Pride of America - looking for answers

hc2468

Hello all,

We're planning a family vacation on Pride of America in May 2015 and my previous cruise experiences are balcony cabins on Princess and Holland America. From what I've read, I'm expecting a few differences, but nothing major. Since the message boards are SO helpful, I would love a better idea of what to expect so I can prepare in advance. If you have cruised on Pride of America previously, could you tell me:

• Mid-ship balcony or Aft balcony (deck 9)? Are there really noticeable vibrations in the Aft rooms? Is the motion more noticeable?
  • I can't find any information about purchasing beer or spirits for the room in advance. For example, purchasing a bottle of vodka or 6 pack of beer for the room. Can you do it?
  • Can I pack juice in my suitcase and bring it on board? I'm traveling with two small kids (5 and 3) and they don't drink soda. Can I bring juice in the suitcase or snacks for the room like crackers or gummy fruit snacks? I didn't see anything about juices offered at dinners - only sodas and I didn't find anything on the NCL site.
  • How do you suggest keeping your room key handy? Can you recommend a useful lanyard or carry bag?
  • If anyone has been on this ship with small children, I'd love to talk with you to get your helpful hints and suggestions (kids club, excisions with kids, easy access beaches from the port).

Thank you all so much! Looking forward to an amazing vacation with friends and family!

• 10 months later...

You can certainly bring the prepackaged snacks....many do.

I carry a small purse for tissues, lipstick, etc....(you'll need something for those snacks, and tissues, with kids, too!)...just stick your room key in there! No different than a hotel!

Due to Hawaiian state liquor laws (the ship never really leaves the state), no beverage packages (unlimited drinks) or room set ups are allowed. Hawaiian state sales tax will be added to any purchase onboard in port and until 2 miles offshore.

Creauxman - we'll be on the POA the same week! Getting excited and somewhat anxious to finish our plans for each port. 22 days to go!

hc2468 - I too can let you know what I think. We will be in an aft cabin on deck 9. We've not taken this cruise, but on several others we try to get aft if possible. Always been happy with that view and location. I'm hopeful I'll have a chance to write a review when we return.

I was curious about what excursions if any you had selected. I've read every opinion and write up I could find on each stop and we've selected a few!

I'm probably behind the ball somewhat! Planning for Hawaii has been a bit more time consuming than other places of travel..So far, we have a hotel for the Friday night we arrive into Honolulu. As for Maui, we will be renting a jeep and probably doing the Road to Hana the first day. Second day in Maui, more than likely we'll drive to Haleakala crater for the sunrise and the remaining of the day I'm not yet sure. Haven't decided anything for Hilo or Kona, although I'm susupecting we'll want to do the Volcano National Park in Hilo...not sure if it's worthwhile to retn vehicles in those two ports? Kauai I haven't even gotten to yet..We'll be stying in Oahu on Waikiki beach after the cruise is over for a few days. Pearl Harbor that day we disembark and probably a luau on Oahu versus Maui or Kauai (due to timing). Can't decide on that either!!! What about you?

I'm probably behind the ball somewhat! Planning for Hawaii has been a bit more time consuming than other places of travel..So far, we have a hotel for the Friday night we arrive into Honolulu. As for Maui, we will be renting a jeep and probably doing the Road to Hana the first day. Second day in Maui, more than likely we'll drive to Haleakala crater for the sunrise and the remaining of the day I'm not yet sure. Haven't decided anything for Hilo or Kona, although I'm susupecting we'll want to do the Volcano National Park in Hilo...not sure if it's worthwhile to retn vehicles in those two ports? Kauai I haven't even gotten to yet..We'll be stying in Oahu on Waikiki beach after the cruise is over for a few days. Pearl Harbor that day we disembark and probably a luau on Oahu versus Maui or Kauai (due to timing). Can't decide on that either!!! What about you?

