Using US$s in Canadian ports?

pris993

Planning a cruise on Cunard in the fall up to Quebec City and back to New York.

We usually explore ports on our own, don't buy anything significant a few small gifts, postcards generally. May shop for wine in port. Wondering if I need to take some Canadian dollars or will local merchants except US$?

You can certainly use US dollars thru out most of Canada. Your exchange rate rate may not be the best and you may get back Canadian dollars as change. You would be best to charge most purchases, except for those few odds and ends,

Cheers

Len

If you will be in other Canadian ports, I'd recommend stopping at an ATM in the first port and withdrawing $20-$40 or whatever you think you may need for your time in Canada. Some Canadian banks are affiliated with US banks so that you don't incur charges for using an out-of-network ATM. For example, BOA is affiliated with ScotiaBank so it's free to use the latter's ATMs. Often, merchants don't/won't charge small items.

• 4 weeks later...
I used USD, but ended up getting change in a mix of CAD and USD, depending on where I was.

This is what I find when I travel to Canada, which use to be quite often. They quickly take US dollars, but will give you change back in Canadian dollars. Therefore, make sure you have small bills.

You can certainly use US dollars thru out most of Canada. Your exchange rate rate may not be the best and you may get back Canadian dollars as change. You would be best to charge most purchases, except for those few odds and ends,

Cheers

Len

I strongly disagree. While some merchants might be willing to take US currency in Niagara Falls and coastal port cities, a blanket statement that you can use US dollars at most merchants through Canada is patently false.

Planning a cruise on Cunard in the fall up to Quebec City and back to New York.

We usually explore ports on our own, don't buy anything significant a few small gifts, postcards generally. May shop for wine in port. Wondering if I need to take some Canadian dollars or will local merchants except US$?

There will be a bank owned ATM within a couple blocks of any pier. Just get some Canadian cash there. BNS, CIDC, BNS and TDB are all trustworthy. You might also want to check with your bank at home, sometimes they have alliances with a Canadian Bank so there are no ATM fees.

I strongly disagree. While some merchants might be willing to take US currency in Niagara Falls and coastal port cities, a blanket statement that you can use US dollars at most merchants through Canada is patently false.

The question was asked about ports on a cruise. ALL merchants will accept US dollars in any of those ports, as well as any other place where Americans visit. I really wasn't referring to places where Americans don't go. If you think any merchant will NOT accept US dollars in any port cities, you are mistaken.

Cheers

Len

The question was asked about ports on a cruise. ALL merchants will accept US dollars in any of those ports, as well as any other place where Americans visit. I really wasn't referring to places where Americans don't go. If you think any merchant will NOT accept US dollars in any port cities, you are mistaken.

Cheers

Len

Actually I am not mistaken. There are small shops and restaurants that will not accept US currency, even in port cities.

Are you really so provincial as to think that Americans don't travel to Canada outside port cities? Wow. Just wow. I guess my numerous trips to Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta were a figment of my imagination.

Calm down. They WILL BE in coastal tourist ports, I'm am sure they'll be able to use dollars.

I live in Halifax Nova Scotia which is a busy cruise ship port. Near the cruise terminal most if not all shops will take US money. Your change will be in Canadian dollars and the exchange rate will be less than bank rate.

The further you go from the cruise terminal your chances of using American cash goes down. Not all shops accept it. Best to use a credit card or use a bank machine.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

I live in Halifax Nova Scotia which is a busy cruise ship port. Near the cruise terminal most if not all shops will take US money. Your change will be in Canadian dollars and the exchange rate will be less than bank rate.

The further you go from the cruise terminal your chances of using American cash goes down. Not all shops accept it. Best to use a credit card or use a bank machine.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Thank you for the honest and accurate information. It's amazing how provincial some U.S. Americans are about travel and expecting the rest of the world to speak English, accept US currency, and conform to US customs.

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha,:D

Right now, US$100 equals to C$124 or C$100 equals to US$80. If you pay for something that says C$100 in US$100, you just gave a C$24 tip to whoever you paid.

For this reason, I always convert my US$ to C$ before I go to Canada. I also keep track of currency rates and convert my US$ to foreign currency when the rates are in my favor for places I would like to travel to.

For example, the Japanese Yen (¥) used to be US$100 equals to ¥7600 in 2011. Today US$100 equals ¥12400. I'm planning to spend about 3 weeks in Japan next year playing tourist with my wife and her 85yo aunt. I figure it will cost about ¥140,000 a week for food and lodging or US$1,129. In 2011, it would have cost US$1,842. Over 3 weeks, that is a difference of US$2,139.

Because of this difference in exchange rates, I follow the rates as a hobby and I'll change US$ into ¥ when I figure the rates are maximized in my favor. This depends on the Japanese economic recovery or if the US goes into another recession. Same thing with the Canadian currency.

Remember, you can always change your leftover C$ back to US$ after your trip. The rate will always be better than paying US$ for C$ when you buy something in Canada.

Aloha:D

Yea, I guess we Americans are so spoiled, thinking everyone wants our money and most Americans are giving it out pretty readily. To find merchants who will not accept our money, well, they are a very diminishing number. those that won't just won't make that sale, and as we Americans do, we will spend that money and give it to some one who will accept it.

Darn there goes more idealistic values.

Cheers

Len

Just to be clear, the CAD is the only legal tender in Canada. That said, as a courtesy to our American cousins most merchants and service providers in towns close to the border and in port cities will accept the USD. Surprisingly even the Canadian Post Office will accept the USD. In all cases you will not likely get a good exchange rate, it will be somewhere between 0 and 10% and you are likely to get your change in CAD...so keep the denominations small. Check with your credit card company re foreign transaction fees, I get outraged with BofA when I use their Visa outside of the U.S. All and all you may find it just as cheap to use your USD if you are only going to make a few purchases rather than going to an ATM or using your US credit card.

Used to be The CapitalOne card was one of the few that carried no foreign transaction fees. Now there are many that do this.

As was said, check with your credit card company to find out.

Cheers

Len

I have both a US and a Canadian Capital One card but have never used one out of the respective countries. I know they advertise "no foreign transaction fees" but I have never checked on their exchange rate...I guess my suspicion is the make it up that way but I could be very wrong.