Live from the Spirit April 26 Barcelona to Rome

spinnaker2

Yes to all.

Now I have shared it with you. As I left there, I put a rock in my pocket. I will return.

But our jeep tour wasn't over, only a few more photos and I am finished.

Back to some paved roads then dirt. Surprise! Antonio did not want to displease me, so we drove by a nuraghi tower, we couldn't stop, but at least I did see it and have a photo in my mind. A definite reason to go back.

Next we went to the Tomba dei giganti coddu vecchju, one of the megalithic graves used as public tombs by the Nuragic civilization. These were built during the Bronze age. At the present time 321 have been discovered on Sardinia, likely there are many more.

At this moment the sky opened up and it poured rain. The wind was moving the rain in sheets, but a few brave souls walked in the downpour to the site of the tomb.

This particular tomb was found at the edge of a vineyard.

I didn't want to get my camera wet, so unfortunately I had to take a distance shot. Hope you can get the flavor of the size and symmetry.

image_zpso5rstciq.jpeg

Then just as quickly as the rain came it was gone and our jeep drivers set up a snack for us. Too bad we had so much at the church, a lot of the food went untouched.

image_zpskz2i187d.jpeg

Enjoying the company of our tour guide, the concert violinist, that's DH at our picnic site.

image_zpsgp1omoh3.jpeg

After this light repast we left to go to Porto Cervo. I won't bother to describe it, other than it was pink and plastic and created for the "rich, famous and infamous". UGH

There are a number of pax aboard who are very demanding and just plain RUDE. Apparently nothing will please them.

When disembarking a tender in very rough seas a man pushed me aside along with others, so that he could be among the first to rush off the tender. This was dangerous and people could have been hurt by his actions. In retrospect, I hadn't realized a King was aboard.

All of these comments are just to give some of the flavor of this mini cruise.

Sounds terrible, I'm glad I didn't continue after the crossing. Such a wonderful group on the crossing- so friendly!

Thanks Rachel.

I fear that I may be perceived as sounding a little starry eyed.

It was a great experience. Add to the mix that none of the local people spoke any English, and we didn't speak Italian (except for our drivers and guides), yet we communicated through wine, food and camaraderie.

I reflect back on the day and a smile crosses my face.

Thanks Rachel.

I fear that I may be perceived as sounding a little starry eyed.

It was a great experience. Add to the mix that none of the local people spoke any English, and we didn't speak Italian (except for our drivers and guides), yet we communicated through wine, food and camaraderie.

I reflect back on the day and a smile crosses my face.

Starry eyed? No, the only feeling that I had when reading your post was a little envy. I would smile too when remembering a day like that! That's real traveling, not a tourist experience.

The only experience we have that's even close to that is stumbling on a local festival in Neckarsulm last September. The whole town was out eating street food and drinking local wine and beer, so we joined in. Some spoke English, but not many, so it was not primarily a tourist thing. A local news guy was taking pictures and was amazed to find two people from New York there. We're on the news website somewhere as "New Yorkers at the Ganzhornfest" or something like that. As the night wore on, a German band played American '80s hits and we were dancing in the square until way too late. Surreal.

It was fun, but your day sounds even better. Love it!

Thanks JP, now I will have to try and find the site where you and your bride were enjoying the local color and making memories for the townsfolk!

Long ago and far away when I was a student nurse, and before I became hardened as a trial lawyer, I cried with joy at every baby delivery I saw, and there were about thirty of them. I was chastised for being too starry eyed by one of the older OB's. I try and temper down a notch. Sometimes it doesn't always work.

:-)

I've been enjoying your photos very much, as I will be on the same journey, albeit Rome to Barcelona in October on Spirit. My technique is much the same as yours, point and shoot on the Auto setting. But I love your perspective, close up and in detail. It gives a real sense of being there. Can't wait to shoot my own!

David

Yes we had a great crossing! Thanks to people like you and others who made it such fun.

I did enjoy the mini cruise, especially Sardinia. What could be bad about a Silversea cruise, except the guy from Peru?

Just signed up for another crossing, changed our booking from the Spirit.

Be well.

:-)

• 1 year later...

David,

We are on the September 21, voyage 5727, opera cruise on the Spirit and the cruise segment, 5728, immediately thereafter. Piraeus to Civitavecchia.

Our planned trivia reunion is the following September 10

crossing, voyage 5825, London to New York, in 2018.

Looking forward to seeing you and hope all is well.