cayo levantado beach escape

decruzer

Not having much luck on getting any feed back from people that have been to this port. Has anybody been on any of these shore excursions on NCL. Either the retreat to Grand Paradise Resort, Cayo Levantado Beach Escape or the Catamaran Sail and Beach Escape? We are looking for any information that we can get to help us decide what to do.

Thanks!!!!

We've done the Cayo Beach escape on Royal Caribbean. I assume it would be similar on NCL. You pass the island with the beach as you sail into the spot where the ship docks for the day. The beach is on one end of the island with a beach resort on the other end. The tender picks you up from the ship and takes you direct to the beach. At least on Royal Caribbean the tour times are 10, 10:30, 11 and 11:30. They start running tenders back to the ship at 2:30 and run them until 5.

The beach is gorgeous. There are trees for shade. There is an area that sells food and drink. I think there are also some water items for rent. There is also an area for snorkeling. The ship also makes a nice backdrop in the distance. Locals come out with different animals and I think it is 8.00 for a picture with the animal.

There are a couple different ways to get to the beach from the tender. One area takes you through trees and by the water. One takes you past some locals that have items for sale. Be prepared to bargin.

We are going back to this island next year on RCI and would have no hesitation in doing it again. Please ask if you have any more questions. If I knew how to attach pictures, I'd attach a couple of the ones that I took.

What did you do about the malaria risk since the DR (Cayo Len) is in a risk area? I am worried to death about being bit by a mosquito. Please let me know if you guys were bother by any inspects or use OFF or took meds before travelling. Also any travellers diarrhea issues visiting those island. I was last in Bermuda and had no problems. Thanks for any feedback.

What did you do about the malaria risk since the DR (Cayo Len) is in a risk area? I am worried to death about being bit by a mosquito. Please let me know if you guys were bother by any inspects or use OFF or took meds before travelling. Also any travellers diarrhea issues visiting those island. I was last in Bermuda and had no problems. Thanks for any feedback.

We did Cayo in May and loved it. I didn't get bit by mosquitos, I don't even think I saw one on the beach. I also went back to the DR to a little town called Las Terranas in July for a 10 day vacation and got bit up. I did use off, but we sat outside everynight for dinner, so my chances of getting bit were greater. There were 8 of us all got bit and none got sick.

We were the same way. My mom especially usually gets bitten immediately by mosquitos and didn't get a bite. I think it helps that you aren't there during sunrise or sunset hours.

As for any intestinal issues, I have a tendancy to drink only water anyway so drank only bottled water. My mom had a virgin drink and had no problems. We had a late breakfast and an early supper on ship so didn't eat any food that we purchased on the island. We've been told that you can take cereal off with you since it is sealed and doesn't hurt the ecology. We did take a box each off and eat it. We're both picky vegiterians and figured we'd have problems getting something we'd like to eat.

hi there read up on dengue fever as that would most likely to occur from a mosquito bite in the carib. an online tropical institute would have all that info. we always travel with repellent as the bugs home in on me no matter what time of day or night. as for diarrhea well its a hit and miss situation either you get it or you dont. more likley not if you follow advice been posted bring your own food from the ship. our rule no ice in drinks, no ice cream, no tap water, fruit that can be peeled, no fresh salad, only drinks from sealed cans or bottles, only food out of cans, bread and if you feel adventurous grilled fish or grilled meat ( cooked through) hygene standards on a different scale, and finaly there is always the sick bay on the ship, dont fret follow simple rules and enjoy the fantastic islands

• 1 month later...
We've done the Cayo Beach escape on Royal Caribbean. I assume it would be similar on NCL. You pass the island with the beach as you sail into the spot where the ship docks for the day. The beach is on one end of the island with a beach resort on the other end. The tender picks you up from the ship and takes you direct to the beach. At least on Royal Caribbean the tour times are 10, 10:30, 11 and 11:30. They start running tenders back to the ship at 2:30 and run them until 5.

The beach is gorgeous. There are trees for shade. There is an area that sells food and drink. I think there are also some water items for rent. There is also an area for snorkeling. The ship also makes a nice backdrop in the distance. Locals come out with different animals and I think it is 8.00 for a picture with the animal.

There are a couple different ways to get to the beach from the tender. One area takes you through trees and by the water. One takes you past some locals that have items for sale. Be prepared to bargin.

We are going back to this island next year on RCI and would have no hesitation in doing it again. Please ask if you have any more questions. If I knew how to attach pictures, I'd attach a couple of the ones that I took.

So are you saying you took the excursion through RCI? was it the $42.00 one and did it just include the ride to the island? is there a safe way to get there on you own?

Not having much luck on getting any feed back from people that have been to this port. Has anybody been on any of these shore excursions on NCL. Either the retreat to Grand Paradise Resort, Cayo Levantado Beach Escape or the Catamaran Sail and Beach Escape? We are looking for any information that we can get to help us decide what to do.

Thanks!!!!

I was on the Dawn in March of 07 and we did the Catamaran Sail and Beach Escape. I highly recommend it. You snorkel, go to Cayo Levantando, then go on another beach for fresh fruit and drinks where you can sit on hammocks and unwind. The staff was amazing. My bf and I still talk about going "norkeling" as Wellington (part of the staff) called it.

• 2 weeks later...

The price of $42.00 for the Royal Caribbean tour sounds about right (we did the tour in May). It did include just the tender to and from the island. In 2007 they offered two different tours to the island--one that included lunch and was about this price and one that was just the tender. I'm not sure why they only did the tender one this year at the higher price. There were a few other tours that ended up at the island but other than an official tour I don't know of any way to get there. Someone else might can help you with this.

• 6 years later...

How long is the boat ride. Are they small boats. I don't like small boats or ones that go too fast, motion gets me feeling ill. I was thinking of taking one that is being offered by Holland America. Has anyone been on this one and can let me know about boat ride.

Reviving threads that are more than six years old is not a good idea. Start a new thread to get more up-to-date information. Many people do not look at posting dates and may be misinformed as a result.

Edited by CintiPam

• 1 month later...
How long is the boat ride. Are they small boats. I don't like small boats or ones that go too fast, motion gets me feeling ill. I was thinking of taking one that is being offered by Holland America. Has anyone been on this one and can let me know about boat ride.

We went on it last week. The sea had quite a swell, and the boat trip over was very choppy, and bumpy and fast. My mum has a bad back, and was in a lot of pain as we were airborne over waves and bumping back down. In the end I waved at the guy driving the boat to slow down, and then it was a little better, but still not suitable for those you suffer with motion sickness.

When we did get over there the beach was beautiful, with some shade from trees, and there is some nice snorkeling too.