NCL Cruisers: Anyone ever used a Paypal Mastercard?

funat55

I have a lot of clients who pay me through paypal instead of sending a check. I have a paypal mastercard that is tied to my paypal account. I have a tendency sometimes to just let the money sit in the paypal account. Now I would like to use it for my upcoming cruise. Has anyone ever used a paypal mastercard? I should add that the mastercard itself has a small line of credit, but the paypal account has money on it that I could use if I went over my limit.

My wife had one of these cards. We cancelled it after they blocked the card several times in a row for "suspicious charges" that were regular charges. Even after she'd talked to them. It just wasn't worth the hassle for us to keep it.

I did notice in the terms for the credit card that it does mention being able to use your points for cruises, so don't see why you couldn't use it for what you're intending.

It would depend on how the card handles a hold. When you give a credit card at check-in, Norwegian puts a hold on your card and that reduces your credit line. So, if you have a small credit line, and that's all that gets counted, that can be a problem. (This is why you should never use a debit card - the money in your checking account is blocked from other use.) On our last trip, there were a number of holds on my account, plus the final charge when we disembarked, so more than the final amount was held up until the holds finally rolled off a couple of days later.

You could use a credit card at check-in, and then just pay for your final bill with your PayPal card - you would just have to go to guest services to do so.

If you're only going to use the card for the trip, then as long as you have somewhat more than you are going to spend available, it might work. If you go over the credit limit in holds and PayPal doesn't roll over to the actual funds, you're going to get a call from guest services. This happened to me once when I gave the wrong credit card at check-in - it had a very low credit limit and we went over it during the cruise. I gave them a different card, and all was well.

My mother makes all her money selling on eBay and being a mystery shopper. At any given time she will have a few thousand in her PayPal account. She has used it to not only book with NCL, Princess and Royal, but also uses it for her on board account as well with no issues what so ever. Her's is also the actual CC with it's own pretty high limit.

On the other hand, I have a PayPal Business Debit Mastercard. I also have a smaller line of credit. I used it with no problems on Carnival at all. On a note though, I decided I wanted to maximize my money and started using it for every purchase since it is also tied to your bank account and will just take money out if there isn't a PayPal Balance. That 1% was more than my bank gave me since theirs is just 10 cents flat.

After a month of doing this, my card started getting declined for anything over $10. They said it was because of suspicious activity and I could get it working like before if I transferred about $100 a month from my bank account to PayPal and keep a balance in there for 6+ months. Needless to say, I stopped using it except for online purchases that I just use the PayPal line of credit for and just keep paying off. It sounds like you have the same type of card/credit line I have. What would be my concern is that it doesn't automatically switch from the Line of Credit to the Balance. You have to use the Balance First and then the Line of Credit. I bought my DH's new computer with a deal from PayPal with their credit line (not their monthly payment options) and then attempted to buy something else with it and wasn't able to "switch" it because of pending charges.

Since the money is actually IN the PayPal account I think it would be fine based off my mothers experience. But PayPal can really make their own rules and do whatever they want which can be a bad thing.

I sell on ebay and usually have thousands in my Paypal account and use my Paypal debit card to pay for everything. I use it on all my cruises and have never had a problem and also earn 1 1/2% back on all purchases.

This is the easiest and best way to get your money out of your Paypal account because if you transfer your money out to a bank account you have to pay a service fee instead of getting a rebate when you use your card.