We will also arrive in Oahu on Friday afternoon. We've made no plans for Friday night but hopefully we'll use the time to help get over the jet lag. My cousin visits Hawaii nearly every year but has never cruised around them before. He recommends the Old Lahania Luau on Maui. We've reserved a rent car and we plan to drive there from the cruise ship on Sunday afternoon (about 25 miles)...the luau begins at 6p, I think. We are picking up the car Sunday morning but we haven't planned anything before the luau. I suppose we'll figure something out between now and then. I did some research concerning other cruise ships that might be there at the same time we are. There will be two other ships visiting Maui while we are there but both will be at Lahania rather than our location. The Ruby Princess and the Grand Princess will be there...one on Sunday and the other on Monday but I don't recall which ship on which day. Doesn't matter which, I guess, but the bottom line is Lahania may be more crowded than usual both days as well as other touristy places on the island. The good news is that I didn't find any other ships scheduled at any of our other stops for the rest of the cruise. Anyway, we plan a beach trip on Monday morning before we set sail for Hilo.

On Hilo, we plan to take the Volcano and Akaka Falls excursion offered by NCL. The excursion was originally titled Rainbow Falls but I read somewhere that due to some construction we go to Akaka Falls instead. The next day in Kona we plan another beach day.

On Kauai we are taking the Na Pali Explorer excursion the first day and we'll just do a bit of shopping the second day there as the ship leaves at 2p.

Our plane doesn't leave until 7p for the flight back to Houston so we are going to Pearl Harbor after we disembark.

We will also arrive in Oahu on Friday afternoon. We've made no plans for Friday night but hopefully we'll use the time to help get over the jet lag. My cousin visits Hawaii nearly every year but has never cruised around them before. He recommends the Old Lahania Luau on Maui. We've reserved a rent car and we plan to drive there from the cruise ship on Sunday afternoon (about 25 miles)...the luau begins at 6p, I think. We are picking up the car Sunday morning but we haven't planned anything before the luau. I suppose we'll figure something out between now and then. I did some research concerning other cruise ships that might be there at the same time we are. There will be two other ships visiting Maui while we are there but both will be at Lahania rather than our location. The Ruby Princess and the Grand Princess will be there...one on Sunday and the other on Monday but I don't recall which ship on which day. Doesn't matter which, I guess, but the bottom line is Lahania may be more crowded than usual both days as well as other touristy places on the island. The good news is that I didn't find any other ships scheduled at any of our other stops for the rest of the cruise. Anyway, we plan a beach trip on Monday morning before we set sail for Hilo.

On Hilo, we plan to take the Volcano and Akaka Falls excursion offered by NCL. The excursion was originally titled Rainbow Falls but I read somewhere that due to some construction we go to Akaka Falls instead. The next day in Kona we plan another beach day.

On Kauai we are taking the Na Pali Explorer excursion the first day and we'll just do a bit of shopping the second day there as the ship leaves at 2p.

Our plane doesn't leave until 7p for the flight back to Houston so we are going to Pearl Harbor after we disembark.

You're further along in your decision making than us for sure! By the way, congrats on 25 years of marriage! What a great way to celebrate (Hawaii). My DD and I will technically be celebrating our 10 year with this trip even though our actual anniversary falls in July. He has a work conference to attend in Honolulu after the cruise, so that made this trip a must-do during this time.

I don't think I'll make plans for when we arrive either as I'm not sure about the jet lag. We'll be coming from Texas as well, DFW. I think I've been reading that it's acceptable to board the POA around noon? That's our plan at least. Thanks for passing along the info on the ships that are in port. It's nice to know we may have most of the stops to ourselves.

I'd really really love to work in that luau on Maui, but I suspect with our desire to drive the Road to Hana the first day, it just won't work logistically. I'm considering another luau on Kauai called Smith Family I believe. I've heard great things about that one. Otherwise, we're looking at either Chief's or Paradise Cove on Oahu.

I should look into the Hilo excursion you mentioned through the ship. I figure Volcano Nat'l Park will be a must. I'd like to find transport for that day versus renting a vehicle. Kona, I'm considering renting something for that day if it's doable and touring a coffee plantation. We're a bit obsessed with a good cup of joe..

Is the Na Pali Explorer excursion you mention through the ship? I'd really like to take that in, either via small boat or by small plane. I have a friend who has spent a decent amount of time on Kauai recommend the north shore. Ke'e Beach and the Kalalai trail which is a portion of hiking on the Na Pali coast off of Ke'e beach. Hanalei town is also in the north shore area and comes recommended, so we might try to scope that area out.

