Tampa/St Pete Beach hotels?

waterbugohio

Can someone give me some advice on good beach areas around St Pete Beach/Maderia/Treasure Island??

Would like to be right on the beach, but have heard there are good and better beaches along there.

We have never stayed on the west coast of Florida, so we don't know what to expect.

Hoping to do some bidding on priceline and see what i can get.

TIA

There are lots of condos that you can rent for a week in Madeira Beach and Treasure Island. I am not familiar with hotels there. Personally, I like to stay at hotels near the St. Pete airport and drive to the beach if I am only there a couple days. It saves some money and I still get plenty of beach time.

Maderia Beach area is VERY nice, you can go to John's Pass Village for a bit more to do

http://www.johnspass.com/

there are a number of smaller, privately owned hotels around here that should not be dismissed. Often times these older places have the prime property right on the beach . . .

http://www.booking.com/landmark/us/john-s-pass.en.html?aid=318760&label=msn-pG4E_sTuBu2FtkzGDIayRQ-2347509648&utm_campaign=Landmark+-+United+States+of+America&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_term=john's%20pass%20hotel%20madeira%20beach

my folks lived just off the beach for several years .... a nice long beach area for walking ...

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/madeira-beach-13235-gulf-boulevard-madeira-bay-resort-spa-and-marina.en-us.html?aid=318760;label=msn-pG4E_sTuBu2FtkzGDIayRQ-2347509648;sid=db0a964078bf49825fb728b71c7e34f7;dcid=1

BILMAR is very nice IME and if you go 6 miles south on the beach you can go big dog and try Don Cesar

http://www.bilmarbeachresort.com/

http://www.loewshotels.com/Don-CeSar-Hotel/

Edited by Capt_BJ

Ok you have countless options, I would contact Total Realty Services which will rent out condos on the water nightly not just weekly. They operate directly across the street from Johns Pass and have properties starting in redington shores all the way to St. Pete beach. Personally if you need to stay on the water side it will mostly be rental condos, but if you're ok staying on the harbor side which will show you an intercoastal you have so many more options. If you're ok with that I would pick the Holiday Inn Harborside on Indian rocks Beach. Lots of fantastic places to eat within walking distance, a CVS for last minute needs. They're building a water park there now, and also have put put throught the main walkway for guests to use. It's also really easy to get to Tampa from there. You just drive over the bridge you can see from the hotel and drive straight until you're in tampa and then you take an exit and only need to drive on maybe 2 more streets to get to the port. Tampa doesn't really have any nice beaches on that side of the bay. You may also be interested in going to Clearwater Beach and Sand Key. They have a ton of hotels/resorts directly on the water.

I live minutes from these places and have worked at hotels/condos when I was younger so I really know the area so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

St Pete beach, Treasure Island and Madeira Beach are all great places and beaches. In Treasure Island, on the beach, I can recommend Page Terrace. It is a three story older hotel/motel but pristine clean and great management there, check it out on tripadvisor. Another one of my favorites is Cheri Lyn motel, but it is across the street from the beach, but has some really good rates, and again, great management who cannot do enough for you.

Also, if you are considering St Pete beach, look south to Pass a Grille. There are some really neat small lodgings there, and some nice restaurants too. The area has a laid back, old Florida feel to it, and lots to see and do within walking distance.

I suggest you check out tripadvisor, and narrow down your area where you want to be. Lots of great info on that site.:)

wow, thanks so much to everyone for all the info.

We really don't have a particular place in mind. Will check out everything everyone suggested.

Just wanted to make sure the beaches were nice on that side. We normally do Fort Lauderdale, so we don't know anything about the "west coast"

Dr. Beach has ranked some of the beaches in Pinellas as some of the nicest beaches in america multiple times over the last 10 years. I know a few years ago 3 of the top 10 were all located her in Pinellas. Sand Key usually will make the list and their are a lot of hotels in that area. You can really find whatever it is your looking for here whether its $75 a night up to $2500 it really just depends but where you decide it will be a really great pre/post cruise destination and not far from the port at all.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, so much info here. So great to have such helpful people.

