Ideas for one day in Orlando or Canaveral area with 6yr old?

Cshgrand

We will be returning into Port Canaveral on RC Explorer on 23rd December. We will be carrying our luggage off early and have a hire car pre booked for the day. We need to be at Orlando International by 5pm to return our car and check in for our flight back to London.

Please help with some ideas of what to do for the day either around Canaveral or Orlando areas.

We are not really interested in the 'big' parks especially at this time of year as we are concerned about crowds that close to Christmas although Animal Kingdom is an outside possibility as is Legoland. As a rule, we like outdoor activities in more natural environment.

Thank you!

I was going to suggest Legoland which would not be crowded that day.

If that doesn't appeal, the Brevard Zoo or Central Florida Zoo just north or Orlando would work. Either can be seen in a day. Brevard Zoo is a short drive--maybe 20 minutes from the Port. Central Florida Zoo is about 75 minutes.

I haven't been to either, I have a friend who is a Zookeeper who has visited both and I can ask her opinion if you'd like. Both would be fun for 4-5 hours and perfect for a younger child. The three of you could pay admission and have lunch at either for the price of a single admission to Animal Kingdom.

Due to the potential for awful traffic, plan on 90 minutes from either to MCO.

Given OP's time requirements I would not recommend Legoland--probably 2 hour drive from the port with holiday traffic, very crowded and at least an hour (would definitely want to allow 90 minutes) to MCO.

I'd try to stick with something near the airport or to the east due to crowds & traffic. A beach day could be good, but it could be cold. The space center might be good.

The Florida Mall is pretty close to the airport (right along the Beachline). It's big with a small play area inside & restaurants. If you have time to kill in the afternoon it might be an option after something like the space center.

The airport itself has quite a few shops & restaurants outside security if you get there earlier than planned.

Thanks for the posts, all confirming what I had suspected - Orlando will not give us best value for our time this close to Christmas. We have ended up booking a hotel with a pool near Orlando Airport, it was $99 so I don't feel too bad about just getting a few hours use from the room. We really wanted to visit Canaveral Seashore but couldn't bear the thought of getting all sandy then hitting a transatlantic flight so we shall disembark, head into town for some breakfast, visit either the national park or Brevard Zoo and chill for the afternoon at the hotel. It has a heated pool so we are hoping to use that. Our bad weather back up is a movie at Florida Mall in the morning until we can check in to the hotel at 12.

Just to be sure, you booked a day room at the hotel, right? If it was a regular room you might not be able to get in until 3:00 pm.

Also there is no movie theater at the Florida Mall. Or Millenia for that matter. The closest theater to the airport is probably at the Loop, but don't hold me to that.

Thanks for the posts, all confirming what I had suspected - Orlando will not give us best value for our time this close to Christmas. We have ended up booking a hotel with a pool near Orlando Airport, it was $99 so I don't feel too bad about just getting a few hours use from the room. We really wanted to visit Canaveral Seashore but couldn't bear the thought of getting all sandy then hitting a transatlantic flight so we shall disembark, head into town for some breakfast, visit either the national park or Brevard Zoo and chill for the afternoon at the hotel. It has a heated pool so we are hoping to use that. Our bad weather back up is a movie at Florida Mall in the morning until we can check in to the hotel at 12.

That's not a bad rate - I just checked and the Hyatt Regency by the airport has day rooms available, but they are $113 or so - from 10am to 6pm.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks for the tip on the mall - just presumed there would be a cinema there. We have a regular room rate but contacted the hotel and we are welcome to use facilities from 12 and they are going to try to have room for us at that time but yes standard check is 2pm there.

Definitely check on a day rate for the Hyatt in the airport. They have a heated pool & are inside the airport (just go downstairs to security). You wouldn't have to worry about any traffic, hotel shuttles, etc.

There are theaters at Festival Bay Mall (not too far from airport) BUT beware that is in the heavy tourist area on International Drive. Any shopping area will be very busy that day.