What to do in Ft. Lauderdale the day we get back?

evawebrez

Our family of 6 is going on a Carnival cruise in June, out of Ft. Lauderdale. Our flight home on the day we return to port isn't until after 8:00pm. We had a similar situation after our last cruise so we did the Everglades excursion but we're not interested in doing that again. Any suggestions for what to do that day to kill time? My husband and I will have 4 young adults (ages17-20) with us so we dont want to just go to the airport and hang out all day. The fact that we'll have our luggage is the challenge. If it weren't for that we'd have no problem shopping, touring, whatever. I can't imagine we're the only ones who have ever faced this dilemma. Any advice??

For things to do, consult www.sunny.org and www.lasolasboulevard.com

For luggage storage at the airport, check out www.bagstogo.net in each terminal. Many cruise lines also offer a luggage valet program where, for a fee, your luggage is taken off the ship and you see it again at your home airport. I would check that out with your cruise line.

The most popular attraction in Fort Lauderdale is the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com). It provides both transportation and a tour of the intracoastal and New River. The houses and yachts are incredible. Some of the restaurants near water taxi stops also offer discounts (see the website).

Another means of transportation is the sun trolley (www.suntrolley.com) at $1/ride or $3/day pass. On the weekends there is a free sun trolley route between the airport and downtown (check out the airport link).

For things to do, consult www.sunny.org and www.lasolasboulevard.com

For luggage storage at the airport, check out www.bagstogo.net in each terminal. Many cruise lines also offer a luggage valet program where, for a fee, your luggage is taken off the ship and you see it again at your home airport. I would check that out with your cruise line.

The most popular attraction in Fort Lauderdale is the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com). It provides both transportation and a tour of the intracoastal and New River. The houses and yachts are incredible. Some of the restaurants near water taxi stops also offer discounts (see the website).

Another means of transportation is the sun trolley (www.suntrolley.com) at $1/ride or $3/day pass. On the weekends there is a free sun trolley route between the airport and downtown (check out the airport link).

Thanks!!

Agree on the watertaxi, but I would suggest taking the ride over to Hollywood Beach to the Broadwalk, and Margaritaville, your young adults would probably enjoy that better. And you can often find WaterTaxi discounted on Groupon, there's one on there now.

Thanks!!

Visit Hugh Taylor State Park, or rent bikes for the day and bike all over, or visit the Bonnet House Museum. We have done all of these on days in Fort Lauderdale waiting for our flight back home.

Make sure to eat lunch at Gilbert's 17th Street Grill! Awesome food and a friendly place not far from the port.

We may rent a car this time and go to the Flamingo Gardens, which is just west of the city.

Have fun!