We are actually now looking into flying into Punta Gorda airport. Can get fantastic flights on Allegiant Air.

Will have a couple days so now we are not sure if we will stay up towards St Pete beach or maybe look at Sarasota/Anna Marie Island/Lido Key

What is the difference in these areas? beaches??

Sarasota et al is also know for beautiful beaches (big shelling scene here as I understand)

IME the area is much more laid back .... less 'industry' in the area hence more retired folks ... and with every mile you add away from Orlando and the Mouse . . things become less 'touristy'

BUT I'll bet you find the prices to be higher . . . this is a higher rent district retirement wise . . .

but I've only done a couple of day visits from the Tampa / St Pete area

Edited by Capt_BJ

Can someone give me some advice on good beach areas around St Pete Beach/Maderia/Treasure Island??

Would like to be right on the beach, but have heard there are good and better beaches along there.

We have never stayed on the west coast of Florida, so we don't know what to expect.

Hoping to do some bidding on priceline and see what i can get.

TIA

Prior to moving to the Tampa Bay area, my family and I often stayed at the Alden All Suites Resort on St. Pete Beach. We loved this hotel because all of the rooms offer a small kitchen, dining and living room area. The hotel is spotlessly clean, two pools, tennis courts, beach bar and much more.

It's just a matter of opinion but I actually like St.Pete Beach more than Treasure Island or Maderia Beach. It just seems less hectic in terms of traffic and crowds. JMO though.

The Alden is within easy walking distance to many shops and restaurants. If you rent a car, they have a secure key access-gated parking lot and parking garage. The staff is very professional and customer oriented. We have stayed there apx. 9-10 times in the past few years and never once had any type of issues.

Here is the link if you would like more info or to view some pictures.

http://www.aldenbeachresort.com/accommodation-en.html

wow, thanks so much to everyone for all the info.

We really don't have a particular place in mind. Will check out everything everyone suggested.

Just wanted to make sure the beaches were nice on that side. We normally do Fort Lauderdale, so we don't know anything about the "west coast"

The beaches of the "west coast" are wonderful!!! Worlds different from the Atlantic side.

Hey, just bid on Priceline and won a 3* "Postcard Inn" for $128 the end of Mar/2015 for 7 nights!! Right on the beach with free parking! Most reviews are good except most say it's a bit of a party scene...lol. Looks very nice in pics. I've contacted someone on Trip Advisor who was just there and raved about the place. She's been there 3 times! Guess you take ur chances! Checked out other sites and nothing cheaper than $300 a night!!:D

Great job on the bid. I have also been bidding but no luck so far. I have been holding out for a 3 1/2*

Also found decent regular rates for the Bilmar at Treasure Island or the Plaza Beach at St Pete Beach. Trying to research which one would have the most within walking distance (dont want to have to be dd)

Any advice on those two properties?

Great job on the bid. I have also been bidding but no luck so far. I have been holding out for a 3 1/2*

Also found decent regular rates for the Bilmar at Treasure Island or the Plaza Beach at St Pete Beach. Trying to research which one would have the most within walking distance (dont want to have to be dd)

Any advice on those two properties?

Both properties are well-kept middle-of-the-road type hotels. The Bilmar is larger so will offer more amenities. There are shops and restaurants within walking distance of both but more variety with many more restaurants and tiki-type beachy places near the Bilmar.

This is just my personal opinion but as a local here, I would stay at the Bilmar over the Plaza. :)

Also....... The Plaza is more like a solid 3 with the Bilmar the 3.5.

The Bilmar is more like a resort with an onsite restaurant and bar with the Plaza just being more like an older-style motel/hotel that is beach front.

I hope that this helps out a little bit. Good luck to you.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Here is the link to a really good local Italian restaurant. They have a location on Treasure Island right near the Bilmar and also a location near the Plaza Hotel on St. Pete Bch.

