Allure of the Seas Review-Star Class January 15, 2017

jandj1224

We got back yesterday from our vacation. It was a really great experience overall. We stayed in cabin 9330 a 2br aqua theater suite. Our Royal Genie Susan was really wonderful. We were traveling as 6 in the suite with 6 additional family members in other cabins. Overall I found the Genie to be so accommodating to our entire group. Below are my thoughts on some specifics:

Star Class: This was an awesome way to travel. Some of the perks we enjoyed included the expedited boarding, unlimited beverage package including starbucks, unlimited specialty dining, beverages stocked in our cabin (which for us included water, sodas, various beers and wines), breakfast delivered a few days, reserved seating for each of the shows, a meet the cast after Mamma Mia, a private galley tour, a bridge tour, unlimited ice creams at Ben and Jerrys, movies on demand in cabin and expedited disembarkation. Our genie Susan was very friendly and super accommodating to any requests that we made. My kids actually teared up when it was time to say goodbye to her. The ongoing joke now is where is Susan?!

Something that I hadn't previously seen discussed: On our last day we wanted to get off as a late as possible. We had to be out of our rooms by 9am. From there they opened Vintages to us. They had a buffet spread which was a nice touch and a great way to end the week. We ended up getting off around 10.

Room: In the past we have traveled on NCL in a Haven 2br suite. I know the Allure is older than the ship we had previously sailed on and you can see it in the décor of the room. The amount of space in the aqua theater was amazing. We really enjoyed the balcony which had sun most of the time where we could lay out. We watched the aqua theater show from the balcony the first night which was really fun. Traveling as a group of 12 there was plenty of times we would all be hanging out in the living room and on balcony with no issues. I did feel the bathroom lacked the wow factor that we encountered in the NCL 2br suite. Also as noted in the past the shower is elevated and could present an issue for those who have trouble climbing into it and tall people.

I wasn't thrilled with our room steward on this cruise. When we first arrived at the room we opened one of the drawers in the living room to find it was filled with things left behind from the group before us. Does not give you a great feeling regarding the cleanliness of the room. Throughout the week a few additional items were found from previous guests which made me :confused: We were a large group and often had food in our room so I could appreciate the effort put forward to remove all the plates/cups from our room on a regular basis. Otherwise did not feel the wow factor from the room steward.

Entertainment: Throughout the week we enjoyed most of the entertainment offered onboard. The consensus of our group was that while the performers were all very talented some of the storylines and ways the shows came together were a little odd. Our headliner was a guy who did impersonations and I personally did not like that show at all. We found Mamma Mia was very well done. Blue planet a little weird. Ice shows were good.

We wanted to try to take advantage of all things on the ship. We zip lined, rock climbed and did ice skating. Enjoyed each of these activities.

Specialty Dining: During the week we dined at the Brazilian Steakhouse, Izumi (for hibachi and sushi), Chops, Giovanni's, Johnny Rockets, Sabor and 150 Central Park. Being from New York we really weren't overly impressed with any of the restaurants. My favorite meal was at Chops and we ate there 2x. I was actually really disappointed in the hibachi meal, the chef was great but the meal not so much. The dining experience was fine in each place just didn't love the food. It was nice having Johnny Rockets included and traveling with 7 kids we had food and milkshakes there often. Also wanted to add that we weren't impressed with Coastal Kitchen. We had one dinner there and one breakfast. It's a beautiful environment with good service but didn't find the meals to be great.

Ports: In the Bahamas we took the bus to the Melia and did the day passes. I knew we were looking for #10 bus but we ended up on a 10A bus which was the local and took the long way to the resort. Lesson learned. The day pass was fine, the facilities were nothing great, pools and water were cold in January. My girls got their hair braided, going rate was $3 per braid we did half head for $30. My husband rented jet ski for 30 min for $70.

In St. Thomas we took a taxi to Magens Bay. Traveling with kids if you put them on your lap you pay $10 for seat. That was a small savings which was appreciated. Admission to the beach was $5 pp for anyone over 12.

In St. Maarten I had booked a day trip with Capt. Bob Cass. Unfortunately in all my planning I failed to re-read the directions which indicated that they followed local time vs. ship time. We were 1hr late for our tour! It ended up working out as they were able to put us with a different group. I had been thinking it would be more of a snorkel trip but it was more a day out on a boat with 2 beach stops. A really lovely day overall and I would highly recommend.

