Splendor diverts to Bermuda to avoid Hurricane Arthur

islegroove

This change in ports may cause a problem with what everyone packed. Not sure you would really be ready for the weather in Bermuda if you packed, thinking you were headed to Halifax, NS. Could be a lot of passengers looking for shorts and tee shirts.

I think that's a plus (but I live here) although people who paid for a cruise elsewhere, may not agree..

Are you nuts ? ;)

You would have to pay me to sail to Halifax !

But that's just me :D

This change in ports may cause a problem with what everyone packed. Not sure you would really be ready for the weather in Bermuda if you packed, thinking you were headed to Halifax, NS. Could be a lot of passengers looking for shorts and tee shirts.

Halifax is not North Pole :eek:, the forecast was for mid 70's in Halifax, so I guess a few of them are carrying shorts :p

All kidding aside, I guess all the passengers agree that Bermuda is way better then a sea day.

Hope they have a safe sailing !

I am relatively sure that the Splendor had been scheduled to sail to St. John, New Brunswick. An interesting city, like Halifax, for visitors, in my opinion.

Having to deviate because of the weather to beautiful Bermuda would certainly not be a bad decision on the part of Carnival.

I booked a cruise to Bermuda in Oct and my fear is there will be a storm which will make me go to Portland Maine - an hour from my house instead of heading south

Ellen

For the smaller ship like the Gem or the Dawn, the Star or wtv, the options are : 1 day less in Bermuda or doing the Florida/Bahamas route or in last resort...Canada.

I don't know if Canada i an option for the BA ?

Being from Canada, I would jump ship and swim to Bermuda before the ship brought me back to Canada ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We knew we wouldn't go to St John and were placing bets in the terminal (j/k) whether we would have a 4 day CTN or 1 day in Bermuda.....you should have heard the roar of the cheers when they announced we were going to Bermuda. The terminal is lucky to still have a roof. :D From what I heard 2 families declined to sail to Bermuda and I talked to one woman who complained they couldn't wear their St John. NB clothes in Bermuda. She packed all long sleeves and long pants for Canada and had to hand wash her NYC clothes to wear in Bermuda (she was in the city to visit her brother before the cruise)......we weren't scheduled for the Antarctic, LOL! I will admit after Arthur formed I did throw in a light jacket, hoodie, sneakers, socks and jeans (1 each) for St John but all the rest was shorts, tops and swimsuits. She did become excited after I started explaining all the things there was to see and do in Bermuda though.

It was a wonderful surprise. Who goes on a cruise and doesn't pack shorts and a bathing suit no matter where you are scheduled for? They have retractable roofs on the ships so you can swim and enjoy even when lousy weather. Have sailed from NYC in the dead of winter and gone to Canada on cruises many times. I would never go without some type of clothes for nice weather. I think almost everyone was happy to go to Bermuda. I would have been happy with a 4 day CTN too. Just love to cruise. had no intention of getting off in St John anyway!