Sprint LTE service at Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan

Photo_Traveler

I noticed that all of the ports appeared to be "roaming" stops. How bad is the financial bite for using data services from the phone? We have 24 x 7 wifi on the ship. But, it would be good to send the occasional photo.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To clarify.... which cruise ship are going on?

In general with time based wifi.... it works best and most efficiently at midnight and before breakfast in the morning.

I appreciate your response. Looks like I was not clear. Ships Wifi is fine and it would take a dire emergency for me to use shipboard roaming. My question was about additional charges for land based LTE roaming in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.

We are on the Solstice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll rework my question: :)

1). Is 4GL cell service available in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau?

2). If 4GL cell service is available can Sprint customers access it?

3). What (if any) roaming charges are incurred?

Again, Thank you for your response.

I contacted sprint with this question as was told that if I have roaming included on my plan I would be covered. This included data as well. Text messages would cost $.20 each though. I am okay receiving a text message but I can not respond or I would be charged. I would double check with sprint to make sure as each plan is different.

I am curious about this as well we have Sprint and I have an "unlimited" plan that includes data roaming. I've looked at coverage maps and it's still hard to determine so I am planning a visit to my local sprint store to get more info. I'll post what I learn as well

We cruise in September - hitting Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC. We also have Sprint. Would love to hear what you find out.

I suppose I could go to my local Sprint store, but since you're already planning to go and I'm lazy......LOL ;p

Great Info! It sounds like I'm not alone in having the Sprint concerns. There wasn't anything definitive on the net...

Juneau: http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/ak/juneau/page1.html

Skagway: http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/ak/Skagway/page1.html :-(

Ketchikan: http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/ak/Ketchikan/page1.html :-(

I found the information above. Some of the posts are fairly old. It's hard to say if they are still accurate.

This Disney post is more positive. https://www.disboards.com/threads/cell-phones-on-alaskan-cruises.3514249/

I'll be looking forward to updates.

Thank You!

Mike

When we were in Alaska last time I don't believe we even the picking up a roaming signal. But that seems pretty impossible. Everyone who had AT&T was using their phones. I do like to be able to get away but at the same time with the way life is today. It's unreasonable to not be able to use your phone. I previously looked at the Sprint coverage map and I had no idea what I was even looking at LOL it looks like maybe you can Roam in all those towns. I didn't know there was such a thing as a data roaming included in your plan. We also have the unlimited everything. I know I've been hit with roaming charges. We're going to be gone for 14 days since we are doing Anchorage first and then lamd portion. So by the time I get to Ketchikan or Skagway I'm probably going to want to check in back home.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

We have Sprint (unlimited roaming) and have just completed a week in Anchorage, Girdwood, Homer, Seward and now Whittier. We could text and call almost everywhere on the Kenai Penninsula. No data available though and on "roam" the entire time. Waited until we hit hotels to use WiFi. And yes we are set up for data roaming... We had better data coverage in Europe!

Please remember to call and add free "open world" to your Sprint plan for calling, text and data in Canada. You will cross over in Skagway and Vancouver

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We have Sprint (unlimited roaming) and have just completed a week in Anchorage, Girdwood, Homer, Seward and now Whittier. We could text and call almost everywhere on the Kenai Penninsula. No data available though and on "roam" the entire time. Waited until we hit hotels to use WiFi. And yes we are set up for data roaming... We had better data coverage in Europe!

Please remember to call and add free "open world" to your Sprint plan for calling, text and data in Canada. You will cross over in Skagway and Vancouver

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Just wanted to jump in and mention that Sprint no longer offers the Open World plan. Here is a copy & paste from their website:

Last Updated:
Apr 18, 2017

Sprint Open World
Sprint Open World is no longer available for purchase. If you are currently signed up, you can continue to use it. However, if you choose to remove Sprint Open World, it cannot be added back to your account.

Sprint Open World offers free calling, texting, and 1GB of data when traveling in Canada, Mexico, and most other countries across Latin America.

In addition, calling from the US to Canada and Mexico is included at no additional charge as well as discounts to other destinations.

The Open World plan is now replaced by Global Roaming (I believe). Here is some info on Global Roaming:

Services available in featured destinations:

• 20¢ per minute
    • Free text
    • Free data up to 2G speeds

While Sprint no longer offers the Open World plan, this is what I found:

Sprint Open World is no longer available for purchase. If you are currently signed up, you can continue to use it. However, if you choose to remove Sprint Open World, it cannot be added back to your account.

It seems if you signed up for it prior, you can still use it. However, since most of Alaska appears to be roaming............

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got back from a Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway cruise using Sprint with the Open World plan and while we did get roaming signals at each stop, I'm not sure that roaming data was actually available. Service was spotty and slow. Never really got the opportunity to test data while I was off the ship. On board, we just used ship's wi-fi