Tipping airport wheelchair assistance

I'll be using a wheelchair at the Vancouver airport for my upcoming cruise. Can't walk long distances. Won't be needing one on the cruise. I know tipping is "personal choice", but, could some of you give me an idea of what you generally tip the person who pushes the wheelchair from the plane, through customs/immigration, through baggage claim, to a taxi. I'll also need to have a porter to deal with the luggage up to the taxi, so tips on tipping that person would be helpful too.

Thanks.

I was in a similar situation except I had a scooter but needed help with luggage while my husband reclaimed the van. I tipped the usual per bag tip plus a couple of dollars because the young lady waited with me for awhile. If the person is just pushing you through to the taxi I would suggest $5.00 or more, depending on the length of the lines.

I start with $5..but if the porter has been particularly helpful -- gotten me to the head of security, helped with my luggage getting through the checkpoints, made sure I was safely to my gate, or to a cab, or whatever.. then it would be more, in the range of $10.

I'll be using a wheelchair at the Vancouver airport for my upcoming cruise. Can't walk long distances. Won't be needing one on the cruise. I know tipping is "personal choice", but, could some of you give me an idea of what you generally tip the person who pushes the wheelchair from the plane, through customs/immigration, through baggage claim, to a taxi. I'll also need to have a porter to deal with the luggage up to the taxi, so tips on tipping that person would be helpful too.

Thanks.

I begin the moment I sit in the chair by giving $5.00 . Have found if you tip up front they're willing to go the extra mile for you. Than depending if I ask them to stop to get a snack/drink or use the rest room, I give a few extra dollars when I arrive at the gate. I've often been told by the pushers that most people don't tip. So when they get it up front they really appreciate it and work hard to help you.

Though you don't need the wheelchair on board ship, you might want to take advantage of wheelchair assistance at the port the day you arrive. Embarkation day can be a long walk.

Thanks all for your help. I was thinking around $5, then more if the lines are long, etc. I'll have two suitcases, plus a carryon, plus a big purse, so will probably need a porter along with the wheelchair assistance. And thanks, xxoocruiser, for the tip about embarkation.

• 1 year later...

Keep in mind that at Canadian airports, depending on any number of circumstances there's a good chance that the person doing the wheelchair assistance will be an airline employee, not an airport employee. We've had several instances where it's been either Air Canada or Westjet employees doing the assisting, and I can't imagine either of them actually taking the tip. Wouldn't hurt to offer, but I'd be surprised if they took it.

I've need wheelchair assistance for years at airports and when boarding/debarking ship due to illness that affects my balance. I have had airline and airport workers push the chair and I always tip at least $5 up to $10 depending on distance. They all have been grateful and nobody has ever refused the money. I also can't recall any of them being anything but helpful and friendly.

We don't tip the airline people from the gate who push wheelchair up (or down) the jetway. I would be happy to push my wife myself but safety rules require that they do it.

Had a similar question about assistance at European airports that are mandated to have assistance available pushing wheelchair through the whole airport process. Not airline employees. Later found that tipping them is actually a bit of an insult due to their doing that job as public service instead of military service.

The porters we do tip. One of the best "tips" we have gotten was for Las Vegas where getting a porter not only helps with the luggage claim but they go to a special area of the taxi line and can get a wheelchair or other suitable taxi/van without waiting forever. Well worth an extra bit of tipping just for that when it's 106° in the shade. Of course not many cruises go to LV. ;) Maybe there's a shore excursion.

Thanks.

In Vancouver most of the wheelchair assists are preformed by airline employees who can not accept a tip. If it is a contractor then a tip in the region of $5+ is inorder...luggage porter $2 per bag rounded up to the nearest $5.

• 2 weeks later...
We don't tip the airline people from the gate who push wheelchair up (or down) the jetway. I would be happy to push my wife myself but safety rules require that they do it.

When did that start? in 20yrs I've never been pushed up or down a jetway by anyone except friends, family or do it myself.

Well for goodness sakes! I had no idea I was supposed to tip them. I feel like a slouch! All the folks who helped me were Southwest airlines employees. Please tell me I didn't royally screw up! Of course two out of the four of them were not pleasant and one was downright rude.

Airport tipping was the quickest way for us to justify buying our first wheelchair, back when DH was just starting to have mobility issues. We generally tipped $10 for curb to gate (or gate to curb), so at $40 for a nonstop round trip, and more if connecting flights were involved, it only took a couple trips to pay back the cost of our first chair, purchased used off Craigslist.

Add in the convenience of having a chair from the parking lot, through potty changes, being able to relax and get a cup of coffee in the concession area if there's a delay, or between connections, and the relaxation value was increased immensely.

We also found that about 20% of the time (more in DIA, where we lived at the time), there was no pusher available, and I had to run around the airport looking for either a pusher or an empty chair.

We've had great pushers, as a rule. But I'm the best pusher my husband has ;)

Well for goodness sakes! I had no idea I was supposed to tip them. I feel like a slouch! All the folks who helped me were Southwest airlines employees. Please tell me I didn't royally screw up! Of course two out of the four of them were not pleasant and one was downright rude.

I dont generally tip airline personnel, but DO tip the porters and other airport workers that do the pushing. The actual airline personnel make plenty of money, and don't usually do the people moving anyway!

How about the staff that simply walk with you to things such as elevators and baggage area to show how to get there but don't push you or help with any bags.

Do you tip them as well???

How about the staff that simply walk with you to things such as elevators and baggage area to show how to get there but don't push you or help with any bags.

Do you tip them as well???

I wouldn't. But generally if they're walking with me , I make them push! :D

• 1 month later...

Oh, you can tip everybody you meet all day long! Does anybody tip you??? Most of these people get their money for assist people. It is their job! Do you tip also a baker if you buy bread?

Oh, you can tip everybody you meet all day long! Does anybody tip you??? Most of these people get their money for assist people. It is their job! Do you tip also a baker if you buy bread?

Wow...a bit testy are we

I honestly believe that tipping has got out of line. It is becoming more of an obligation than a response to exceptional service. Do you tip the aide or volunteer at the hospital that wheels you around? I would guess that the aide's wages are considerably less than any airport worker and that he/she is providing much more “personal” care than the airport employee. And the volunteer does not get paid anything.

So the individual assisting (?) us through the maize at airport deserves something... we may be physically disabled however most of our minds are still functioning and we can read the signs the same as the AB. Does the AB tip if someone shows them directions?

I have and will continue to tip based on what I feel the individual has done for me, not based on what their job is. There will always be exceptions to everything. When it comes down to the nitty-gritty, tipping is a personal matter. Even if you feel obligated to tip someone, do what you are comfortable with, not what someone else expects.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

Archived