Toddler on Conquest

tangerineplaid

Hi! My husband and I are looking at an 8 day on the Conquest. Anyone have any advice on room selection, activities and the kid's club when traveling with a 2 year old :-) Very interested especially in any personal experiences with the kids club on the Conquest. Thanks!

We went on the Conquest when my son was 2 and then the sister ship, Freedom when my son was 3. As far as cabins went, we had an ocean view both times. You want to make sure that there is a sofa bed for your child. You don't want to have to deal with a bunk bed.

As for the kids club, my son only went to the kids club twice on the Conquest. He was a young 2 and he really didn't want to go. He was shy around new people The staff was great with him the two times he did want to stay. On the Freedom, he loved the kids club. He went at least twice a day. The staff again was awesome.

As for activities, there aren't any kids activities if they aren't in the kids club. We hung out, went swimming (he was potty trained) and explored the ship

We did an 8 day on the Freedom with our (almost) 2 year old and just completed a 4 day on the Sensation with our (now) 2 year old. The Freedom and the Conquest are the same class of ship, so very similar. I wrote a detailed review with a lot of tips. There's a link in my signature if you're interested. We had a blast! Just be flexible and bring some extra patience on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the conquest with my just two year old. She didn't like the kids club and wasn't potty trained, so we did a lot of walking around. They have mini golf and a few other things to do. We also had a balcony for when she took naps, etc. The camp was good, but she didn't want to leave us.

This brings up a question that I am not sure has been asked before. We are taking our 3 year old granddaughter on her first cruise in September. I expect she will do fine but it occurs to me that the boat drill could get to be an issue if it takes longer than about 15 minutes or whatever her attention span is at the moment! :) Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this situation? Is there a "sitting" area nearby where her mom could take her for the drill to keep her occupied? Just curious. :confused:

If the child acts up they will bring one parent in with the child, so the rest of the group can hear the instructions. It takes no more than 30 min. Had the process is getting everyone there and settled in.

Hmmm...my wife and I were talking and we really don't remember seeing any toddlers during any of the drills we have been to. We figured they may put them in Camp Carnival or something. On a hot day, even a quick drill is pretty bad with the crowding and the traditional last minute arrivals, drinks in hand! :mad: Oh well, we'll see how it works.

Hmmm...my wife and I were talking and we really don't remember seeing any toddlers during any of the drills we have been to. We figured they may put them in Camp Carnival or something. On a hot day, even a quick drill is pretty bad with the crowding and the traditional last minute arrivals, drinks in hand! :mad: Oh well, we'll see how it works.

I've cruised with my toddler twice and both times we were required to participate in muster just like anyone else. The first time was pretty bad -- we were standing outside in the heat packed in like sardines and my little guy screamed and cried the whole time. Plus they forced a band on his wrist which terrified him (that's when he REALLY started to scream).

Second time, half of muster was in the main lounge and then they took everyone outside to their lifeboat station. He did a bit better that time -- but it was still a really long time for a little guy to be still and quiet. We totally understood that it was necessary and we made the best of it, but it certainly wasn't a highlight of our trip ;)

Edited by ProfCruise

ProfCruise, your experience sounds more like what I would expect from our 3yo. It has to be a bit frightening to be crammed into a large crowd of folks and expected to be still and quiet! But, as you say, it is a necessity and we'll just deal with it as best we can.

During muster drill just ask the leader of your station if you and your child can be up front. They will accommodate. They also will let you leave early before the other passengers. Just ask, it is nothing to worry about. I have a 6 year old and she has been on 33 cruises to date, no issues with muster drills by simply following what I mentioned.

• 2 months later...
This brings up a question that I am not sure has been asked before. We are taking our 3 year old granddaughter on her first cruise in September. I expect she will do fine but it occurs to me that the boat drill could get to be an issue if it takes longer than about 15 minutes or whatever her attention span is at the moment! :) Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this situation? Is there a "sitting" area nearby where her mom could take her for the drill to keep her occupied? Just curious. :confused:

go at the last minute, but it's just like waiting at the bank or check out lane or doc office. My kid has always done fine. BUT I explain to her what I expect and what she can expect, and what we'll do afterwards.

Op, I can't answer about the kids club as we've never dropped dd off. BUT I have cruised with her three times. SO I can offer over all tips, if you want.

I've cruised with my toddler twice and both times we were required to participate in muster just like anyone else. The first time was pretty bad -- we were standing outside in the heat packed in like sardines and my little guy screamed and cried the whole time. Plus they forced a band on his wrist which terrified him (that's when he REALLY started to scream).

Second time, half of muster was in the main lounge and then they took everyone outside to their lifeboat station. He did a bit better that time -- but it was still a really long time for a little guy to be still and quiet. We totally understood that it was necessary and we made the best of it, but it certainly wasn't a highlight of our trip ;)

Oh, I didn't expect my kid to be still or quiet. :D

her first, disney we were in a dining room, her second, it was freaking cold and only her daddy went outside, we waited inside, sorry no way. 3rd, we ended up leaving our cabin at teh wrong time and got stuck going with the crowd to muster, so packed like sardines early. But no screaming or crying, that wouldn't fly with me at 3! Dh is pretty good about holding dd and talking her. We certainly weren't paying attention or quiet. opps. (Hey, I skipped them completely before kid!)

If nothing else, hey, after muster drill we'll go get an ice cream cone or go swimming or check out the kids club, give them something to look forward it. :D The bands have always been optional. We did get one last cruise, I wish I hadn't, ugly orange in all my pictures. Maybe around her ankle?

We cruise with my granddaughter and as for our experience the bands are not optional. They are required as they identify which muster station your child should be taken in case of emergency. In fact a few times her band has slipped off and a crew member has noticed and required that another one be put on. Yes they are ugly but I want to be sure she is safe in an emergency.

You could also ask them to put the band around you child's ankle. That's what we did with my 19 month old. When we go on our next one, he'll be 3 and I'll ask them to do the same. He wouldn't be able to keep a band on. The little Houdini has escaped from several full arm casts.