Smiths cove

NOLABEAUTY

Hi all,

Hubby, daughter (16) and I will be docked in GC in a couple of weeks. We would like to do our own thing and explore the island. We don't want to go to a crowded area like stingray city.

I read about Smiths Cove, The beach looks absolutely gorgeous. So my question is... Is it walking distance from the port? Is food available nearby? We want to spend a few hours at the beach, maybe do some snorkeling and eat some conch and fish, have a few drinks then walk back to the ship.

Any suggestions as far as food?

Can we rent snorkeling gear or should we bring our own? We don't mind the walk, we are in good shape and love to see the islands true beauty!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

walkable is a matter of opinion. distance is 1.5 miles from the main tender area. there are no sidewalks for much of this. But I've walked all over this area and if you use care, no problem

No food, or anything else, there except bathrooms. Sunset House and My Bar is about midway ... Eden Rock Dive Center and Paradise Rest' close to town but the same direction.

Sunset no longer allows rental gear "off property" but I believe you could rent from Eden

SmithCove_zps03b12717.jpg

walkable is a matter of opinion. distance is 1.5 miles from the main tender area. there are no sidewalks for much of this. But I've walked all over this area and if you use care, no problem

No food, or anything else, there except bathrooms. Sunset House and My Bar is about midway ... Eden Rock Dive Center and Paradise Rest' close to town but the same direction.

Sunset no longer allows rental gear "off property" but I believe you could rent from Eden

SmithCove_zps03b12717.jpg

Thanks Capt. I just emailed Eden Rock to see if they will allow us to take the gear off property.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bump!!! Anyone else?

Anyone else for what? What questions do you still have? A few more specifics will help... :confused:

The three restaurants mentioned are pretty much the only restaurants between the port and Smith Cove, as far as I can remember, although if you're at the newer terminal you also pass all of the restaurants in downtown George Town.

Grand Old House is along the way too .... but probably not the kind of place being sought in this case ... a wee bit upscale

No kidding. It's not really a "wet swimsuits, drop in for lunch" kind of establishment... ;) Good food, but not a casual lunch place...

Does the city bus go by Smith's Cove?

To me it looks like the green bus on route 6&7 would go past there. But, I may be reading the map all wrong.

not ignoring your question

I've never used the bus in Cayman so simply can't say

I seem to recall someone mentioning that the routes to the south of Sunset were a wee bit less reliable than the ones that went north of town ... but I can't produce a reference for that . . .

Thanks so much for the info so far - I am going to take my friends to smith cove next week. I plan to just take a cab to the beach but wonder - would love to take my friends to a great place for lunch after the beach - are there cabs available at the beach or should we make pre-arrangements?

And what restaurants nearby would be recommended for a nice view, good food, relaxed atmosphere and possible a/c?

• 4 weeks later...
Does the city bus go by Smith's Cove?

To me it looks like the green bus on route 6&7 would go past there. But, I may be reading the map all wrong.

I asked Sunset House about a bus a couple of years ago and they said there wasn't one. Apparently the routes that look like they go by there are so infrequent they just don't count on them.

We usually walk there from port and then hit My Bar for food. Ask them to call is a cab back if you don't feel like walking. The cab took about 20 minutes to arrive last time, be aware of time.

Also remember to bring a change of clothes if you plan to be in the water and then walk back to port. There is an outdoor shower at Smith Cove and you can change in the bathroom there. Moist salty legs and clothes and walking a mile don't go together well. Yeeeoch!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello,

We will be in Grand Cayman next week. We have been there many times on cruises and we also stayed a week at the Sunset House about 10 years ago. We usually walk to Eden Rock to snorkel . CDNJehn I read that you walked to Sunset House from port. I think that would be too long for us being in our 60's but it gave me an idea. Does the Sunset House let people not staying there use their property for the day? Do they charge? We loved staying at the Sunset House. It was in 2004 right after Hurricane Ivan did so much detraction to the island. Sunset House had all been just redone. I would love to spend a day there.

Thanks,

Marianne

Does the Sunset House let people not staying there use their property for the day? Do they charge?

Depends on what you mean by 'use their property'

Outside divers and snorkelers are always welcome, as are customers to My Bar. IME if buying from My Bar, the staff has always been cool about folks using the pool so long as there was no crowding issue which I've NEVER seen but is possible ... like during Pirate's Week or when Sunset is hosting a special dive event . . . they do not sell anything like a 'day pass'. They tend to get very little of the cruise crowd being SO FAR from town.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone comment on how much a cab to get here would be?

I think we paid around $10 for a cab. It's been a while though. I'm sure that I recall the cab from Smith Cove up to Seven Mile Beach being around $20. Smith Cove is easily walkable in about 30 minutes...but I know you've usually got a little one with you mitsugirly.

I think we paid around $10 for a cab. It's been a while though. I'm sure that I recall the cab from Smith Cove up to Seven Mile Beach being around $20. Smith Cove is easily walkable in about 30 minutes...but I know you've usually got a little one with you mitsugirly.

Is that $10 pp or for the entire cab no matter how many people? This time around we "may" have 2 little ones, one of which needs a leash :eek: and I would never trust him to walk on by the streets even if they have a sidewalk. :o

Is that $10 pp or for the entire cab no matter how many people? This time around we "may" have 2 little ones, one of which needs a leash :eek: and I would never trust him to walk on by the streets even if they have a sidewalk. :o

:eek: indeed!

It was a flat rate. There were 4 of us. The cabs are to the right of the port exit.

Been to Cayman on cruises several times, and love to snorkel. Which would you regulars rate as the best snorkel site?

Eden Rock

Smith Cove

Sunset House

Cemetery Beach

Other??

We have snorkeled Eden Rock and wreck of the Cali, and Coral Gardens after Stingray City.

Though I am not comfortable in deeper water (but my husband is), I have to say we saw the most at Eden Rock. We saw a sea turtle and a wide variety of fish, including a barracuda. I prefer Smith Cove because I like to be able to walk out into the water. I would rate Cemetary Beach 3rd. It is nice, but I prefer a beach with facilities. I think we saw less fish at Cemetary Beach than we did at Smith's Cove. I have not been to Sunset House.

There is a nice reef near the Burger King called Cheeseburger Reef. I'm sure that isn't a coincidence. You can access the water from the side of the Burger King that is away from town. I believe there is a dive business located next to it, or at least there used to be. My husband spent 2 hours out there the last time we were there. I spent 2 hours at Burger King because he said he wouldn't be gone long...I did get a nice ring, earring and necklace set out of the deal :)

We have snorkeled off the beach at Rum Point, but that is a good distance away from the pier. We have also snorkeled of the beach at East End, but again that is a good distance away from the pier.