Sussex England-What would you do?

TMLAalum

Finally got a match to a timeshare search for England the week prior to our TA out of Southampton. It's the Lidsey Farmhouse Annex near Bogner Regis. We've not been to that area of England as previous trips have been to London, Torquay area, Yorkshire & the Lakes District.

We'd rent a car and just by glancing at a map, seems we could visit Portsmouth easily and a bit further afield travel to Stonehenge & Highclere Castle.

Should I take this trade with the idea that there is lots to occupy us for a week or hold on HOPING for something in the Cotswolds or Cornwall?

Thanks!

A very pleasant part of the country and yes, plenty to see and do. :)

You will need a car for most things, but it's not difficult to take a bus to Bognor Regis (spelling) or Barnham for trains to a number of places -

Portsmouth for instance is easy to visit without a car, the sights are clustered around the Historic Dockyard and ships / Gunwharf Quays / Spinnaker Tower / Old Portsmouth and that area is about a 5 minute taxi ride or a 25-minute (mainly waterfront) walk from Southsea seafront (D-Day museum, small castle, seafront promenade with minor sights and views across to the Isle of Wight).

The dockyard & ships are well worth a very full day, but the tickets give unlimited entry for a year, so you could combine visits with other Portsmouth & Southsea sights over two or three days - or even four or five if you include the submarine museum and Explosions exhibition on the other side of Portsmouth harbour.

Bognor Regis is a typical English seaside resort, developed in Victorian times with the arrival of the train service. Pleasant enough for a lazy day but quite limited.

Chichester is a cathedral city, not quite matching Salisbury or Winchester but well worth a visit.

Other places within a few miles, though best visited by car include

Goodwood House and Tangmere Battle of Britain airfield / museum.

Arundel, with its castle, cathedral & antique shops.

The collection of historic buildings at Singleton open air museum (not great for a rainy day)

A little further away, country houses such as Petworth House, up in the South Downs.

Or the 20th century museum Chalk Pits Museum at Amberley

Or the bohemian seaside resort of Brighton (consider taking the train)

For Roman sights, Bignor and Fishbourne. For Norman, Portchester Castle.

Yes, Stonehenge and Highclere castle could be squeezed into a day-trip, or better to combine Stonehenge with Salisbury, and perhaps Highclere castle with Avebury.Ring or Winchester.

Hever Castle and Royal Tunbridge Wells could also be combined into a day-trip.

Plenty of interest, though there's plenty of interest in the Cotswolds or Cornwall.

Cornwall is quite remote, Bognor Regis is very much more convenient to Southampton.

If you book, come back with some details - dates, folk in your party, particular interests and such and we can add / expand suggestions.

JB :)

I'm not at all familiar with the timeshare-trade model, so, strictly as a practical matter, I can't comment intelligibly on whether you should take the offer you have near Bognor Regis or "hold out" for something in the Cotswolds or Cornwall.

I do have to confess that I am personally biased toward Cornwall--I lived there for an extended period some years ago, and on subsequent visits have rented a cottage for stays of a week or two. However, strictly as a matter of logistics, the Bognor Regis area puts you much closer to Southampton; the drive to/from Cornwall will probably take more time than you are anticipating.

And, in addition to the places you mention that you might like to visit if you base yourself in Sussex, I would definitely add Arundel and perhaps Chichester. And certainly the South Downs in general, an area often overlooked by American tourists in favor of the Cotswolds.

For starters, have a look at http://www.visitsussex.org/

(Ah, I see that while I was writing this, JB got in there ahead of me! I can only endorse his excellent suggestions.)

:DThank you, John Bull & Post Captain!

I located a DK Eyewitness England guidebook among my travel collection and with both of your input, plus the book's chapter on the Downs and Channel Coast, looks like we can have a wonderful week.

Plus we can pick up a rental car at Gatwick where we'll fly to from FCO and return it to SOU without incurring a prohibitive drop fee, so that is a great convenience.

BTW Mr. Bull, wanted to let you know we were able to reserve a table for 15 at the Dancing Man the night before the Eclipse TA.

