Help Choosing Vancouver Hotel

We will be staying in Vancouver for 3 nights from Monday 11th July and are having difficulty choosing which hotel to stay in!! Our current choices are Sheraton Wall Centre or Hampton Inn. Can anybody help us make the choice? We will be travelling with our 9 year old son. We will have a hire car with us but don't plan to use it when in Vancouver.

Thanks for your help.

My favorite hotel while in Vancouver has to be the Westin Bayshore Hotel located on the bay. The Tower rooms especially. This is also a Starwood property as is the Sheraton Wall Center. You get to watch all of the action in the harbor and it is on the ocean boardwalk that leads to the cruiseship terminal or to Stanley Park in the opposite direction which is walkable with your son if you have a stroller along. It's also located across the street from a bike rental if you and your spouse are so inclined and perhaps they also rent trykes for kids but I also think they do have bike rentals with the child seats attached. A phone call to them once you get there would do........the concierge would have their phone number. There is a lovely waterfront outdoor pool that is operational during the warmer months. If you wish to go into downtown to do some shopping at the Pacific Centre then they also have a complimentary shuttle from the front door with return pickup. This is always my choice of hotel when staying for leisure. If you wish to stay right within the Pacific Centre and be just steps away from the shopping mall then the Four Seasons Hotel is connected to it. Another downtown place close to the shopping is the fabulous Fairmont Hotel Vancouver..........great rooms, great service and a little history. Not a far walk away either from the Pacific Centre. All that being said, if your only choice is between the Sheraton Wall Centre and the Hampton Inn.............go with the Sheraton..........it's a much, much nicer hotel.

IMO - the best is the Vancouver Pan Pacific. Get a waterfront room. Right on the water - great views, wonderful rooms - easy walking to most all downtown areas - Gastown, CBD, great restaurants, shopping - you name it. If you want to do excursions (many tours depart the hotel location), etc., all that can be easily arranged through the hotel or - on-line. Do yourself a favor - at least check it out. We were also undecided where to stay - we stayed 3 nights last July & are glad we chose the Pan Pacific. BTW - if you are an Enterainment Card Member rates are 50% off rack with proper ID. Hope this help. SeaFish

IMO - the best is the Vancouver Pan Pacific. Get a waterfront room. Right on the water - great views, wonderful rooms - easy walking to most all downtown areas - Gastown, CBD, great restaurants, shopping - you name it. If you want to do excursions (many tours depart the hotel location), etc., all that can be easily arranged through the hotel or - on-line. Do yourself a favor - at least check it out. We were also undecided where to stay - we stayed 3 nights last July & are glad we chose the Pan Pacific. BTW - if you are an Enterainment Card Member rates are 50% off rack with proper ID. Hope this help. SeaFish

I've stayed at the Vancouver Pan Pacific a few years back. It's a very nice hotel located right along the waterfront. I'm going to Vancouver in May and checked prices, and they were VERY, VERY expensive. If you can't get a discount in some form or another, be prepared for very high rates.

I booked at the Le Soleil Hotel, as I'd heard nice things about it, and a few Vancouver residents on this board confirmed that for me. It's an upscale boutique type hotel, and I believe it's owned by Sheraton.

You might want to check their prices.

MTS

I would also suggest the Sutton Place hotel. It does not have the sweeping water views but it is right on the corner of Robson and Burrard where there are lots of restaurants/shopping etc. They also have a chocoholics buffet. Right next to them is a grocery store IGA marketplace and there are brand new movie theatres opening soon across the street. wendy

We used Hotwire and were able to get the Sheraton Wall Center for $94 per night. This was the first time I used Hotwire and I just started using Priceline.

If you have not used it, use Grouchy's recommendation and check out betterbidding.com. It opened my on how to use these wonderful travel tools and how not to over pay.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We have now (more or less) made up our mind to stay in the Holiday Inn in North Vancouver. This will allow us easy access to the ferry for Vancouver Island (We're spending a few days there before returning to Seattle) and also a quicker route to Whistler which is an option for one of our days in Vancouver. Not quite what we started out with as an option but we've spent days tring to decide on the "perfect" location for us.

Way to go budgetED! Great price on the Wall Center. It is amazing how good a deal you can get with these web services. I knew I should have waited till it was closer to the needed dates to make my bid. It is a challenge to know when to make a bid, since you need a long lead time to make airplane reservations and a short lead time for the hotwire and priceline bids. Of course, you always risk not being able to get a room if you wait too long.

MVP- I'm actually not cruising til late September. I too was surprised at a price like that for the hotel. I read posts on betterbidding and figured with the amenity descriptions and 4* rating Hotwire gave, I would be getting either the Sheraton Wall Centre or the Hyatt Regency. Couldn't go wrong either way.

Does anybody know if I rent a car at YVR, is there a rental company that would allow me to return it to/near the cruise terminal? Where would that return site be? do they offer free transportation to the terminal?

Thanks ...... these boards are not only a wealth of information, but are a great moneysaver!

All major car rental companies have a kiosk at Canada Place - they will likely have you drop the rental at one of there downtown depots and then shuttle you to Canada place or you could drop your luggage off at the pier, take the rental back to the depot and walk a few blocks in the beautiful fresh air and gorgeous sights to Canada Place - just tell the rental people at YVR that you want the closest depot to Canada place.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived