Advice on Delta Connection at JFK To Quebec

biojeep

Delta has a flight to Quebec with only a 55 minute layover at JFK. We would be arriving on a domestic flight from New Orleans at I think is terminal 2 & next flight is would be terminal 4. Have never flown to JFK so I would like some input as to whether this is doable. We normally would not consider a flight with such a short layover but this flight is significantly cheaper than all others.

Not sure what to tell you. You'll have to take the jitney from T2 to T4. If memory serves, the jitney makes 2 stops at T4, but that terminal is so long that even if you look at the terminal map and decide which end to get off at, you could still end up with quite a hike to your gate. You don't have a lot of wiggle room for any delay more of more than a few minutes, and keep in mind that the boarding door may close 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time so that the passenger manifest can be finalized. Personally, that would probably be too close for comfort for me, but it would depend on many additional flights there were that might get me to Quebec if I missed the connection. (That, of course, assumes there is availability on a later flight, something that is impossible to know prior to booking.)

Delta - Quebec with only a 55 minute layover at JFK - from New Orleans (T2 to T4) so I would like some input as to whether this is doable ... significantly cheaper than all others.
Assuming this is a DL/partner "legal" connection on a single ticket, you are protected in case of a mis-connect, if there's a later, same day flight with seating availability, as you should be automatically rebooked.

Check the flight's historical on-time arrival/departure records - are both segments on mainline jets or JFK to Quebec on smaller regional or turbo-jet, as overhead luggage space would be tight & you must gate-check anything biggeer than a small backpack, unless you can fly with a small, round duffle bag or fit items under the seat in front of you.

You will not need to clear TSA again & the airside shuttle will go back-n-forth between T2 and T4 with stops, but that can sometimes mean a 15 to 20 minutes wait if you just missed it doing the loop. Boarding typical start T minue 30 minutes and you are further at risk of losing your seat assignment on a full flight with standby ... that all GA are eager to get out, bumping you to a later flight, as long as you are OK with that - while saving money on your booked tickets, as long as you will get home on the same day.

As for gates assigned & used at T2 and T4 relative to the intra-terminal airside shuttle, check it out on one of the flight tracking sites online, regional jets typically share the use of a handful of gates, usually close to the terminal/security area for quicker access by "commuters" but a last minute gate change for the other flight could leave you doing the 400 yards dash to the goal line.

Good news is that all the terminals at JFK now has free WiFi and T4 has very good airside services, including food court, at your typical airport prices - and, if you have lounge/club access, it's not too bad to spend several hours waiting for your next flight in catching up to get home.

The airside jitney goes from T2 Gate C60 (lowest numbered gate in T2) to T4 Gate B18 or all the way at the end of concourse B to gate B55. It does a loop, usually C60 to B18 to B55 to C60. No published schedule that I could ever find.

Between the two B gates is a very long walk, there are moving sidewalks but they are intermittent, no moving sidewalks when you have concourse eateries and shops, only when passing the gates.

There is also a central service area in T4 between A and B concourses (Delta hardly ever uses Concourse A) as well as along the B Concourse. Several Bars, you also have from two Shake Shacks or Buffalo Wild Wings to McDonalds or Panda Express and everything in between.