As per Bob's post, Bognor Regis is pretty convenient from LGW, little more than an hour away.

If you're up to it after your flight. you could take the opportunity to visit Hever castle from Gatwick - it's about 30 minutes away though in the wrong direction.

Amberley chalk pits museum is probably on your route (there are a number of route choices LGW to Bognor), and you may also want to take a small diversion to go thro Arundel for a quick recce. But since both are under half-an-hour from your accommodation there's no need for a full-blown visit en-route from Gatwick.

Glad you fixed up Dancing Man (try their "beef rag-and-bone" :))

Atmospheric place, near the waterfront and only a short walk from Eclipse's berth at City cruise terminal.

It's only been open a couple of years so some folk won't know the name - they still call it the Wool House, its original purpose a few centuries ago.

You'll probably be seated upstairs on the mezzanine, worth mentioning to anyone with serious mobility issues that there's a wheelchair-accessible elevator but it's tucked-away at the back of the bar.

Thanks again, sirs!

Hever Castle intrigues me as it is the home of Ann Boleyn. On our last visit to London we visited Hampton Court and I note in my Eyewitness guide that a castle for Anne of Cleves is near to Bognor Regis, though she never lived there.

DH & I enjoy scenic walks and photography as well as history.

Quick "?" to summarize a post I made on the Cruise Air forum: Is a 10:50am Easyjet flight from FCO-LGW doable if we arranged a 7:30am transfer out of Civi or should we book a later flight and not rush? We are arriving on a Friday FWIW.

Thanks!

The Anne of Cleves family house (its not a castle or a palace) is in Lewes, in East Sussex beyond Brighton.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Gatwick+Airport,+Horley/Anne+of+Cleves+House,+52+Southover+High+St,+Lewes+BN7+1JA/Bognor+Regis/@50.8688948,0.0040209,3a,60y,15.79h,90t/am=t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sdz8d_YMcnL17AYbtOTqWjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i39!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4875efde7d1f391b:0x59dda4bf018973ff!2m2!1d-0.1820629!2d51.1536621!1m5!1m1!1s0x47df629edf706f0b:0x5a36c9438624024d!2m2!1d0.004056!2d50.868988!1m5!1m1!1s0x487453344b040d5f:0xa652db17eae031f4!2m2!1d-0.673061!2d50.782998!3e0

Could be visited from Gatwick by driving two sides of a triangle (south then west) to Bognor, rather than one of the cross-country routes, but that route is on boring, busy, & sometimes congested highway.

Alternatively it's about an hour from Bognor. Could be tied in with Brighton - or with the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head, the chalk cliffs between Seaford and Eastbourne since scenic walks are your thing.

Also good for scenic walks are

- the seafront between Southsea castle and the Still and West pub at the Portsmouth harbour entrance, 1.5 miles.

- the River Arun, upstream from Arundel to the Black Rabbit pub, just over 1.5 mls e/w.

- Along the top of Portsdown Hill from Fort Nelson to the Churchillian pub, 3.5 miles e/w (or as much of it as you want). Fort Nelson itself is worth mebbe an hour's visit. Your walk will also take you past Fort Southwick. And from Southsea seafront you'll see some of the forts in the Solent. These are part of a ring of Napoleonic forts, now known as Palmerston's follies, built to defend Portsmouth from our troublesome Gallic neighbours https://www.hgs-familyhistory.com/2013/01/palmerstons-folly/

Easyjet use Rome's Fiumicino (FCO) airport - much quicker and easier from the port than Ciampino airport, and theoretically under an hour's drive.

So you should have no trouble making that flight - but it's mebbe worth asking on the Italy board for more opinions.

The flight is an hour longer than it might appear from departure and arrival times, the UK is an hour behind mainland Europe.

We live in central London but my partners daughter lives in Hampshire and we love visiting that area. There are some very good pubs with restaurants in the area too, especially for Sunday lunch.

Chichester has some nice individual shops, rather than all being chains. There is a large Outlet shopping centre at Gunpowder Quay near the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth.

One of the forts in the Solent has been converted into a five star hotel. Non residents can go for lunch.

John Bull covered most things to see in the area except Bucklers Hard, a preserved village with Lord Nelson museum.

A drive in the New Forest is always pleasant and you will see New Forest ponies at the roadside.

Thanks again, sirs!

DH & I enjoy scenic walks and photography as well as history.

There are a couple of RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) reserves near Bognor Regis that are well worth a visit

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/find-a-reserve/reserves-a-z/reserves-by-name/p/paghamharbour/index.aspx

and

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/find-a-reserve/reserves-a-z/reserves-by-name/m/medmerry/about.aspx

With apologies to Londown Towner a Quick one to help with SATNAV if you use it, the shopping centre in Portsmouth near the Historic Dockyard is Gunwharf Quays not Gunpowder Quays.

https://gunwharf-quays.com/

Pete

Mapped Out!

AA's Road Map #3 South East England has arrived. DH is the only driver as the few times I attempted taking the wheel and driving on the left, it was not pretty! We are starting to think that a day trip to Canterbury might be too long behind the wheel for him- 2 hours? We are still hoping to head to Stonehenge especially if we can be two of the few that get early morning admission to the interior.

We did book the 10:50 easyjet flight and have reserved a Hertz car at Gatwick, returning it to West Quay Southampton.

Depending on what day the Cleveland Browns play at Twickenham (either the 21st or 28th), we might venture into London to support our hapless team- the NFL schedule hasn't been released as of yet.

Thanks again all!

Barb

I strongly advise using public transport for Twickenham as the roads get very congested on match days. You can get a train from Chichester via Clapham Common, but the service varies with more trains on match days so you would need to check that.

Bognor to Canterbury is more like 2.5 hours, especially since in one direction at least you'll be mixing it with the rush hour at some point.

It starts getting dark in October around 6.30pm (5.30pm from 29th October, when clocks go forward an hour) - important if you're not keen on long drives in the dark a foreign country

Can be done, especially if it's on your bucket-list, but there's plenty else closer to home.

Stonehenge before or after general admission is very much for the aficionados.

Unless things have changed, there are no audio-guides at that time & the refreshments & visitor centre are closed - those who book usually do so in groups, with their own guide.

But I'm not the one to enthuse anyone about the lumps of stone that are called Stonehenge :rolleyes: . I grew up about 3 miles away, have lived the past 30 years less than 20 miles away - and didn't get round to a proper "visit" until last year. Still don't understand what all the fuss is about.:o

Bob is right about the traffic to Twickenham ("Twickers") on match days - it isn't in the centre of London, it's out near Heathrow on a main route into London from the south-west and the stadium has a capacity of 82,000.

But it's the national Rugby Union venue, and I have no idea of how popular American football is in the UK - possibly it won't attract a huge crowd, or the associated traffic. Nonetheless, if you choose to drive, best to pre-book parking at the stadium or at one of the nearby rugby club grounds or other temporary parking lots.

Ah, but you haven't lived until you've tasted English sherry!;p

Re. an earlier posting mentioning Hever Castle: I certainly recommend a visit. It's not nearly as grand as Hampton Court, of course, but IMO it's even more atmospheric, and it's set in lovely countryside. If you go, be sure to pop into the King Henry VIII pub, just outside the entrance to the grounds:

http://www.kinghenryviiihever.co.uk/

Thanks again, sirs!

In perusing my map found Bolney Wine Estate just south of Gatwick- have never tried English wine:cool:, but look forward to a tasting.

Barb

Ah, but you haven't lived until you've tasted English sherry!;p

We're too far north for black grapes (other than as a hobby), and even for serious white wine-making.

So English wine is white and the quality is extremely variable. We get a few good years but generally English wine tastes rather green, sharp, and appley. Our method-champenoise sparkling wines seem to be our best.

Here are two ways that a wealthy Englishman can invest.........

One is to dig holes in the ground & plant vines.

The other is to dig holes in the ground and plant fifty-pound bills.

The profit is about the same from both. :p

Economics lesson over.

------------------

But English sherry????