Did you book Pearl Harbor on disembarkation day through NCL or on your own? We did our own but aren't sure on transportation due to having our luggage..sure looking forward to this trip!

It's nice that y'all can piggy back the cruise along with the work conference!

I checked and boarding in Honolulu begins at noon.

We did book through NCL on both the Na Pali and Pearl Harbor excursions. You can read about both on the NCL website. There is also a video on YouTube about the Na Pali trip. You are in a Zodiac boat and you are very close to the shoreline and actually go through some caves and arches along the coast.

According to what I've read, the Pearl Harbor tour allows you to take (or store) your luggage along and, once the tour is done, everything and everyone heads for the airport. Since our flight doesn't leave until 7pm so that works out good for us. I have also heard about the Smith Luau so I'm sure it's fine, too. We picked the Old Lahania luau on my cousins recommendation so if it's a bust, he'll hear from me!

Since we have a car in Maui we've thought about the Road to Hana and possibly adjusting our car pickup and drop off times but I've heard it's a long drive and I don't wanna be too tuckered out for the luau.

My wife and I aren't big coffee fans so the coffee plantation tour, while interesting, just isn't our thing. However, my sister and her hubby might be interested so they may talk us into coming along. I think I mentioned that they will be on the cruise with us but if I didn't, they are! Our cabins are side by side on deck 8. I asked about removing the barrier between our balconies but was told that due to fire restrictions, we can't. It's hard to believe that the little gate-like thing could deter fire but rules are rules, I guess.

20 days to go!!

Hawaii is an easy itinerary to see and do a lot with rental cars. I go to Hawaii a couple times every year, and have been on the NCL ships over 10 times.

Only as an alternative, but those listing the Volcano National Park, Waimea Canyon, above and taking the ship tours, are going to be paying multiple times more what a car rental would be and will be seeing the least. All of these tours are basic, with the opportunity for superior experiences going independent.

Also with Old Lahaina Luau, should be well prepared for having to use the alternative parking at the dock, since it's common for the convenient lots to be full. Tickets are going to be given out, if you aren't in compliance. Also with free unlimited booze at the Luau, don't even take a chance with DWI. I've seen police out, stopping cars, on the routes you will be taking. If you are turning in the car that night, the shuttle buses are over, so, be prepared for taking a taxi back to the ship.

If going independent is the plan, the Revealed books are excellent references. I also like Fodor's Hawaii and Frommer's Hawaii. Try your library for a copy.

He recommends the Old Lahania Luau on Maui. We've reserved a rent car and we plan to drive there from the cruise ship on Sunday afternoon (about 25 miles)...the luau begins at 6p,

This is a great luau, we loved it. Get there early, there are things to do while you wait.

We had a rental car and drove the old hwy 30, the north and west route around the island back to the ship. It was amazing......though it is very narrow at some points and lots of blind corners. Note, most of the rental car companies will tell you that you are not allowed to drive it in their car. :eek: the biggest issue was some of the 1-1.5 lane areas where we met an oncoming vehicle. One car would be against the rock cliff while the other car had its tires on the edge of the cliff. There are no rails to keep you from going over in some spots. It takes a WHOLE lot longer than you expect. It's easy going at first, nice 2-lane. About half way back is where the road changes.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

Hawaii is an easy itinerary to see and do a lot with rental cars. I go to Hawaii a couple times every year, and have been on the NCL ships over 10 times.

Only as an alternative, but those listing the Volcano National Park, Waimea Canyon, above and taking the ship tours, are going to be paying multiple times more what a car rental would be and will be seeing the least. All of these tours are basic, with the opportunity for superior experiences going independent.

Also with Old Lahaina Luau, should be well prepared for having to use the alternative parking at the dock, since it's common for the convenient lots to be full. Tickets are going to be given out, if you aren't in compliance. Also with free unlimited booze at the Luau, don't even take a chance with DWI. I've seen police out, stopping cars, on the routes you will be taking. If you are turning in the car that night, the shuttle buses are over, so, be prepared for taking a taxi back to the ship.

