Internet Package - When to buy?

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the Internet package online before our cruise at 30% off or should I wait until on board to buy with my Diamond discount? Do you skip the taxes if you are in International waters?

Thank you in advance for your advice! :D

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the Internet package online before our cruise at 30% off or should I wait until on board to buy with my Diamond discount? Do you skip the taxes if you are in International waters?

Thank you in advance for your advice! :D

There are no taxes on the internet package.

The Diamond discount is a flat $20 off the price of a package OR one free 24-hour period. You should be able to determine if the 30% off will be better based on the length of the cruise and the number of devices you will be purchasing.

The prices on board that have been reported the most are $12.99 per day for surf and $17.99 per day for stream. These are the prices should you get the package for all days on board, or all days remaining on board.

Surf and stream for 7 days would be (7x$17.99)-$20 or appx $106 for the week purchased on board with your diamond discount.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The prices on board that have been reported the most are $12.99 per day for surf and $17.99 per day for stream. These are the prices should you get the package for all days on board, or all days remaining on board.

Surf and stream for 7 days would be (7x$17.99)-$20 or appx $106 for the week purchased on board with your diamond discount.

It seems that you do save money if you buy in advance. :D

The Royal Caribbean site's quote prices are in USD when I log into my cruise reservation. When I buy it will probably be in CDN...we shall see! :D

For the Freedom TA, it's $168. It won't get any cheaper and probably more expensive if you purchased on board.

• 5 weeks later...

Follow up: I bought the Internet at a discount before the trip for $154 for the week for 2 devices. They handed me my wifi password at check in. The Internet was high speed and it was fantastic! Loved it! My spouse and I could communicate on Allure without issue. Having Internet for the cruise was great. A week later I was on Holland America's Koningsdam. The Internet was $250 for 1000 minutes. No way am I spending that. People on board indicated it was dial up speeds as well. Royal Caribbean's Internet is a great value, especially when you buy in advance. :D

Follow up: I bought the Internet at a discount before the trip for $154 for the week for 2 devices. They handed me my wifi password at check in. The Internet was high speed and it was fantastic! Loved it! My spouse and I could communicate on Allure without issue. Having Internet for the cruise was great. A week later I was on Holland America's Koningsdam. The Internet was $250 for 1000 minutes. No way am I spending that. People on board indicated it was dial up speeds as well. Royal Caribbean's Internet is a great value, especially when you buy in advance. :D

For others who might be reading this, Royal currently uses two different internet services. The O3b service is the fastest and is what is on Quantum and Oasis classes plus Freedom and Majesty (Empress?). All the other ships have a slower service, which sometimes does feel like dialup speed.

For others who might be reading this, Royal currently uses two different internet services. The O3b service is the fastest and is what is on Quantum and Oasis classes plus Freedom and Majesty (Empress?). All the other ships have a slower service, which sometimes does feel like dialup speed.

I'm confused. :confused: Do they call all Internet VOOM now? See the snapshot from the RCI Website. It says all Ships have VOOM access but it's only not high speed during transits. Thanks!

voom.jpg.7fdbfa5026acbf601f263defb44b14dc.jpg

I'm confused. :confused: Do they call all Internet VOOM now? See the snapshot from the RCI Website. It says all Ships have VOOM access but it's only not high speed during transits. Thanks!

Correct, all internet on RC ships is now called VOOM, no matter which service provider they use.

Why is high speed not available during transits? Before this "new" internet, you could not stream video with it (or maybe you could, and i haven't tried in a while), but I've heard you can on ships other than Quantum class and Harmony. Its advertised that you could, so if you can't, I'm going to have issues.

I will be on the Grandeur next week and have the surf and stream package. I will see if it works or not. It worked decently on the Anthem, but that's a newer system obviously.

Why is high speed not available during transits? Before this "new" internet, you could not stream video with it (or maybe you could, and i haven't tried in a while), but I've heard you can on ships other than Quantum class and Harmony. Its advertised that you could, so if you can't, I'm going to have issues.

I will be on the Grandeur next week and have the surf and stream package. I will see if it works or not. It worked decently on the Anthem, but that's a newer system obviously.

Sorry my post should have read: Transatlantic or Repositioning Cruises, not transits. My bad if this caused any confusion. :confused:

Sorry my post should have read: Transatlantic or Repositioning Cruises, not transits. My bad if this caused any confusion. :confused:

Don't believe everything you read on RCI's website - there might sporadic outages but VOOM (at high speed) works just fine in the middle of the Atlantic/Pacific.