Galveston Curise on Magic and Houston airports

kathy884

I have lots of frequent flyer miles on Southwest, and we are thinking of doing a cruise out of Galveston on the Carnival Magic. Doesn't Houston have two airports? The one Southwest flies to is HOU. Is that close to where the cruise ships leave from or is a different airport better to fly into? We would be arriving the night before the cruise, so this may not even be that big a deal. I was only 15, though, the last time I was in the area, so know nothing? // Also any recommendations on a place to spend the night before the cruise -- With tax I don't want to spend more than $200 and I'd like a place with two queen beds if there's a decent option with that.

Southwest flies into Hobby Airport (HOU) which is the closest airport to Galveston and the cruise port. It is about a 45 minute drive down I-45. Are you renting a car to get to Galveston? It will be expensive to get a cab and I DON"T recommend staying in a hotel near the airport due to the area. (I lived in the south Houston area for years) You can get a hotel further south it would be better maybe near Nasa Road, Bay Area Blvd, League City. These areas are right on I-45 so it would be a easy commute.

Definitely fly in to Hobby Airport. It is the closest to the port. I would suggest staying in the Galveston area if you can find a decent room rate. Depending on the time of year you should be able to find something for around $200. Something on the seawall would be ideal for the night before. You can walk to many places to eat and watch the sunset on the beach.

We're coming in a few days earlier to Houston Hobby, renting a car from Hobby airport and staying in Texas city (Best Western Mainland) going to Space Center a couple of days then returning car to Avis on Sunday morning of the cruise (Texas City) in fact it's at the mall and hotel's just on the perimeter same parking lot. They actually will shuttle you to the port for an extra $50 bucks but I also found out that VIP shuttle service will shuttle you from your hotel or location in Texas City to the port for about $25 for the both of us.

Hotels rates in Galveston are 50% off now due to winter season. We live in

Galveston, here are the Hotels I recommend:

TREEMONT HOUSE - WYNDHAM GRAND HOTEL (is a historic hotel in the heart of the Strand by the Ships) Beautiful Hotel.

HARBOR HOUSE MARINA - on Galveston Bay by the Ships. Walking distance to the Historic Strand.

THE SAN LUIS RESORT & SPA (on the Seawall overlooking the ocean)

Prices are now $119-$189 w/o 15% tax. Normally, $200-$350. Beautiful Hotel.

HOLIDAY INN RESORT GALVESTON BEACH - $99-$139 (Normally $200-$269)

(on the Seawall overlooking the ocean)

DOUBLETREE BY HILTON GALVESTON BEACH - (on the Seawall overlooking the ocean).

Many of these Hotels provide free cruise ship parking on their property, and shuttle to the ships.

We flew in yesterday for our cruise leaving today on the Carnival Magic. We flew in to Hobby airport and had a car service (Ladybird) pick us up and take us to Harbor House. We paid $113 total using hotels.com

We are right next to the pier. Here is a picture of the ship from our hotel room this morning

image.jpg.b0ef279ac192284a9f6bc1ad7f41324b.jpg

We flew in yesterday for our cruise leaving today on the Carnival Magic. We flew in to Hobby airport and had a car service (Ladybird) pick us up and take us to Harbor House. We paid $113 total using hotels.com

We are right next to the pier. Here is a picture of the ship from our hotel room this morning

Could you walk to the port? Or are there lots of ins/outs/arounds that would make that a problem?

Yes you can walk from Tremont and Harbor house hotels .

Both operated by same.

It's no more than a long airport terminal walk.

These hotels have a transfer to terminial also.

is the shuttle free?

I do not see it listed on hotels.com, kayak, etc.

We are looking into similar decisions.

flying in on 8/21 for sailing 8/22. everything with a free shuttle is sold out. seems like a popular week to go before school starts.

Likely will look into staying nearby and arranging a shuttle I guess.

any thoughts on options? harbor house is 240/n

thanks in advance

(did not mean to bogart the thread but figured this was all related)

Yes. According to google maps it is .3 miles...about 2 blocks. It's a straight shot on a path away from traffic.

thanks, I saw it on the map too. was curious if people had walked it.

seems doable to me!