This restaurant has been around since I was a child. They make their own sauce, pizza dough and even their own sausage...... which btw is amazing.

Here is their link..... they deliver to the local hotels, so just a heads-up on that.

http://www.gigisstpete.com/treasureisland/index.php

You will not find a better beach on the planet than Siesta Key Beach but it is very expensive. Gorgeous and always makes the list of top beaches on the planet.

That said, I would pick the Bilmar over the other hotel you are looking at. They have a Sloppy Joes oceanfront on property, the beach is fantastic there, and there is a ton of stuff within walking distance including a Public across the street.

Don't miss John's Pass. The view from the bar at Bubba Gumps or Hooters is the same view the draw bridge tender has. You have views of the waterway and the ocean.

The weird tiki bar in the back is also a lot of fun.

I also recommend the Bilmar over the Plaza beach hotel, because it is a bigger property with more amenities, and also the location cannot be beat. There is so much within easy walking distance. Restaurants, there are many nearby. Sloppy Joes right at the hotel, and my Treasure Island favorite Shrimpy's across the street and just around a corner in a strip mall, but great food, and some excellent craft beers. I have not stayed at or know anyone who has been at Plaza Beach in St Pete, but I believe they are run by the same family who runs Page Terrace in Treasure Island and which is next door to Bilmar. Now that is where I would stay, but Bilmar does have more amenities. Good luck with your hotel search.:)

Also not saying that the Plaza beach is not in a good location, it too is across from a Publix market, and near many great restaurants, and gets good reviews on tripadvisor.

Edited by SMSACE6

Thanks so much to all. I have the Bilmar booked, but able to canc. But with all the great suggestions and opinions on it, I think I will just quit looking and start looking at all the restaurants suggestions instead!!

This site is a great source of info. Just wish there was a site like it for every city we visit!!

You guys are the best. thanks again.

STOP!! You'll be thrilled to death with the Bilmar. Lots and lots to do in the immediate area and the beach is the bomb. Huge.

I live in South Florida in one of the nicest neighborhoods around by the beach and would be thrilled to spend a week at the Bilmar.

Don't miss John's Pass whatever you do!

Edited by BlueHerons

As someone who lives in the area I have to agree Bilmar was the way to go. Idk if you'll have a car, but don't be scared to head north on Gulf Blvd. Indian Rocks Beach has a lot of good places to choose from to get dinner and would only be about a 15-20 minute drive, or you can drive about 30 minutes and get to clearwater beach and enjoy the pier 60 stuff and they have a lot of good places to eat as well. A lot of times there will be fire spinners and lots of street vendors.

OK, since I got such wonderful advice on this thread from the locals, I have another completely different question.

Where should we go saturday afternoon to watch ships go under the Sunshine bridge?

I read some old threads. Someone said there are pull off areas at the beginning and end of the bridge?? Another mentioned watching from the land at Fort de Sodo?

I just think watching it from atop the bridge would be awesome. Is there a walkway on the bridge?

thanks all

PS, yes we will have a car.

Ft. Desoto Beach & Park would indeed be the place to watch the ships go under the Skyway Bridge. You can see it from any of the beaches or piers but my favorite place for a birds-eye view is on he beachy area near the turn-around circle. When you enter the park, after paying the entry fee ($5.00 per car) , you would turn left at the stop sign. Take that road all of the way down to the turn-around circle. Pull your car to the side and enjoy the view. The ships take 2 full hours from leaving the port of Tampa to this point, so estimate somewhere around 6pm give or take a few.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

****** If you do visit Ft Desoto, be sure to stop by Billy' Stonecrab Restaurant for lunch, dinner or a drink and an appetizer. Great food and a great atmosphere. The restaurant is located within a mile of the entrance of the park. http://www.billysstonecrab.com

Another good spot to view the ships would be the St. Pete side of the Skyway Bridge fishing pier. It is just past the toll booth but before the actual bridge.

http://skywaypiers.iarbiz.com/VkXVxMhMcd0=

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr