swam with sea turtles for over an hour. Not much snorkeling here. There is facilities, shade, and food for purchase.

Magens Bay is our happy place. We love it so much that we rented a villa for a week that overlooked our favorite beach. No snorkeling here but wonderful shade from palm trees and food/drink available for purchase.

When our son was young - maybe 6 or 7, we did a mini boat excursion through Island Marketing. Fun day and a beautiful way to see the island and great snorkeling. Word of warning - not so easy to get in and out of the boat! But our son had a blast!

Don't give up on the St John idea. Truly a gorgeous island. I was always afraid to visit by cruise too so we added on a 2 night stay on St John when we decided to rent the villa at Magens Bay. Fell in love with the beautiful beaches and laid back island life of the island and we will be spending 10 nights on St John next month. Snorkeling from shore is amazing! Maybe look at a cruise excursion if the budget will allow - that way you won't worry about the logistics of taking the ferry. Truly is a special place.

I just looked up Water Island and searched some pictures online. WOW! :eek: It looks beautiful there! I will definitely check more into that. Did you use a vendor to get there? Do you only get there by using someone private, or cruise line, or is there a ferry of some sort to get there? How long does it take to get there? How did you swim with the sea turtles? Were they just out in the water when you were there and you were able to be around them? Or was it an excursion that took you out away from the island?

I have yet to go to Magens, but since we will be back in November with the entire extended family, I believe that is probably where we will head with them. So, I'm saving it for that trip.

I'm still unsure about trying the St John thing. It's just a little intimidating to me for some reason (which is really weird because I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to booking things on my own. :confused:

The Water Island Ferry leaves from Crown Bay Marina - so a quick walk if your ship docks here. You buy your tickets at the end of the dock - there's a restaurant/bar and a small grocery where you could pick up snacks and drinks for the island.

The ferry is small but a quick ride to Water Island - maybe a 20 minutes. It seems like the cost is around $10 round trip. Both trips, we enjoyed chatting with the locals.

We rented from Kelly's Karts on our last visit just so we could explore and not just hang out at beach all day. She will meet you at the ferry with the cart. There is some history on the island that relates to WWII and we really wanted to check out the homes to see if we would like to rent and stay on the island. A golf cart is not required , in 2007 when it was like a deserted island, we just walked to Honeymoon Beach. Not far at all!

There is a restaurant/beach bar located at each end of the beach and restrooms. Remember that we experienced 2 party boats (cruise excursions) pulling up to the beach during lunch time and dropping off passengers to eat. They really weren't there much more than an hour and a half.

When we first visited in 2007, we walked to this beach and there was only one other family there - they owned a home on Water Island and were visiting from our home state of NC. No bars and just a couple of picnic tables spread on beach. We fell in love and that sweet family drove us to the ferry on their golf cart when we were ready to go back to the ship. It is a beautiful beach and we still LOVED our visit in June 2014 when we had to share with others! After renting the villa on St Thomas for the week, this was a little escape from the hustle and bustle.

The swim area is roped off so you won't venture out into the open water and boat traffic. Lots of grass so that usually means turtles! No excursion, just snorkeling around and found three of them to follow out near the rope. Of course no guarantee on the turtles, but if you go to trip advisor and read reviews for Water Island there have been recent reports too.

I probably wouldn't do water island unless I was docked at Crown Bay. Not sure it's worth a cab ride too.

If you are cruising this summer, not as many ships in port so the crowds will probably be fine.

Edited by unionville3

"I probably wouldn't do water island unless I was docked at Crown Bay. Not sure it's worth a cab ride too. "

We've gone several times from the Havensight dock. $6 taxi pp one way to Crown Bay Marina. Very easy to do. Most times there is a taxi waiting for a fare for your return. If not, we've asked them at the restaurant to call for one. They were very accommodating.

The little ferry is very dependable, runs on a schedule, but limited to maybe 15 or so passengers.

Go to VINOW dot com and the ferry schedule is there under "Water Island".

Other than when the excursions are there, it's a beautiful secluded beach.

Lindquist Beach is the most beautiful beach that I have been to but there are few facilities there. It is being developed so you might want to check it out.

I will take a look. Thanks for your input.

The Water Island Ferry leaves from Crown Bay Marina - so a quick walk if your ship docks here. You buy your tickets at the end of the dock - there's a restaurant/bar and a small grocery where you could pick up snacks and drinks for the island.

The ferry is small but a quick ride to Water Island - maybe a 20 minutes. It seems like the cost is around $10 round trip. Both trips, we enjoyed chatting with the locals.

We rented from Kelly's Karts on our last visit just so we could explore and not just hang out at beach all day. She will meet you at the ferry with the cart. There is some history on the island that relates to WWII and we really wanted to check out the homes to see if we would like to rent and stay on the island. A golf cart is not required , in 2007 when it was like a deserted island, we just walked to Honeymoon Beach. Not far at all!

There is a restaurant/beach bar located at each end of the beach and restrooms. Remember that we experienced 2 party boats (cruise excursions) pulling up to the beach during lunch time and dropping off passengers to eat. They really weren't there much more than an hour and a half.

When we first visited in 2007, we walked to this beach and there was only one other family there - they owned a home on Water Island and were visiting from our home state of NC. No bars and just a couple of picnic tables spread on beach. We fell in love and that sweet family drove us to the ferry on their golf cart when we were ready to go back to the ship. It is a beautiful beach and we still LOVED our visit in June 2014 when we had to share with others! After renting the villa on St Thomas for the week, this was a little escape from the hustle and bustle.

The swim area is roped off so you won't venture out into the open water and boat traffic. Lots of grass so that usually means turtles! No excursion, just snorkeling around and found three of them to follow out near the rope. Of course no guarantee on the turtles, but if you go to trip advisor and read reviews for Water Island there have been recent reports too.

I probably wouldn't do water island unless I was docked at Crown Bay. Not sure it's worth a cab ride too.

If you are cruising this summer, not as many ships in port so the crowds will probably be fine.

Everything sounds wonderful there and thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

We probably won't dock at Crown Bay, so I guess that's a bummer. I have never docked there before. :( What cruise lines usually dock in that area?

We are looking to cruise in August (14th) the cruise tt schedule says we are the only ship there that day. Now whether or not that will change, who knows.

"I probably wouldn't do water island unless I was docked at Crown Bay. Not sure it's worth a cab ride too. "

We've gone several times from the Havensight dock. $6 taxi pp one way to Crown Bay Marina. Very easy to do. Most times there is a taxi waiting for a fare for your return. If not, we've asked them at the restaurant to call for one. They were very accommodating.

The little ferry is very dependable, runs on a schedule, but limited to maybe 15 or so passengers.

Go to VINOW dot com and the ferry schedule is there under "Water Island".

Other than when the excursions are there, it's a beautiful secluded beach.

Thanks for the info. We might be alright since it says we are the only one in port that day (which is weird and a first for us if this is true). How long does it take to get there?

Only 15 passengers? :eek:

I still can't find the ferry scheduled. I tried for a long time last night and could find every schedule other than the Water Island ferry. I tried just now too and still can't locate it. :o :(

Even when I'm on the Water Island and click ferry, I only get:

St. Thomas - St. John Passenger Ferry

Red Hook → Cruz Bay

Cruz Bay → Red Hook

Charlotte Amalie - Cruz Bay

Those are the only options on there. :confused:

We cruised Princess and docked in Crown Bay. If you are the only ship it would be easy to grab a cab to the ferry. Especially since their won't be anyone over at that cruise dock. I'm going to try to post ferry info

Water Island

Ferry operates between St. Thomas (Crown Bay) and Water Island (Phillips Landing).

Water Island Ferry(340) 690-4159

AdultsKids (2-11)Luggage/Boxes

$5.00$3.00$1.00 piece

$10.00$5.00

25 Min Travel Time

Crown Bay → Water Island

Monday-Saturday

6:30 am

7:15 am

8:00 am

10:00 am

11:00 am

Noon

1:15 pm

2:15 pm

3:15 pm

4:15 pm

5:15 pm

6:00 pm

9:00 pm

Sundays and Holidays

8:00 am

10:00 am

Noon

1:15 pm

3:15 pm

4:15 pm

5:15 pm

6:00 pm

Water Island → Crown Bay

Monday-Saturday

6:45 am

7:30 am

8:15 am

10:15 am

11:15 am

12:15 pm

1:30 pm

2:30 pm

3:30 pm

4:30 pm

5:30 pm

6:15 pm

9:15 pm

Sundays and Holidays

8:15 am

10:15 am

12:15 pm

1:30 pm

3:30 pm

5:30 pm

6:15 pm

* Holidays (Thanksgiving & Christmas)

We cruised Princess and docked in Crown Bay. If you are the only ship it would be easy to grab a cab to the ferry. Especially since their won't be anyone over at that cruise dock. I'm going to try to post ferry info

Oh ok. Well, this will be Carnival, so I imagine that they will dock over at WICO, but I'm not sure. I have never been there on a Carnival ship (always NCL).

Schedule posted

Thanks for this info. You have been most helpful!

My TA just sent me some information and it list all the ports and says something about

"Sit back and enjoy a relaxing half-day sail to Buck Island aboard a large sailing yacht, then snorkel in Turtle Cove."

Where and what is Buck Island and this Turtle Cove? :confused:

Kim, the champagne cat sail to STJ offered through the ship is a very nice day, and no worries about getting to STJ and back on your own. Just a thought!

[EDIT]

I think you would be disappointed with Honeymoon Beach on WI, just because it gets so busy there with tour operators dropping folks off. I think a daysail like the champagne cat, the Buck Island sail, or even a more private excursion with High Pockets or Yacht Nightwind would be much nicer.

Edited by blue_water

Lindquist Beach is Royal Carribeans Secret Sands Beach excursion. You can get there by taxi.

I just googled some pictures for Lindquist and it looks beautiful! I'll have to check in to it more.

Kim, the champagne cat sail to STJ offered through the ship is a very nice day, and no worries about getting to STJ and back on your own. Just a thought!

[EDIT]

I think you would be disappointed with Honeymoon Beach on WI, just because it gets so busy there with tour operators dropping folks off. I think a daysail like the champagne cat, the Buck Island sail, or even a more private excursion with High Pockets or Yacht Nightwind would be much nicer.

I will look at the STJ excursion and see.

Blue do you think it will be busy during the times we will be there (week of Aug 14)? It says that we are the only ship in port that day. I have read that it's busier in the Winter (and especially in February) and then also when there's a ship docked at Crown. What are your thoughts about us being the only ship in port and docked at WICO in August?

I just googled some pictures for Lindquist and it looks beautiful! I'll have to check in to it more.

Lindqvist / Smith Bay Park is arguably the nicest beach on the island. Haven't snorkeled there so can't help with that. But if you go on your own stop at Gourmet Gallery at WICO and grab lunch and drinks, just restrooms and limited amenities so far. Lindqvist is located between Sapphire and Coki but was recently taken over by the park...

I will look at the STJ excursion and see.

Blue do you think it will be busy during the times we will be there (week of Aug 14)? It says that we are the only ship in port that day. I have read that it's busier in the Winter (and especially in February) and then also when there's a ship docked at Crown. What are your thoughts about us being the only ship in port and docked at WICO in August?

Will it be crowded at Water Island? Hard to say with 1 ship in port in AUg, may not be too bad. There are now 2 bars/grills, one at each end of the small bay. Dinghy's gets quite busy with the tours stopping in, but you should easily find free lounges there. Heidi's on the other end has been there longer and doesn't get quite as mobbed, probably because the beach is nicer by Dinghy's.

So if you're interested in that you'll probably find it's more like the Coki vibe than the Sapphire vibe...

We are all for the laid back beaches, so we can sip a drink and go snorkel whenever we want. We take our snorkel gear to Secret Harbour and walk right in and go snorkeling. The last time we were there was (2014) and we are going this October and we will be doing the same thing. There was no crowd, there is a dive shop to rent gear (if you do not have your own), rent chairs and umbrellas. There is also a beach type bar there that you can get food and drinks as well. From the port, I believe it is $10 per person each way by taxi, but do not quote me on that one. I will be taking a group of 9 there, so hopefully they have as much fun as we did on our last trip :eek:

Lindqvist / Smith Bay Park is arguably the nicest beach on the island. Haven't snorkeled there so can't help with that. But if you go on your own stop at Gourmet Gallery at WICO and grab lunch and drinks, just restrooms and limited amenities so far. Lindqvist is located between Sapphire and Coki but was recently taken over by the park...

Will it be crowded at Water Island? Hard to say with 1 ship in port in AUg, may not be too bad. There are now 2 bars/grills, one at each end of the small bay. Dinghy's gets quite busy with the tours stopping in, but you should easily find free lounges there. Heidi's on the other end has been there longer and doesn't get quite as mobbed, probably because the beach is nicer by Dinghy's.

So if you're interested in that you'll probably find it's more like the Coki vibe than the Sapphire vibe...

"The nicest beach on the island" Hmmm, why haven't I been there yet??? :p While I love snorkeling, as many ports as this cruise will have, I'm fine with just a relaxing day at a beautiful beach. Where is this Gourmet Gallery located at? How far from the port and what type of items do they have? Do you know the cost? I usually take a small cooler with me for pop, I suppose that any sandwiches we might purchase would need cooled as well? (If that's what they offer).

I will definitely have to take this into consideration. Maybe I'll talk it over with the family and see which one they would rather do and whatever one they decide NOT to do, we'll do this time. :D

We are all for the laid back beaches, so we can sip a drink and go snorkel whenever we want. We take our snorkel gear to Secret Harbour and walk right in and go snorkeling. The last time we were there was (2014) and we are going this October and we will be doing the same thing. There was no crowd, there is a dive shop to rent gear (if you do not have your own), rent chairs and umbrellas. There is also a beach type bar there that you can get food and drinks as well. From the port, I believe it is $10 per person each way by taxi, but do not quote me on that one. I will be taking a group of 9 there, so hopefully they have as much fun as we did on our last trip :eek:

That sounds awesome as well and with facilities there to buy food and drinks, that might work out good as well.

Oh gosh, so many choices. :eek:

Yes consider Lindqvist if you want a gorgeous beach with restrooms and not much else, to get lounges you probably have to take the "Secret Sands" excursion through the ship. Not sure how much time you get there with the excursion, but if lounges are important look at that option. Lindqvist has always been that beautiful "Caribbean beach" and you may want to hit that before it gets even busier. Our choice for a beach day when no ships are in port...

Secret Harbor is home to a condo property (Secret Harbour Resort) and is a smaller bay than Sapphire, for example. You can rent lounges and umbrellas from the dive shop but you are limited to a specific section of the beach -

http://www.aadivers.com

A very calm bay and there is a nice beach restaurant as well as snorkeling. SH gives you more of a resort feel than Sapphire, similar to the Emerald Beach Resort in Lindbergh Bay. We've always preferred Sapphire over SH but everyone should see the different beaches for themselves as everyone is different.

Taxi to Lindqvist and SH is $20 round trip, SH is close to the Ritz Carlton and Elysian Beach (Cowpet Bay), Elysian is a good choice if you're looking for a beach with some amenities and probably no fellow cruisers...

And look at the daysail options mentioned as that's another excellent option when in STT.

Gourmet Gallery has great subs and is located in building VI. One of the best delis on the island.

http://gourmetgallery.net/self-service-delicatessen.php

Edited by blue_water

Yes consider Lindqvist if you want a gorgeous beach with restrooms and not much else, to get lounges you probably have to take the "Secret Sands" excursion through the ship. Not sure how much time you get there with the excursion, but if lounges are important look at that option. Lindqvist has always been that beautiful "Caribbean beach" and you may want to hit that before it gets even busier. Our choice for a beach day when no ships are in port...

Secret Harbor is home to a condo property (Secret Harbour Resort) and is a smaller bay than Sapphire, for example. You can rent lounges and umbrellas from the dive shop but you are limited to a specific section of the beach -

www.aadivers.com

A very calm bay and there is a nice beach restaurant as well as snorkeling. SH gives you more of a resort feel than Sapphire, similar to the Emerald Beach Resort in Lindbergh Bay. We've always preferred Sapphire over SH but everyone should see the different beaches for themselves as everyone is different.

Taxi to Lindqvist and SH is $20 round trip, SH is close to the Ritz Carlton and Elysian Beach (Cowpet Bay), Elysian is a good choice if you're looking for a beach with some amenities and probably no fellow cruisers...

And look at the daysail options mentioned as that's another excellent option when in STT.

Gourmet Gallery has great subs and is located in building VI. One of the best delis on the island.

http://gourmetgallery.net/self-service-delicatessen.php

We can do very primitive if needed. No chairs required. The hubby is usually the only one wanting to sit in a chair anyhow. Me and my daughter are usually pretty active 99% of the time and stay in the water. :D

Thanks for the info on Gourmet Gallery. I'll make sure to stop and grabs some subs before heading to a taxi if we go here. Do you recall how much the subs were and the size?

We can do very primitive if needed. No chairs required. The hubby is usually the only one wanting to sit in a chair anyhow. Me and my daughter are usually pretty active 99% of the time and stay in the water. :D

I think LIndqvist is perfect for you then - I'm curious to see how you rate it! There may be lounges now for all I know, it seems to be attracting more people now that the cruise ship excursions are going there...

Thanks for the info on Gourmet Gallery. I'll make sure to stop and grabs some subs before heading to a taxi if we go here. Do you recall how much the subs were and the size?

Sorry no. You can make a nice sub, hard roll sandwich or baguette and share as needed, several options and great ingredients.

I have been researching and reading other comments/questions on the boards today for Lindquist/Smith Bay and I believe this is where I have decided to go this time around. :)

I did read a comment from a cruise that it's hard to get a taxi back because there is no place for them to park and wait/pick up passengers and they are not waiting for you. This was posted in April this year. Nothing was ever posted after this post to confirm or deny. :confused:

However, I did read an article about the US Government purchasing property there in 2006 (and now having a fee of $5pp to get in for non-residents after February 2016). There was another article that stated that they constructed a road going there (instead of dirt) and that they had put in a parking lot that held 500 vehicles (including a drive that you could use to go down to the beach to drop off items, but had to come back up to park). So, it sounded like they have plenty of room for parking and for taxis to me. :confused:

So, will we be alright to go here and be able to find a taxi to bring us back to the port?

I'm definitely going to stop at the Gourmet store and grab some food to bring in our cooler and we should be good to go.

I am going to the most beautiful beach on St Thomas that I never knew about until now. :D :p

BTW Blue, I just noticed that Carnival is now offering excursions to Sapphire Beach. :eek: (I didn't know this until now...so it just might be news to me).