Quick 5 Mile Jog in Costa Maya?

elliotoakley

I am a runner, I log about 30 miles per week. By the time my ship gets to Costa Maya it will be the 4th stop and quite frankly I know Costa Maya is a beach-town. Uinless you like shopping or sitting on the beach then there just aint anything to do! And before you comment on this I like extreme adventure stuff, I don't really care for looking at ruins.

I don’t care about shopping, and living in Florida I get plenty of sun and “beach” at our clean, safe, and relaxing Water Parks (Typhoon Lagoon kicks butt!).

I am looking for advice on anywhere I might log a quick and easy 5 mile run? It could be less but 5 miles is pretty short to begin with. Does anyone know of a safe route or way to go?

I know I can take a taxi from the cruise port to the beach, is this a route that involves a sidewalk that I could run on?

I am a runner, I log about 30 miles per week. By the time my ship gets to Costa Maya it will be the 4th stop and quite frankly I know Costa Maya is a beach-town. Uinless you like shopping or sitting on the beach then there just aint anything to do! And before you comment on this I like extreme adventure stuff, I don't really care for looking at ruins.

I don’t care about shopping, and living in Florida I get plenty of sun and “beach” at our clean, safe, and relaxing Water Parks (Typhoon Lagoon kicks butt!).

I am looking for advice on anywhere I might log a quick and easy 5 mile run? It could be less but 5 miles is pretty short to begin with. Does anyone know of a safe route or way to go?

I know I can take a taxi from the cruise port to the beach, is this a route that involves a sidewalk that I could run on?

You could run to Mahahual. I have walked this route once before which took about 30 minutes to the lighthouse. In the small town of Mahahual there is a broadwalk which you could also run on.

http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/Mahajual_Maps.html

Edited by thescot123

When you come out of the cruise center, there was a gated entrance to your left that leads to an undeveloped road/area along the coast tot he lighthouse and the "beach" on the north side. Not sure if they've opened that up or not as some of th earea is under military/police jurisdiction. But go on out a block or two to Avenida Caribe, and take that left, it'll bring you out to the Mahahual highway a little east of where the main traffic goes so should be reasonably traffic free (butcontinuing construction may be the key to traffic along Ave Caribe) relative to the main drags in and out of Nuevo Mahahual Along Paseo del Puerto. That's around a mile +/- in distance. Hook a left at the main highway and continue down to the lighthouse or cross through the Pemex station and you'll hit the malecon that' about another mile or so, but you should be able to hang along th shore for as far as you'd like to go. There's no water along the route unless you buy some at one of the beach resorts. There's a convenience/liquor store one block inland at Sierra. So bring water with you. Obviously you'll need to bring your id as well.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get that run in on Costa Maya and what was it like?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am thinking of doing this. I always do jogging/walking of 6 miles round no problem.

Is it safe? Do I have to walk on the side of the road?

I hope they dont super charge me just bc I am a tourist. I always remember this!

I use Google map and you can do Street View and move along the road from the port to Mahahual and feel like you are there.

There are no trees on the path. It is not a tourist place.

I am still debating. If I go with group of people running yes. At least daylight bring some comfort.

Edited by chong67

• 2 weeks later...