Maureen Ryan mention in Press Release

Ken_W

From a press release on the Cunard.co.uk site... (Emphasis added.)

...focusing on Cunard’s 20th century history, Cunardia also gives a nod to the present with exhibit references to Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria, including the cork from the bottle of prosecco that was broken over Queen Victoria’s bow by Maureen Ryan as the ship met open water for the first time. With its typical flair for tradition and ceremony, Cunard chose Ryan, the only known person to have served on four Queens, to serve as the ship’s ‘Madrina’ during Queen Victoria’s float-out celebration.

There's just something so very right about that. Queen Mary. Queen Elizabeth. Queen Elizabeth 2. Queen Mary 2. I do hope that someday she publishes her memoirs!

including the cork from the bottle of prosecco that was broken over Queen Victoria’s bow

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that Cunard have to resort to a cork whilst they're selling all the good stuff to Dubai?

we hope she will be sailing with us on the Maiden Voyage!

I said exactly that to her in September. And her reply was that she hadn't been invited.

Utterly gobsmacked, I went immediately to ******* to tell him as I felt sure this must have been an oversight on someones part. His response was "Sometimes I despair of this company." I suggested that he have a word with Head Office as he might have more influence than a passenger. He, however, rekoned that as he "was only a *******" it would be better coming from me and I was dispatched to speak to Carol Marlow who was on board.

The explanation was that the ship was so tightly packed that there would be NO invited guests and even she couldn't get a cabin!

Colin.

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that Cunard have to resort to a cork whilst they're selling all the good stuff to Dubai?

Malcolm

I can assure you your not the only one who finds this amusing, imagine having a cork as pride of place, l know exactly where l would stick the cork!

Mr Radmore, who l have met a few times would turn in his grave if he knew his prized collection was ending up there.

Mindyou maybe those Dubai folks will dip the cork in gold for added attraction :rolleyes:

Archived