Astoria - rental car? HELP!!

We've cruised to many ports, but don't usually get a car for the day in port. This cruise we need to make connection with some family that lives close to Astoria and we're thinking - get a rental car.

Can anyone sort of head me in the direction I need to go to get a car for our day in Astoria? We're going to be port from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm (more or less).

Hi - a quick google helped me find that Enterprise and Hertz offer rental cars in Astoria. I havent been to Astoria in a few years, but in general I would call each location directly and find out if they will pick you up from the port or if they would allow you to leave the car at the port. I find that the local agents will be more helpful and accurate than calling a reservations line.

I'd suggest getting your family to come to you if at all possible - Astoria has a somewhat-justified rep as a frequently-skipped port (the tide & wind conditions can be absolutely brutal at the mouth of the Columbia, and cruise ships tend to visit in spring or fall when the weather is the least cooperative).

Or make sure that your rental car can be canceled without charge at the last-minute and that you have internet minutes available or don't mind paying for a ship-to-shore call to cancel.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd suggest getting your family to come to you if at all possible - Astoria has a somewhat-justified rep as a frequently-skipped port (the tide & wind conditions can be absolutely brutal at the mouth of the Columbia, and cruise ships tend to visit in spring or fall when the weather is the least cooperative).

Or make sure that your rental car can be canceled without charge at the last-minute and that you have internet minutes available or don't mind paying for a ship-to-shore call to cancel.

I've done 4 coastals and have missed Astoria twice. The last time was with Princess when we were scheduled to be tendered as Celebrity had the only berth. It was too rough to tender but Celebrity managed to dock. Some Celebrity passengers told us when we met up again in San Francisco.

• 1 month later...

We booked a rental car through Enterprise last year upon arrival in Astoria. Although they advertised a free shuttle to/from the ship to their rental office, they were totally overwhelmed with two ships in port that day and there was a long wait for the shuttle. Thankfully, their office was a short walking distance from the dock, rendering their shuttle service somewhat pointless. They did, however, shuttle us back to the ship on the return. No issues with them with regard to the actual rental -- everything was fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Why not consider a taxi? We hired one to take us to Fort Clatsop and didn't have the issue of worrying about not docking, which is a possibility considering the wave/weather issues there. The taxis need to be called in many cases. The shuttle is $8 for the day and takes you to the major places inside the town. It is not free.

Why not consider a taxi? We hired one to take us to Fort Clatsop and didn't have the issue of worrying about not docking, which is a possibility considering the wave/weather issues there. The taxis need to be called in many cases. The shuttle is $8 for the day and takes you to the major places inside the town. It is not free.

Markanddonna,

We're thinking of using a taxi to visit the Astoria Column and a few other local sites. Did the taxi charge by the hour or distance when you hired them to take you to Fort Clatsop? Also, do you know if the $8 shuttle for the day goes to the Astoria Column or just from the cruise ship to the downtown Astoria area?

Thanks,

Mary