Late flight home! What to do post cruise for fun in Ft Lauderdale.

Marciaab

Arriving back in Miami on 3/25 from the Glory. Have purchased transfers to Ft Lauderdale airport but our flight doesn't take off until 7 PM. Looking for suggestions as to what to do for the day and how to handle the luggage. Certainly don't want to stay in the airport and it seems like the excursions posted on Carnival website all start at so early. No need to rush for the last day of a vacation. I'm sure others have faced this dilemma and would welcome suggestions. Thanks!

We had a late flight out of FLL and ended up renting a car. There are free shuttles that will pick you right up at port and will bring you to the car rental offices. Then you can drop the car off at FLL. This way, you can do sightseeing on your own time, and you have a place to put your luggage (the truck). I think we paid somewhere around $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I second the rental car thing... u can storm your luggage mthe car... suggestions are the Everglades (Everglades holiday park is close and has nice airboat rides). Las Olas shopping dinner, catch the water taxi and for a few bucks ride around and oogle at the mansions and yachts. There are also some great museums, have lunch along the beach... then, when ur ready just drive yourselves to the airport and drop the car/luggage... cars would be about $35 or so for the day!

If you like baseball at all you could rent a car and head up to West Palm Beach. The Nationals and Astros play at 1:00pm that day and their new stadium is pretty nice. Hot Dogs and Cold drinks at the ball park beats the airport every time! It's only 45 minutes from the ball park to FLL if you are interested.

In any event I think the rental car is the way to go since that solves your luggage issue and gives you the freedom to enjoy your day. I used Avis from Miami downtown last time and the shuttle was quick and the cost was $30. For 2 of us, it was cheaper than the transfers that I looked at.

If you like baseball at all you could rent a car and head up to West Palm Beach. The Nationals and Astros play at 1:00pm that day and their new stadium is pretty nice. Hot Dogs and Cold drinks at the ball park beats the airport every time! It's only 45 minutes from the ball park to FLL if you are interested.

In any event I think the rental car is the way to go since that solves your luggage issue and gives you the freedom to enjoy your day. I used Avis from Miami downtown last time and the shuttle was quick and the cost was $30. For 2 of us, it was cheaper than the transfers that I looked at.

A little farther up I-95 the Cardinals and Marlins are playing at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter.

Should you not want to rent a car, there is baggage storage in each terminal: http://www.bagsbagtogo.net.

On weekends there is a free sun trolley route between the airport and downtown (check out the airport link on http://www.suntrolley.com). There you can connect with other routes where the cost is $1 ride/$3 day pass.

For things to do, check out http://www.sunny.org and http://www.lasolasboulevard.com. The most popular attraction (and means of transportation) is the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com).

• 2 weeks later...

We had a late flight out last month after a cruise from Port Everglades. This time around we rented a car and drove up to the Palm Beach Zoo for the day. It was about 45 minutes from the port and a fantastic way to spend the day (especially with kids). Not a huge zoo like Miami, but really well done and quite a interesting variety of animals (including Koalas). We are zoo people and try to visit area zoos wherever we travel. This one we were definitely impressed with!

Sun trolley did not work out for us. Too crowded at airport pickup and didn't want to wait for another hour. Used UBER and caught a ride to Las Olas Blvd. Found a nice place for lunch and a cold drink and spent a few hours just enjoying the beautiful day "people and car" watching. Then UBER back to the airport for our trip back to the frozen north. FYI, if you fly Jet Blue, they allow you to check your bags 8 hours before your flight at FLL. Solved that part of the problem.