If going independent is the plan, the Revealed books are excellent references. I also like Fodor's Hawaii and Frommer's Hawaii. Try your library for a copy.

Thanks for the advice...I will do more checking! I am the only one of my party that wants to do more stuff with rental cars without involving NCL but I've been outvoted on all but the luau. I've tried to point out that with the ship staying overnight in most of the stops, we don't have to worry too much about being left behind on Maui and Kauai. With the exception of the Na Pali trip, everything we've selected is $100 or less so not a huge deal.

Aloha!

You're further along in your decision making than us for sure! By the way, congrats on 25 years of marriage! What a great way to celebrate (Hawaii). My DD and I will technically be celebrating our 10 year with this trip even though our actual anniversary falls in July. He has a work conference to attend in Honolulu after the cruise, so that made this trip a must-do during this time.

I don't think I'll make plans for when we arrive either as I'm not sure about the jet lag. We'll be coming from Texas as well, DFW. I think I've been reading that it's acceptable to board the POA around noon? That's our plan at least. Thanks for passing along the info on the ships that are in port. It's nice to know we may have most of the stops to ourselves.

I'd really really love to work in that luau on Maui, but I suspect with our desire to drive the Road to Hana the first day, it just won't work logistically. I'm considering another luau on Kauai called Smith Family I believe. I've heard great things about that one. Otherwise, we're looking at either Chief's or Paradise Cove on Oahu.

I should look into the Hilo excursion you mentioned through the ship. I figure Volcano Nat'l Park will be a must. I'd like to find transport for that day versus renting a vehicle. Kona, I'm considering renting something for that day if it's doable and touring a coffee plantation. We're a bit obsessed with a good cup of joe..

Is the Na Pali Explorer excursion you mention through the ship? I'd really like to take that in, either via small boat or by small plane. I have a friend who has spent a decent amount of time on Kauai recommend the north shore. Ke'e Beach and the Kalalai trail which is a portion of hiking on the Na Pali coast off of Ke'e beach. Hanalei town is also in the north shore area and comes recommended, so we might try to scope that area out.

Did you book Pearl Harbor on disembarkation day through NCL or on your own? We did our own but aren't sure on transportation due to having our luggage..sure looking forward to this trip!

Anyone with the POA in their future should check out the Hawaii Board in the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic. Lots of specific info there.

Whoever has the aft facing cabin, you will love it. We had one on the POA in August. Great view, quiet and no vibrations.

Re VNP in Hilo, check out Mary Lou's Big Island Tours on the Hawaii Board and also on Trip Advisor. Great reviews. We did it and recommend it highly. Very reasonable small (6 people max) family (owner) led tours of VNP and includes many other attractions such as Rainbow Falls. A full day tour. We only booked 3 tours on this cruise and this was one of them. Booked none through the ship. All other days were in rental cars, especially in Maui and Kaui where you overnight and you just park by the ship. You can easily drive to anything you want to see. You can fit in so much more, and go where YOU want to go.

If I can answer any questions, let me know.

Edited by punkincc

Hello all,

We're planning a family vacation on Pride of America in May 2015 and my previous cruise experiences are balcony cabins on Princess and Holland America. From what I've read, I'm expecting a few differences, but nothing major. Since the message boards are SO helpful, I would love a better idea of what to expect so I can prepare in advance. If you have cruised on Pride of America previously, could you tell me:

• Mid-ship balcony or Aft balcony (deck 9)? Are there really noticeable vibrations in the Aft rooms? Is the motion more noticeable?
  • I can't find any information about purchasing beer or spirits for the room in advance. For example, purchasing a bottle of vodka or 6 pack of beer for the room. Can you do it?
  • Can I pack juice in my suitcase and bring it on board? I'm traveling with two small kids (5 and 3) and they don't drink soda. Can I bring juice in the suitcase or snacks for the room like crackers or gummy fruit snacks? I didn't see anything about juices offered at dinners - only sodas and I didn't find anything on the NCL site.
  • How do you suggest keeping your room key handy? Can you recommend a useful lanyard or carry bag?
  • If anyone has been on this ship with small children, I'd love to talk with you to get your helpful hints and suggestions (kids club, excisions with kids, easy access beaches from the port).

