Cane Garden Bay or Brewer's Bay beach???

cruza

What is the difference between Cane Garden Bay or Brewer's Bay beach? Which is has less people and better facilities?

We will be there in end of OCtober and looking for best beach location in Tortola with good transportation to/from options.

Thanks Mike

What is the difference between Cane Garden Bay or Brewer's Bay beach? Which is has less people and better facilities?

We will be there in end of OCtober and looking for best beach location in Tortola with good transportation to/from options.

Thanks Mike

Brewer's has fewer people.

Cane Garden has more facilities.

Brewer's has one restaurant, bar and bathroom. Cane Garden has many.

Both are attractive beaches, both close to port and easy to reach.

I agree with the above post, except for the close to port part, which I guess is all relative and open to interpretation. The ships stop in Roadtown on the south shore of Tortola and both beaches are on the north shore, so you have to go across the island to get there. It's not that many miles, but the miles take you on winding roads over a mountain. It's a beautiful, lush island, so you will get to see a bit of it on the way. Very approximately 20 minute ride to each beach---I'm not great at remembering such details. There will be taxis waiting to take you.

Thanks Mike

Mike as noted neither has both. BB is much less touristy and is a nice beach and offers great snorkeling and Nicole's has a great burger and rents lounges and snorkel gear. CGB is home to 6 or 7 beach bars/restaurants and is a larger bay and generally calm with with water toy rentals and a couple good lunch options, Myett's and Tony's.

So for a busy vibe it's CGB, for a more relaxed experience Brewers.

Both are a 20 min taxi and $8pp each way on a safari taxi.

I agree with the above post, except for the close to port part, which I guess is all relative and open to interpretation. The ships stop in Roadtown on the south shore of Tortola and both beaches are on the north shore, so you have to go across the island to get there. It's not that many miles, but the miles take you on winding roads over a mountain. It's a beautiful, lush island, so you will get to see a bit of it on the way. Very approximately 20 minute ride to each beach---I'm not great at remembering such details. There will be taxis waiting to take you.

We posted at about the same time jaga04 :)

Yes the taxi crosses over the island and the ride is part of the experience. An inexpensive group island tour is also a great idea if you want to see more of Tortola's beauty and history and then get dropped at a beach for a couple hours...

After much reading this summer on these boards , we went to Brewer's Bay on Tortola.

It was quiet, relaxing, not busy. The water was clear - my family loved it!

Thanks BlueOcean for the great advice on these boards - you certainly helped make my vacation better!

I will try to attach a pic :)

Thanks again!

IMG_1743.jpg.30afbe604a970b2b07f5adb61fa497be.jpg

After much reading this summer on these boards , we went to Brewer's Bay on Tortola.

It was quiet, relaxing, not busy. The water was clear - my family loved it!

Thanks BlueOcean for the great advice on these boards - you certainly helped make my vacation better!

I will try to attach a pic :)

Thanks again!

Thanks canton oh! That's a great shot of you all and the water looks gorgeous! Makes me want to get back there! ;)

I'll sound like the kid that will not eat his green beans, even though he has never tried them. BREWERS, BREWERS! 1st time could not snorkel, huge waves, what a day. Not more than 10 people. Drink, food, ambiance. 2nd time calm as glass great snorkeling. Not more than 10 people. As stated have not been to Cane Garden BUT 10 people or less, facility, and great scenery in my opinion is one of the best beaches anywhere. It's like you own it. Trust me. Happy travels.

• 2 weeks later...

You can google pictures of Brewers Bay, Cane Garden Bay, Long Bay and Smuggler's Cove and see videos on YouTube. This thread has some brief descriptions as well as advice from many folks who visit Tortola beaches...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877491

Edited by blue_water

You can google pictures of Brewers Bay, Cane Garden Bay, Long Bay and Smuggler's Cove and see videos on YouTube. This thread has some brief descriptions as well as advice from many folks who visit Tortola beaches...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877491

We're visiting Tortola in December and planning to go to either CGB or BB. We've never been to the Caribbean before and have no experience of what's on offer - if my teenagers wants to try a water sport whilst we are there, what kind of thing is available, at what kind of cost, and are the people who offer them reliable/safety conscious, etc? Son is a very good, strong swimmer, daughter is an OK swimmer.

Mike as noted neither has both. BB is much less touristy and is a nice beach and offers great snorkeling and Nicole's has a great burger and rents lounges and snorkel gear. CGB is home to 6 or 7 beach bars/restaurants and is a larger bay and generally calm with with water toy rentals and a couple good lunch options, Myett's and Tony's.

So for a busy vibe it's CGB, for a more relaxed experience Brewers.

Both are a 20 min taxi and $8pp each way on a safari taxi.

Are you sure about the snorkel gear rental at nicoles? I thought I'd read they only have chairs...

Are you sure about the snorkel gear rental at nicoles? I thought I'd read they only have chairs...

we haven't snorkeled there but did read others rented them there. Let's get confirmation from others here!

Edited by blue_water

Winston I may be wrong on the snorkel gear rental per 4gomez, I thought Nicole's had a limited number of sets but I may be thinking of another spot, sorry, it's been awhile. There are rentals available near the dock.

Do ask the driver or dive shop what the conditions are like that day. If conditions happen to be rough that week Brewers can be quite choppy and you may want to also pack a lunch and go to Smuggler's Cove instead. No amenities other than a portapotty, and a little further from port. But what a gorgeous spot...

Winston I may be wrong on the snorkel gear rental per 4gomez, I thought Nicole's had a limited number of sets but I may be thinking of another spot, sorry, it's been awhile. There are rentals available near the dock.

Do ask the driver or dive shop what the conditions are like that day. If conditions happen to be rough that week Brewers can be quite choppy and you may want to also pack a lunch and go to Smuggler's Cove instead. No amenities other than a portapotty, and a little further from port. But what a gorgeous spot...

Thanks and no worries, blue_water!

4Gomez, if you think about it when you get back, can you come back to this thread and update us whether Nicole's does have rentals or not?

I've contacted a scuba place at the dock, but just wondering whether it's more worth it to purchase/bring our own since the attraction of renting is that you can rent/snorkel/drop off and not have to lug the stuff around. If I have to rent at the dock, I'm still carrying the stuff across the island!

Hey I'll give you guys a rundown ASAP. Since we are in only from 7-1 (I know why but it's BS) This year even though it is a short day I am trying to figure out how to spend a couple of hours at brewer's and a couple at cane garden ( with a SHORT stop at the distillery between the two) as our adult kids have been to neither. Any comments on this strategy would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been there 3 times. 2 without incident. The one time we had a van taxi take us there with about 6 others we did not know and as usual reserved payment upon his return. I guess we were having to much fun because when we got out of the water, I noticed that the others from the group were not there. The barkeep called for a taxi but of course you're on island time and we were cutting it short. Thank God, 2 young gals from Omaha had just arrived by car. I politely TOLD them that we needed a ride back to the ship NOW. If you have been on the roads there you know what I am talking about when I say it was a wild ride back. Undaunted, I'm still going back in 9 days. This time we may have the taxi stay with us, spend a few hours at Brewer's, hit the rum distillery on our way to Cane Garden and in a timely manner head back to the ship. Actually I don't think I answered your question. Oh well. You only live once, go for it.

Is it easy to get a taxi back from BB? Or should we have a driver wait for us there?

No need to have a driver wait, you can ask your driver to return or just have Nicole's call a taxi. If you want to hire a driver you can, but the hourly rate is $220 for 4 hrs for 2ppl. You just need to monitor the time, taxis aren't a problem.