Decisions!

karinad

We usually cruise once a year between Sept and Nov. Last year we went on a Caribbean Cruise on the Gem from NY. It was convenient because we didn't have to fly. I really wanted to go to Europe because it was out 40th anniversary, but we didn't see any good deals. Last month I seen a good deal for the NCL Epic for April, 2016, so I booked it, but we have a 11 months to wait for it.

I have a FCC with Princess that I'd like to use, but the only cruise I seen with them that I love is a TA in Sept. and it returns to NYC, so flights only needed one way. The price is way to high yet, but it does seem to be dropping a little. but not enough. I don't want to put the deposit on it because I'm sure final payment will be coming up soon. I'm hoping that people that are holding cabins will drop out and maybe the price will, too. I did check airfare to Copenhagen and so far it looks good, but.......things change.

In the meantime, CCL had a great price on a 10 day Caribbean cruise and I couldn't resist the price of $140./2 in a balcony. This is in Oct. and final payment is the end of July. I'm checking airfare for that and availability doesn't look great, so now I'm second guessing myself and thinking that if I make final payment on that in July and the TA cruise that I love drops the fares I'm SOL and would be going on a cruise that we were on these islands, but the price was great and we'd be on a cruise! Then I start thinking that no matter how cheap it is, it's still costing money and the aggravation of flying!

Sorry I'm rambling on and thinking out loud, but my dh is snoring beside me and couldn't care less about where we go! I'm sure that there are many here that go through the same thing. Cruising is what we put our money for entertainment and cut corners elsewhere to be able to go.

What would you do?:confused:

Westbound Transatlantic cruises often sell out early and are less likely to be discounted than eastbound ones. They attract more UK and European cruisers as early Autumn is a much more preferred vacation time for them than mid-Spring when the eastbound ones run. US cruisers often fly ahead to Europe and use the TA to return from a land holiday--or they book the final European cruise before the TA as a B2B. The timings and itineraries of the Fall Westbound sailings is more varied thus appealing to more people. And who wouldn't prefer five or six 25 hour days over 23 hour ones.

Your strategy of watching for cabins to reopen after final payment date is workable, but you want to jump on the first one you find preferable rather than wait for a deal that may or may not ever come.

Going on the Venice/Greek Isles cruise on NCL with another couple for our 40th anniversary and their 35th anniversary in September of 2016. We decided to share a 2 bedroom suite (3rd and 4th person sailed free). With the perks, OBC, UBP, UDP, and prepaid gratuities for 2 of us. It seemed like a good price. It is the cost of the flights to Venice that are terrible, cost almost as much per person as the cruise. We are 16 months out, so hoping for a price drop for the flights.

It is the cost of the flights to Venice that are terrible, cost almost as much per person as the cruise. We are 16 months out, so hoping for a price drop for the flights.

Most airlines open their schedules about 331 days out. You can't even get a price for flights that are 16 months from now. Although the prices this year aren't an accurate predictor for next year, there are many great airfares, under $800 RT from LAX-VCE in Sept 2015.

If you can find anything under $1000, west coast to Venice, it's a pretty good price.

The problem with seeking best price is that closer to the date there are cruises where prices plummet :) - but the air fares tend to go in the opposite direction, minimising or nullifying the savings :(.

My experience has been that the only way to get a significant overall saving on a late-booked cruise is one which involve no flights or perhaps short-haul flights.

With the example of a one-way transAtlantic I suspect it's a throw of the dice.

Just MHO

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yes, I know, it's all a game of hit or miss! I am usually one to book early and know what my plans are so I have something to look forward to. I'm not seeing a lot of cruise lines that the price, especially Europe, is cheaper when they first come out. I've really noticed it with Princess, because I did have this FCC to put somewhere.

It isn't a fair thing to punish people who booked early and reward the ones that are just waiting for the cheapest price. That's the name of the game and we're all players!

I think that when my final payment is due for the SJ cruise I'll probably cancel and wait a few more weeks if the TA doesn't drop before that to a comfortable fare. We always have the choice to cruise out of NY, Baltimore or N.J. if a cheap fare becomes available at the last minute. We never did that yet with the home ports. We always planned more then 6 months in advance.

Going on the Venice/Greek Isles cruise on NCL with another couple for our 40th anniversary and their 35th anniversary in September of 2016. We decided to share a 2 bedroom suite (3rd and 4th person sailed free). With the perks, OBC, UBP, UDP, and prepaid gratuities for 2 of us. It seemed like a good price. It is the cost of the flights to Venice that are terrible, cost almost as much per person as the cruise. We are 16 months out, so hoping for a price drop for the flights.

gwsster, We had the same issue. We flew into Rome for half the price of a flight to Venice, spent 1.5 days and one night in Rome. Day 2, took a late afternoon train to Venice and stayed at a Best Western that was right across the street from the train station at the stop before Venice. I think it is called Venice Maestre. (We rolled in at about 9:30). The hotel was very inexpensive compared to Venice and we took a land taxi to the ship early the next day, rather than expensive water taxis. Dropped off our bags and had an extra half day in Venice. Good luck and enjoy the cruise.