Adding It Up (Cancelled Sensation)

JoeTN

So, upon hearing that I no longer have a cruise to go on this October, I've been adding things up, and it's starting to get pretty expensive. So, I'm hoping some people might have some advice, for me and others who still want to vacation..

My vacation time is set in stone, I can not take vacation and prolly get a week off in 5-6 months, but, other then that, it's now or never.

Booking another cruise in the time frame (allowing for a few days give or take) is going to cost several hundread more dollars, even with my $100 credit.

I can change my flight destination for a small fee, but my ticket itself is non-refundable, so, if I don't fly somewhere, I'm out $200 bucks.

I really think Carnival handled this poorly, they should've offered us other options to sail in the time frame, they're getting a nice check for $250 million dollars, you'd think they would transfer us to other ships without making us pay the difference (which, this close to sail date, and with the options only being bigger better ships, is literally hundreads of dollars, especially when I initially gotta resident discount).

So..any advice ? Everyone I've talked to has pretty much said I'm SOL, and just count my losses on the airlines, and plan a vacation for next year...

Joe, have you checked on other lines around the same time frame? If they are sold out, get on a waiting list... Have you called Carnival to see what other ships might be able to accomodate?? If your flight was into NOLA, you shouldn't be charged to switch your flight... who are you booked with? I know you want to cruise, but maybe you could do a land vacation? Also, we have a group cruise at the end of October on the Valor... I would be happy to see if there is anyone looking for a roommate or a 3rd person... I don't know what to tell you, I know you are disappointed, but there has to be something out there :(

Joe, have you checked on other lines around the same time frame? If they are sold out, get on a waiting list... Have you called Carnival to see what other ships might be able to accomodate?? If your flight was into NOLA, you shouldn't be charged to switch your flight... who are you booked with? I know you want to cruise, but maybe you could do a land vacation? Also, we have a group cruise at the end of October on the Valor... I would be happy to see if there is anyone looking for a roommate or a 3rd person... I don't know what to tell you, I know you are disappointed, but there has to be something out there :(

It's not the sellout thats a problem, its the money. Carnival's pretty much the cheapest, and i'm looking at $200+ to book in the same time frame. I may have to look into the roommate avenue.

It's not the sellout thats a problem, its the money. Carnival's pretty much the cheapest, and i'm looking at $200+ to book in the same time frame. I may have to look into the roommate avenue.

Joe, you qualify for the military discount right??? Did the price you booked include that??

According to the OP, he HAS checked out all available options - all of which would cost him more than he has already paid and is not doable........and he can't change his vacation. I feel for him! Personally in this situation, I think Carnival should pay for his lost air fare! THEY are the ones who cancelled, not him. Carnival wants to be a great corporate citizen, then they need to also help those who they have displaced and will be out their own hard-earned money. And that is not being self-centered, that is being realistic and a good PR move also.

According to the OP, he HAS checked out all available options - all of which would cost him more than he has already paid and is not doable........and he can't change his vacation. I feel for him! Personally in this situation, I think Carnival should pay for his lost air fare! THEY are the ones who cancelled, not him. Carnival wants to be a great corporate citizen, then they need to also help those who they have displaced and will be out their own hard-earned money. And that is not being self-centered, that is being realistic and a good PR move also.

And your advice is??? Since that is what he asked for...

After my mini rant was posted, I wonder if the OP could completely cancel his cruise and forget about the $100 obc....he should be able to cancel completely without penalty, if Carnival is being fair about this.......and then rebook on RCCL for a 3 or 4 day cruise or do a back to back (for 7 days total) out of Miami or Port Canaveral? May get some of the same ports, but it would be a 7 day trip........but I guess this would depend on how quickly Carnival will refund his money! If they decide to hold on to it for a few weeks (and still earn the interest on it...which is a shame!) then maybe the OP really is stuck.

Airlines shouldnt charge a change fee, since no flights can go in or out of Nola. Im wondering if the OP called the airline.

After my mini rant was posted, I wonder if the OP could completely cancel his cruise and forget about the $100 obc....he should be able to cancel completely without penalty, if Carnival is being fair about this.......and then rebook on RCCL for a 3 or 4 day cruise or do a back to back (for 7 days total) out of Miami or Port Canaveral? May get some of the same ports, but it would be a 7 day trip........

That is a good idea, which is why I was asking if he had looked at other cruise lines... RCL has shorter cruises for less than Carnival... Carnival will let him cancel without penalty and a full refund, but it's going to take a couple of weeks to get the refund :(

The Sensation wouldn't have been a 7 day cruise...

Hmmmm.... I wonder how this would be handled under travel insurance.

I know it sucks that you have a vacation planned out for months, and now they cancel it out from under you. In a worst case scenario, you get a full refund. Consider yourself lucky. The folks who are in the areas affected by the hurricane are in sadder shape. They didn't get much notice.

Be nice, and start dialing away. Everything is negotiable. I would talk with Carnival and see about an alternative cruise at the same price. I would also contact the airline and ask to speak with a supervisor about your "no refund" tickets. Remember, noone expected this hurricane two weeks ago.

I hope you get a lot of great advice. I hope you purchased insurance, because that seems like the first place to start.

But imagine if you lost, not only your cruise and air fees, but everything in your life. Every picture, every piece of clothing, every memory, every possession.

Add that up.

The 257m includes a ferry, but besides that. Carnival is not making a profit. Do the math. Six months, three ships, ships usually sail full nowadays, revenue from rooms, gambling, booze, shops, photos, coffee (seriously), shore excursions, etc.

