Splendor out of NYC - Which airport? Location for pre-cruise hotel?

D4

I've never been to NYC but I'm considering the Splendor.

Any tips on which airport to fly into? Also, any suggestions on the general vicinity for a pre-cruise hotel stay of 2 nights? If we went, we'd just like to see some quick highlights. Can you see the Statue of Liberty from the cruise ship?

Thanks for any suggestions. The planning might be more than I choose to undertake at this time.

I wish I had tips about the airports and hotels but I live on Long Island and drove to the port for my cruise ; )

I can however tell without a doubt that you do cruise right past Lady Liberty! I sailed Splendor last August. You get an amazing view of Freedom Tower, Lady Liberty and of course, the Verrazano Narrows bridge as you sail under!

Edited by windsbud

Any tips on which airport to fly into? Also, any suggestions on the general vicinity for a pre-cruise hotel stay of 2 nights? If we went, we'd just like to see some quick highlights. Can you see the Statue of Liberty from the cruise ship?

Thanks for any suggestions. The planning might be more than I choose to undertake at this time.

Laguardia is the closet airport and there is a holiday inn close to the port on 47 or 48 st.

What the other posters said about Laguardia and holiday Inn on 48th is correct. There is a Comfort Inn at 548 48th St.

You did'nt say what date you were looking at. We plan to take the Splender cruise next September 20th, 2015. When they open the dates for reservations, that is when I will book something. Good luck.

Elyse

Newark NJ is not far from the port and there are several hotels that may offer a transfer package to the port as well as free transfer from/to the airport. You will have to research it but the prices/incl. taxes are probably less in NJ. Laguardia airport is also a good choice and to be honest probably the same distance to the port (time wise) as Newark. STAY AWAY FROM KENNEDY!!! I have heard of some people flying into Kennedy and taking public transportation but I would never suggest it.

Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide...

I sailed on Spendor in April and I'm going again 10/11. It's absolutely beautiful sailing out of NYC. Theres so much to take in, I didn't know which way to look. I've always found the Statue of Liberty breathtaking. Fairly close but binoculars would be nice....I might pick up a pair before my next trip. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Hotels. I take the bus from Boston. Maybe New Yorkers could confirm...but I'm wondering if Newark, NJ could be an option?

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Long Island City for 2 nights pre-cruise. Price was reasonable and we travelled by subway to sightsee (about a 20 min walk to the station, though the the hotel may have had a shuttle). I would stay there again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Newark NJ is not far from the port and there are several hotels that may offer a transfer package to the port as well as free transfer from/to the airport. You will have to research it but the prices/incl. taxes are probably less in NJ. Laguardia airport is also a good choice and to be honest probably the same distance to the port (time wise) as Newark. STAY AWAY FROM KENNEDY!!! I have heard of some people flying into Kennedy and taking public transportation but I would never suggest it.

Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide...

Do you recommend Newark when sailing out of the Manhattan Port in NYC?

Cruising out of New York (Manhattan or Brooklyn) or Cape Liberty(Bayonne, NJ) is very much a DIY affair. You have to look at the cost of all the pieces and figure out what works best for your budget and objectives. There are almost no "all inclusive" packages - almost no port shuttles, park/sleeps are at airport hotels, and only the airport hotels offer hotel shuttles.

1) Airfare - you can fly into LaGuardia, JFK, or Newark. Newark is best for Cape Liberty. La Guardia is closer for Manhattan and Brooklyn.

2) Transportation cost to a hotel or the pier - cabs, car service, bus, and train are options from the airports. Airport hotels usually have free shuttles.

3) sightseeing requirements - what do you want to do in NYC, if anything.

4) Hotels - staying in Manhattan is pricey, but there are options in Queens and NJ

5) Luggage - the big question is always whether you can manage your luggage. Being able to take your stuff on an airport bus or train can be less costly than paying for private car services or a cab.

Each person's situation is different, so it really helps if you provide as many details as possible like exact dates, budget, number of people, and sightseeing. I often feel uncomfortable answering "one off" questions without knowing the big picture for an OP.

Edited by 138east

Thanks for all the responses. We received the super offer from Carnival for the 10/24 sailing to San Juan. If it were out of Florida, I'd jump on it because we frequently fly and cruise out of there so I wouldn't have to research anything. But NYC seems complicated and very expensive for a pre-cruise stay. I don't think I have the time or energy to quickly plan this trip.

So I finally received a great offer from Carnival and unfortunately will have to pass on it :(

I understand why NYC overwhelms people, but I don't think it has to be as complicated as people make it. It is expensive, no real way around that entirely. You can fly to any of the 3 airports, which one is cheaper depends on the flight costs plus transport to your hotel. The easiest way to get from the airport to the hotel is to take a taxi, you don't have to prebook anything, just follow the signs to the taxi stand. There are cheaper ways for all 3 airports of course, but if your goal is simple, that's the easiest by far.

And if you pick a hotel in the general area of Times Square (which I as a resident avoid but is very popular with tourists) you can then just walk around the midtown area and do whatever sightseeing strikes you. There are of course many things worth seeing outside that area, but again if you want to keep it simple, it's perfectly possible. Or just ask your hotel for suggestions once you get here.

I guess it depends on your travel style. I like to plan but I also like to leave some of it up to how I feel when I get somewhere. And to remember that you can always come back and just try to enjoy whatever you end up doing.

which airport is best? really depends on many factors( cost,non-stop flights time of arrival and you own personal preference).

LGA is closest but is the smallest airport with fewest coast to coast non-stops and is only an international airport where the flights are pre-cleared(mostly from Canada). EWR is next and JFK last but its only 22 miles to JFk close by many other city standards.

The E train goes to Jamaica and you can catch it at the 50th street and 8th avenue station - the northbound queens train

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html $7.50 pp and under an hour.

for LGA you take the same E train to Astoria and change for the express airport bus

Q70 Limited or Q47 buses. Connections to the E, F, M, R and 7 trains on the New York City subway are available at Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street

$2.50 pp with metro pass and a free transfer to the bus(buy the metropass for $5.00 and use it for both of you up to 4 people can use the same metropass).

and finally to EWR from NYC Penn Station or Newark, take NJ TRANSIT(less expensive) or Amtrak to Newark Liberty International Airport Station. It takes about five minutes to get from AirTrain to the train platforms and between seven and 11 minutes to get to your terminal, depending on the terminal. I think its about $12.00 pp

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tConnectionsTo

LGA by yellow cab is about 20 minutes from the Cruise terminal and $40 or so. JFK is about 45 minutes and about $70 and EWR by cab is about $80 and 45 minutes. per cab not per person..(these include tips and tolls).

Car services are about the same amount(a little less to to EWR)

There are other ways mass transit-particularly bus and shared van services ...