If you make a claim; did was your quote higher the next time?

Trekker954

I don't think this is like homeowner or auto insurance, but I wanted to check. For those that have made a claim, did you notice your quote/rate was higher the next time you got cruise insurance. (company TG).

We had to cancel a cruise last June and did file a claim. The claim was paid, finally and when we booked a new cruise for this May there was no real price increase for the insurance. We used a different insurer because of the problems we had with the original one getting the claim settled but we did tell the new company about the claim. The one thing we had to do differently was buy our insurance quickly because I now have a pre-exsisting medical condition that would not be covered unless we bought our policy with 7 to 10 days depending on the insurer.

You could check with Steve at

TripInsuranceStore.com

for this and any travel insurance questions.

Our understanding is that the rates are 'set' by the insurers for the type of policy, and don't change for specific characteristics of the insured EXCEPT for age categories.

We've had the same experience as Mr. Click, except that we stayed with the same insurer, in part because of the prompt handling of our claim.

So far the only thing that has "changed", rate-wise, is an overall percentage increase in coverage, but that was for everyone getting that type of policy.

There will be other increases as either of us bumps into an older age category.

We, too, always get coverage that waives any pre-existing condition exclusions.

But because we realize that in some cases, we might be changing our plans a lot, Steve recommended another policy type where we can wait until final payment (of the largest non-refundable costs), and then start the coverage.

However, and this could be important, one must be fit to travel on the day one purchases the coverage.

So as soon as there is ANY significant non-refundable cost, we'd quickly get the coverage. Otherwise, there is a risk that we couldn't get insurance if one of us was sick when we had to make the final payment, and then we'd be out any previous non-refundable costs.

We've learned a lot from this forum and especially more "details" from Steve and his staff.

GeezerCouple

Years ago I had a client who used to cruise 2 or 3 times a year over the time period when she was 85 to 90 years old. Maybe 10 - 12 cruises in all. She took out Travel Guard insurance every time and had a claim every single time. Visits to the ship's doctor, shampoo stolen out of her luggage by the crew, etc. (she just forgot to pack half the stuff she needed). She was never penalized on her premium. Not that it would have been legal -- I believe they could refuse to insure her altogether but they would be breaking insurance regs by charging more than the amount registered with each state's dept of insurance.