Thank you all so much! Looking forward to an amazing vacation with friends and family!

We had an Aft balcony on deck 9... 9200. No vibrations noticed at all & the balcony was HUGE! There was more than enough room for the two chaise lounges, two chairs & cocktail table. We had four adults (two with camera tripods) at the railing for the Na Pali coast sail by and still weren't bumping elbows.

As mentioned above, due to Hawaii's liquor laws, the usual offerings for drink packages are nonexistent... although the beer buckets are available and there was a Bar Manager's wine package listed in the Freestyle Daily. Of course the drink special of the day was also available as well.

The only port with easy access to a beach was Kailua-Kona, with a small beach adjacent to the pier where you tender in.

Can't answer any questions regarding kids... sorry.

Also easy access to the beach at Kalapacki Bay about 2 blocks from the ship in Kauai. You can walk it or take the shopping shuttle from the ship. There are shops and restaurants which back up to the beach. Lots of shade and grass. There is a Mariott with a Dukes Restaurant and Beach Bar there. A good place to spend the last morning if you have nothing else planned since it's a short day with the Na Pali Coast sail by that afternoon.

punkincc, does the pride of America use a "credit card key"? I've sailed Princess, their room key is linked to our acct.. didn't need to carry cash. Also, do the balcony rooms have bedside table or lamp? should we take a plug strip for charging electronics?

We are sailing August. Thanks for any on onboard tips?! I enjoyed reading your tips for Hilo. We will check out Mary Lou's island tours[emoji4]

punkincc, does the pride of America use a "credit card key"? I've sailed Princess, their room key is linked to our acct.. didn't need to carry cash. Also, do the balcony rooms have bedside table or lamp? should we take a plug strip for charging electronics?

We are sailing August. Thanks for any on onboard tips?! I enjoyed reading your tips for Hilo. We will check out Mary Lou's island tours[emoji4]

Yes, your room key will be linked to your account. No need for cash unless you want to tip a bartender or someone a little cash. As I recall, the bedside tables were very tiny. There are lots of lighting options. I believe there was a reading lamp either on the wall or headboard area. We did not need a plug strip just for our phone and camera, but I know some people do not travel without them. We went in August as well. Fantastic weather. No rain, but we just missed two Hurricanes back to back not long before we sailed. Rare, so don't worry and it did not affect our cruise at all.

Ship tip: the best one I have is for the Aloha Lanai, same deck as the Buffet. Walk all the way through the buffet toward the aft and you will pass the entry for Moderno before exiting through the doors to the Lanai. Moderno restaurant has windows that look out on the Lanai. This area is fantastic anytime. Very quiet and relaxing compared to the buffet itself. Great place for sailaway. You can make plates at the buffet for any meal and carry it out to the Lanai where there are tables. Moderno is also set up for breakfast so it is very easy to get your omlet or whatever in there and bring it out, or eat in there if you like. I suspect it is set up in there for a modified lunch as well, but I don't think we were ever aboard for lunch. The Lanai is covered so lots of shade and a fantastic view and always a soft breeze. There are also very comfy curved couches and chairs to relax in. It has soft lighting after dark and there is a bar. A couple times there was a guitarist or someone doing Hawaiian music. Great spot for sailaway from the Big Island of Hawaii as you follow the coast for quite a while. You can spot some of the volcanoes. Wish we could have spent more time here.

If I can answer anymore questions, let me know.

Great answers by all on this thread.

We just sailed the POA on 4 March. We had an port side balcony cabin near the aft (7648) and did not feel much vibration. We had some motion based on the sea size, but it was much more stable than the front of the ship.

Fruit juice is available on the ship all day. You shouldn't have to bring any, but I don't think it would be an issue if you did.

We also brought an extension cord for phones and ipads. The only outlet we found was by the desk/mirror. We did not see an outlet near the bed.

We also really liked the Aloha Lanai. We spent a lot of time there in the morning and in the evening.

Mike

Carnival Fascination, 5-day Caribbean cruise, April 2011

NCL Pride of America, 7-day Hawaiian Islands cruise, March 2015

• 3 months later...