car rental in Maui,Kona and Kauai

casperbks

most players have shuttle buses that pick you up at the docks, and later drop you off again.

we used enterprise in Maui, hired a 5 seater SUV (GMC Terrain LTX) for $199.

we used enterprise again in Hilo, hired another 5 seater SUV (Chevy Captiva) for $139

we didn't hire a car in Kona as we were told there wasn't much value in it.

we used Alamo in Kauai, hired a minivan (Chrysler Town & Country) for $129

hope this helps?

Cheers,

Matt

Can only speak from experience in Kauai. In October we rented through Avis with easy pickup at the pier for $43 for the day. I can't remember if we booked through Costco or Discount Hawaii - check both and compare prices. We got a similar price in Hilo but you don't mention stopping there. In Kona there's a rental agency in the Marriott King Kim hotel right at the end of the pier, think it might be Dollar. That one is usually expensive as they have a limited number of cars and high demand on ship days.

For many discussions about this topic, click on the 'Search this Forum' box in the top right corner of the Hawaii board page, type in 'car rentals' and you'll find many threads with lots of good information.

Edited by Kartgv

You may need to do a little more research into the situation in Kailua Kona. There are two options for car rental there, the airport or the King Kamehameha Hotel. It is Thrifty at the King Kam Hotel. I seem to recall that there are no shuttles for the airport location, which is more remote than that location in the other ports. A taxi may be required and it would be more time consuming due to the distance.

I know I have seen many recommendations that you can save time by renting at the King Kamehameha Hotel which I believe is very close to the cruise dock. I do see that option on their website for Kona, and it is indicated "for cruise ship passengers". I don't know if they have a shuttle or if it is walkable from the dock.

The King Kamehameha Hotel in Kona is right there at the dock. Just steps from where the tender drops you off. No need for a shuttle or taxi. The beach behind the King Kam is used by many cruisers for a quick dip. Renting your car at the hotel would be the best choice.

In hindsight I regret not renting a car in Kona, we should have had our own car in Kona.

I read reviews on here, saying the day is short and its not worth it to have a car and that was the wrong advice for me.

We were down on the gang way at 7 45 ish. It said we need to go and get tickets to get off the ship, we did that, but it was not nessaccary when you get off that early, no one checked our tickets, as there were no line up. In hind sight that was a waste of our time to go get the tickets.

We were on dry land at 8:05 am. The day in Kona is well worth it to have a car.

There is lots to see on Kona, I wish we had a car, easy driving. Even if you have to get a cab to the airport, I think its about a 15 mins drive to pick up at the airport. Cabs were readily available at the dock. We like to rent from National as they are incredibly super fast to get you into your car and on your way. We had a nasty experience recently with Thrifty, so hubbie said never renting with Thrifty again. I know they are at the dock in the hotel there.

The last ferry to the ship is at 5 pm... and we were on the ferry at 4 45 ish not a long line up either to get back to the ship. Easily do able with a car rental in Kona.

I would not waste a probable $50 round trip taxi fare to the airport rentals for the privilege of booking with a particular rental company ( assuming they do not send shuttles ) when I can just walk across the road from the port and get a car. This $$ amount based on what it cost us to go by taxi to catch our snorkel trip about 20 minutes away.

We booked with Thrifty in Hawaii. Joined their loyalty program so we could get the priority line. They were fast and efficient and we had no complaints.

Fitnessmouse

Yes, that's the right hotel. They have Dollar for sure ... and although they say Hertz, when you click on the link on the hotel's website for rental cars, it takes you to the Dollar site, and if you look on Hertz's website, they don't have a location at King Kam Hotel ... so if you want Hertz, I'd call the hotel and inquire.

Another option - Enterprise is less than a mile away and half the price of Dollar at the King Kam ... I'd consider spending a few dollars on a cab there and back and save yourselves about $40. Here's a map with directions to Enterprise. If you rent from them, I think there's a bit of savings if you book through Discount Hawaii Car Rental (which is a reputable broker for rental cars in Hawaii.)

• 2 weeks later...
Fitnessmouse

Yes, that's the right hotel. They have Dollar for sure ... and although they say Hertz, when you click on the link on the hotel's website for rental cars, it takes you to the Dollar site, and if you look on Hertz's website, they don't have a location at King Kam Hotel ... so if you want Hertz, I'd call the hotel and inquire.

Another option - Enterprise is less than a mile away and half the price of Dollar at the King Kam ... I'd consider spending a few dollars on a cab there and back and save yourselves about $40. Here's a map with directions to Enterprise. If you rent from them, I think there's a bit of savings if you book through Discount Hawaii Car Rental (which is a reputable broker for rental cars in Hawaii.)

Thanks for this advice! Wow - the prices at King Kamehameha is double that of Enterprise!!!

Fitnessmouse

Enterprise used to have a shuttle. We called them at 8am when they opened and they were there 15 minutes later--we met the shuttle under the banyon tree. You might want to call and see about the shuttle.