Amtrak Memphis to Nola Info

SardisGrandma

I'm going on the Carnival Dream in August departing from Nola. I've never been on a train before and have a lot of questions Ex: are there any rolling luggage racks at train station to load my luggage on at the curb to carry inside at Memphis and at nola so I can get it outside? Are there taxis at the station at nola? Anyone have any idea approx cost for taxi from nola train station to doubletree hotel? the hotel is across street from Harrahs in the french quarter. Is the dining car on train open all the time or just certain times? Can I get a glass of wine on the train? Any other info or pics appreciated I'm excited about riding the train. Almost as much as the cruise.

• 1 month later...

We did the train from Memphis a couple of years ago. There are taxis at the train terminal and we paid 11 dollars to the Hampton Inn downtown. There was plenty of luggage space but the food onboard was expensive. The only negative thing was getting off the ship around 8 am and the train did not leave until 145pm, hope this helps

The ride from Memphis to New Orleans is phenominal as is the food in the dining car. We also stayed at the Doubletree also and the cab fare was $15 for 4 of us. It was an easy walk to Bourbon St. and also to Cafe Du Monde.

• 1 month later...

Remember that you are not restricted on liquids on the train. You can bring your own food and drink onboard. When travelling by train I was always traveling by myself and didn't like having to haul my valuables all the way to the dining car so I would always pack a meal. Memphis to NOLA is only 9 hours and departs at 7am with an arrival at 3pm. You can easily pack a pastry/bagel, piece of fruit and bottled water for breakfast then have a lunch of something easy like a sandwich on pita with a side of chips and a banana. You could also just eat a light snack lunch (crackers, cheese, grapes) and plan on going out for an early dinner in NOLA where you will have a ton of options for food and drink.

As far as wine, the official policy is you aren't supposed to consume your personal alcohol on the train, but I can assure you I was not the only one breaking this rule. I stop and get those wine singles at the grocery store (Wal-Mart sells them for a $1 per bottle) and tucked a few in my bag. Just pour into a plastic cup and you are good to go. :D A wine from the bar car will be the same quality but will cost you $5.25 plus tip.

Any wine minis left can be used for your "go-cup" once in town. New Orleans has no open container law and allows people to carry alcohol in the street as long as it is in a plastic cup. So if you plan on strolling that evening, pour yourself a go-cup before leaving the hotel.