You could consider your costs a donation to Katrina refugees. I'm sure you've already donated... but, it doesn't suck to be you.

Joe, call Carnival.....its sad to say but the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The more you call and say hey, this is what you have done to me and my plans, how are you going to fix it, the more likely they are to do something about it. Don't let them tell you that they can give you money back, tell them you want another cruise at about the same time as your orginal for the same price....if you push hard enough more than likely you will get a satisfactory answer.

ok, bit of an update, and a few answers

my flights through southwest, and from what I've heard, I can transfer the flight for free or a tiny fee, which is fine.

I called Carnival, and theres four sailings on the same date, Elation, Fascination, Celebration and Paradise out of various ports, all 4 or 5 days (either would be fine, I just need the vacation).

Thier systems are done, so he wasen't able to look at pricing, but he said the $100 credit is definate, and he said they are making no adjustments to fares to get people on other boats, I have to pay the full difference. Now, I work in retail and customer service, so I know how to get beyond that, it'll just depend weather they've issued a blanket policy of "no adjustments", or, if its "give them what they want if they whine and complain enough" (I'm hoping its the latter).

All in all, I can prolly afford a total of $300 dollars between airfare and getting on a different ship, keeping in mind I'm paying my fees for sailing solo.

(Just FYI, my parents are sailing with me in thier own cabin, and they're previous carnival cruisers, so were hoping that'll help get them something)

I'll post an update tomorrow if I can get any progress, any more advice is gladly accepted.

Joe, I did a little comparison shopping within your time frame for sailing. I know that sailing solo can get expensive so I understand your concern in trying to fit the vacation into your comfort level. I will assume that you wish to stay with Carnival to receive the onboard credit. I know you said you have air on Southwest, so I took into consideration where SW flies and did some research to see what options you might have. I would definitely call SW and see if they would eliminate the change fees for switching departure cities, too. I typed up a list of numerous options, but I don't think I can post it here. If you wish to see it, let me know and I will send it to in email. In the meantime, here is what I would consider:

MIAMI: (You can fly into Ft. Lauderdale and take the shuttle bus to and from Miami for about $20 each way.)

Fascination:**

10/28 3 nights Nassau

10/31 4 nights Key West, Cozumel

11/4 3 night Nassau

You could combine a back to back cruise to get in a 7 day voyage for a good price.

OR

Victory:**

10/30 7 nights Miami, San Juan, St. Marteen, St. Thomas

A decent rate for great ports.

Good luck!

you are always sooooo nice!!:D

Joe, first off, it's great you have Southwest!!! They have really ponied up! You can get a full refund on your flight!!!! http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/wx_advisory.htmlSo, you wouldn't be out that money if you can't find another cruise suitable... I know that you want to cruise, but at least you won't be out that $200. I truly hope you find something... good luck and keep us posted!!

Joe, I can tell you there is NO wiggle room on the pricing for other Carnival cruises. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday trying to get on the Conquest since our Sensation cruise was cancelled - even knowing I am from New Orleans and have evacuated and can't return home for goodness knows how long, they weren't able to do anything about the price. With that being the case, I don't see them lowering the price for people NOT from New Orleans. Sorry to have to tell you that, but I waited on hold for two hours to get the bad news, and I don't want you to waste your time and get more frustrated. I hope you can make other plans and have a great vacation, even if it's one on land instead of at sea.

Joe, I can tell you there is NO wiggle room on the pricing for other Carnival cruises. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday trying to get on the Conquest since our Sensation cruise was cancelled - even knowing I am from New Orleans and have evacuated and can't return home for goodness knows how long, they weren't able to do anything about the price. With that being the case, I don't see them lowering the price for people NOT from New Orleans. Sorry to have to tell you that, but I waited on hold for two hours to get the bad news, and I don't want you to waste your time and get more frustrated. I hope you can make other plans and have a great vacation, even if it's one on land instead of at sea.

Rowann555- This is VERY disheartening to hear. I know many people are "commending" Carnival for their "act of kindness" but the truth is, they weren't given a choice...the government directed them, and are also paying them VERY well for their services. It is very upsetting to hear the way you were treated. I know you weren't complaining....posting to help another fellow cruiser, which was very thoughtful of you. I read your post on Cotton's thread, and I so hoped you would decide to try to book another cruise, as I am sure you are suffering post tramatic stress. I am disgusted by Carnival's lack of compassion for you....again, I know you weren't venting...I guess I am. Best wishes to you.

Marie

ok, bit of an update, and a few answers

All in all, I can prolly afford a total of $300 dollars between airfare and getting on a different ship, keeping in mind I'm paying my fees for sailing solo

Out of the goodness of my heart, & because I'm such a nice person ;) ,I'll offer to sail with you! Keep in mind just to help with your expenses, it's the least I could do :rolleyes: ! You are to cute, hope everything works out.

my cruise was supposed to leave tomorrow. My husband will loose his vacation if we don't take it now, I can't reschedule my vacation time b/c everyone at work is going on vaction in the next 3 weeks. I am totally bummed. We were finally able to book a land vacation ALL INCLUSIVE but it is costing us an extra $900. I also had to bride people at work to switch schedules w/ me b/c it is going to run into next week when normally I would be returning. In retrospec we probably would of spent that much w/tips, parking, gas, and extras at the ports anyways. HOWEVER I believe CARNIVAL handled this badly!!!! Yes I feel sorry for NO/MS, but I can't put my life on hold forever!! The best of luck to you Joe. Neither my husband or I have ever been on a cruise and this was for our honeymoon. And after this it doesn't look like we will ever get to go on one.

Nichole

Archived