Overall we had a great vacation and the star class really made the difference for an exceptional stress free trip!

If anyone has any questions let me know. I did try to save all of the dailies and will try figure out how best to share if anyone is interested.

Edited by jandj1224

We were just across the ship from you, had 4 in the cabin, and 4 more on the ship. I echo your enthusiasm and sentiment. Star class made the ship. We like you, found the specialty restaurants a bit tired, but preferred 150 to all the remainder.

There were a couple of quirks, we were charged $25 each for the wine pairing at Chef's Table. Odd to get hit for $25 each when all other booze was free. And the selections were not special at all, the pours were about 4 ounces.

Two bartenders threatened to charge me for my wife's drink if I did not produce her card, I just laughed pointed to her and they capitulated. No one else cared at all. Odd.

If you go to Starbucks you have to hold your card up and the coffee is free, it's the only "self swipe" on the ship, I got billed by swiping, free for flashing.

Otherwise simply amazing.

We were just across the ship from you, had 4 in the cabin, and 4 more on the ship. I echo your enthusiasm and sentiment. Star class made the ship. We like you, found the specialty restaurants a bit tired, but preferred 150 to all the remainder.

There were a couple of quirks, we were charged $25 each for the wine pairing at Chef's Table. Odd to get hit for $25 each when all other booze was free. And the selections were not special at all, the pours were about 4 ounces.

Two bartenders threatened to charge me for my wife's drink if I did not produce her card, I just laughed pointed to her and they capitulated. No one else cared at all. Odd.

If you go to Starbucks you have to hold your card up and the coffee is free, it's the only "self swipe" on the ship, I got billed by swiping, free for flashing.

We were wondering who was across from us. We loved the balcony and spent a lot of time out there as a family.

We had one experience with a waitress in the comedy club who wanted to a card to go with each drink ordered. That was the only time I can think of that someone questioned after showing card.

I will say my husband did all the starbucks runs so I'm not sure what his process was but we weren't charged at all. He would usually get at least 4 drinks at a time.

Thank you for your thoughtful review! It sounds like you had a wonderful week! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Capt. Bob! We are sailing the Allure in March and have him booked for our day in St. Maarten! I'm sorry you did not enjoy your meals in Coastal Kitchen. We are booked in a GS and were planning on several dinners there. Was it the selections or the food preparation that was disappointing to you and your group?

Thanks again for your review!

Thank you for your thoughtful review! It sounds like you had a wonderful week! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Capt. Bob! We are sailing the Allure in March and have him booked for our day in St. Maarten! I'm sorry you did not enjoy your meals in Coastal Kitchen. We are booked in a GS and were planning on several dinners there. Was it the selections or the food preparation that was disappointing to you and your group?

Thanks again for your review!

I think it was probably a combination of menu choices and quality of the meal. For example at breakfast I wasn't a fan of the breakfast potato and it was cold. I think my husband had ordered shrimp cocktail and size of shrimp was disappointing. Just not impressed.

Did you go to breakfast in the Windjammer at all?

I read in another review that there were lines out of the door at breakfast. I'm wondering at what times on Allure you can walk in and be seated in the morning? What time does it start to get really busy?

We did have breakfast a few times in Windjammer. At least 2x we ate there other times I would bring back to the room. It was a little bit of a scramble to find a table but never an issue and never encountered lines to get in. We were there on later side so can't speak to lines earlier. Once was a sea day around 10am, and second was St. Maarten around 9:30.

It seems odd that you were charged $25 for the wine pairings at the Chef's Table. We have it reserved for our Allure cruise in March - and it sounded to me like the rate you pay per person includes the wine... even though we have paid a discounted rate of $76pp vs the usual $95pp.

It seems odd that you were charged $25 for the wine pairings at the Chef's Table. We have it reserved for our Allure cruise in March - and it sounded to me like the rate you pay per person includes the wine... even though we have paid a discounted rate of $76pp vs the usual $95pp.

We were surprised too. The sommelier turned ringmaster just presented it to us. We never brought it up to the genie, we forgot.

On coastal, I agree, I got three different meals with fried eggs on top, all fried til hard, not all were breakfast. Just awful, so we just stopped going. Service was top shelf.

When we sailed Genie past August we were told that the upgraded steaks and lobsters at Chops, ice cream at scoops, and the over and above wine pairings at 150 and Chefs table were extra. It sounds as though things vary by ship. Hopefully they are getting things more streamlined across the ships. After the cost of the cabin I'm not sure why the baulk at a $4 ice cream cone.

RC is good at being inconsistent.:);)

Edited by A&L_Ont

When we sailed Genie past August we were told that the upgraded steaks and lobsters at Chops, ice cream at scoops, and the over and above wine pairings at 150 and Chefs table were extra. It sounds as though things vary by ship. Hopefully they are getting things more streamlined across the ships. After the cost of the cabin I'm not sure why the baulk at a $4 ice cream cone.

RC is good at being inconsistent.:);)

I agree, we just could not predict it. We had a scant few instances of getting charged, and inconsistent service and they were irksome.

Chops was all free, wine, lobster upgrades, everything. Sadly the lobster was very lacking in our dinner, we never went back. Which was sad as we planned to go twice. Service was just awful it took over 30 min to place a drink order, and that was only after we tracked down the head guy. This is not consistent feedback I have heard, but we were star, and they knew it obviously.

150 was all free, wine bottle after wine bottle, and went out of their way to get us everything, even found stuff they liked. I can't rave enough about the staff and service, we closed the place 2 times! We are foodies and so is the staff, they seemed to really enjoy our company.

Chef's table was a huge letdown, in every way, not just the charge, but the experience, food, everything. My read is they were poorly trained, the sommelier is not a sommelier, chef is not allowed to innovate, it felt like a carbon copy of a previously lived scripted evening.

Izumi I paid for a bottle of saki, with discount, but thats the rules, no one else followed them, but Izumi.

Was accosted several times rudely for ordering two drinks, but every other time never had any issue and got up to 4.

Where we suffered, it seems like the folks who started this thread is our past experiences. Star class are paying $10,000 and up for cabins, I'd guess a high percentage of people who do that tend to enjoy some finer experiences on land. I'm sure many who are not star do as well, but what star is trying to promise is top end service and attention for your trip, many Star class know what that means. To do that, you just can't miss. Go to an Oberoy, One and Only, or other 6 star resort and all the experiences are 6 star. Star's should expect the promise fulfilled, more than those not paying 6 star prices buying the status. Royal had it tough as six star exists inside a 4-5 star experience, they chose to add Star, so they get to figure it out. They are close, but there is a tiny bit of slippage 3-4 times a week, but in a 6 star world, that is unacceptable. Royal just can't compete with a world class resort yet, but they seem to be working on it.

It was a great week, glad we did it. This is our 4th suite at this level, first genie, was a huge upgrade. But for us, and I know this is controversial, probably our last. We go because our family loves this experience, not because we do.

Don't let me depress you, enjoy it, if you temper ur expectations a bit to growing pains, it will be perfect. It is a great week.

Brittoni, no depressing me at all.:) As I stated earlier, we sailed Star once so far in August 2016. We have two booked for this year, and another for spring 2018. Before Star existed, we cruised in what are now designated as Star Class cabins a total of 14 times since May 2012. We always booked them for location, cabin size and space.

Can it be done better? You bet. It sure has improved though before Star existed. Before, we were paying for the new and current "freebies", especially when the cabin prices really haven't changed pre and post Star Class. We still go to the occasional land resort, but I can't just sit still for a week and my DW is happy so long as she has the sunshine and warmth. I think they will get it more consistent as things go forward, but this is RC.;)

I can fully appreciate you only going when your family is as it is a matter of preference.:)

Chef's table was a huge letdown, in every way, not just the charge, but the experience, food, everything. My read is they were poorly trained, the sommelier is not a sommelier, chef is not allowed to innovate, it felt like a carbon copy of a previously lived scripted evening.

Our understanding of Chefs Table is that the Menu is across the entire fleet. All ships serve the same food on the same menu and the chefs may not deviate from that menu.

Was accosted several times rudely for ordering two drinks....

This how the crew is trained... they are not supposed to allow multiple drinks on one SeaPass card, regardless the color. How hard would it have been to collect the other SeaPass cards to get drinks

Don't let me depress you, enjoy it, if you temper ur expectations a bit to growing pains, it will be perfect. It is a great week.

Thank you for your comments. We stay in full suites and not sure we would find it better to travel in Star Class unless we brought my family with us.

• 5 months later...