The name Sherry is derived from the town of its birth, Jerez de la Frontera In Andalucía, Spain.

Very popular in the UK, as is Port.

And in Jerez and Oporto there are many bodegas set up centuries ago by Brits.

British Sherry is mainly made by Harveys of Bristol, using imported ingredients.

Bought only at Christmas.

Drunk only by Aunt Agatha

History & geography lessons over.

School's out :D.

Bob is right about the traffic to Twickenham ("Twickers") on match days - it isn't in the centre of London, it's out near Heathrow on a main route into London from the south-west and the stadium has a capacity of 82,000.

But it's the national Rugby Union venue, and I have no idea of how popular American football is in the UK - possibly it won't attract a huge crowd, or the associated traffic. Nonetheless, if you choose to drive, best to pre-book parking at the stadium or at one of the nearby rugby club grounds or other temporary parking lots.

The London NFL games are hugely popular with fans all over Europe and will almost certainly be near sell-outs both at Wembley and Twickenham again. I'll be there :) (My 'Eagle' handle refers to the Philadelphia Eagles!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But English sherry???? . . . British Sherry is mainly made by Harveys of Bristol, using imported ingredients.

Evidently you've never quaffed this fine product of the United Kingdom, which garners a four-star review from one connosewer! ;p ~

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VP-Cream-English-Sherry-14-5/dp/B007UOLDSM

Nor this, which though it doesn't call itself sherry--nor does anyone else--is much the same thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QC-Cream-Fortified-Wine-70cl/dp/B00AW8XZVG/

Billed as "the ideal drink for relaxing at home." (If your name is Hyacinth Bucket.)

Drunk only by Aunt Agatha.

Would that be Bertie Wooster's Aunt Agatha, "the nephew-crusher"? :eek:

Evidently you've never quaffed this fine product of the United Kingdom, which garners a four-star review from one connosewer! ;p ~

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VP-Cream-English-Sherry-14-5/dp/B007UOLDSM

Nor this, which though it doesn't call itself sherry--nor does anyone else--is much the same thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QC-Cream-Fortified-Wine-70cl/dp/B00AW8XZVG/

Billed as "the ideal drink for relaxing at home." (If your name is Hyacinth Bucket.)

Would that be Bertie Wooster's Aunt Agatha, "the nephew-crusher"? :eek:

They're fortified British wines, Captain.:p

In the decades before the great British unwashed started travelling abroad, when pizza and chilled lager beers were exotic and only the toffs drank foreign wines, we had "British wine". Grape must (squashed grapes, pips, skins, and a few leaves & twigs) was imported from Cyprus, and grape juice was imported from the European wine lake, and the "wine" was made in factories in the UK & sold as "British wine".

Dreadful stuff. I know, I grew up on it. :loudcry:

British sherry (note the word isn't included in the label cos that'd be illegal, same as "English champagne") is much the same but fortified by the addition of some brandy.

A far cry from English wines, which must be from English vines.

BTW, no, not Bertie Wooster's Aunt Agatha.

She's far too young and modern to be drinking sherry :D

I would agree with what JB, Bob and Cotsworld Eagle have said so far, public transport is the way to go for Twickenham.

If you do drive though book parking at Cardinal Vaughan school if you can, it is only 100m from the Stadium much closer than the other RFU parking which is at Rosebine Avenue which is quite a walk. These are the two locations normally used by the rugby Football Union owners of the stadium itself. Another location would be the carparks at the Twickenham Stoop stadium home of Harlequins Rugby club, :( which is a little closer than Rosebine.

When I was last at Twickenham for the London Double header last September they had increased the size of the cordoned off area for pedestrians, I suspect due to the Lorry style terror attacks, meaning there was less parking than normal at the actual stadium itself.

Whining-

You gentlemen put a smile on my face reading your posts regarding British wine. We have 2 wineries in our Cleveland suburb, both of which produce some stinky stuff. The vineyards further east along Lake Erie do offer some very good wines.

If the Browns do play the 21 or 22, and we procure seats, we definitely will take public transportation. The Minnesota Vikings are the scheduled opponents.

Barb