Disembarking the QE in Soton and Embarking the QM2 the Same Day

ricki

I did this sort of thing two years ago ( i.e. transferred from one Cunard ship to another)

My experience; I was given colour coded luggage tags, identified my luggage in the terminal building which was then put onto a van and transferred to another (Cunard) cruise terminal and awaiting ship.

I/we had the offer of transport to the next ship for check-in, however, would have had to wait for other guests to identify their luggage and join transport. Decided to walk over to the new cruise terminal and grab a bit of fresh air.

Things may have changed by 2018. Cunard will advise you of your arrangements during your cruise/voyage .. Far tooooooo early to worry about it, worry about you are going to pack.;)

In 2008, about six of us transferred from the QE2 to the QM2. Cunard arranged for three taxis to take us to the other pier. I believe our bags traveled with us in the cabs, but they may have been transported separately. It wasn't until the day before or so that we were made aware of the details.

What was especially fun for us was that afternoon in Southampton was when the Queen came aboard to bid farewell to the QE2 as part of a special luncheon. As we were waiting for our cabs, the black cabs and cars were pulling up and disgorging the hoi-polloi guests with the ladies in drop-dead hats. (No sights of the Queen)

Edited by MarkBearSF

We have done this several times after taking the WC of the QE or QV, the latest one being this year, and the luggage was transported exactly as Bell Boy stated above. There were quite a few passengers transferring to the QM2 and Cunard had several buses ready to take people to the QM2's pier at no cost. Lots of Cunard people there to give you directions to the luggage truck and the bus.

In the recent past (early 2000s), Cunard used to offer a complementary shore excursion to fill the time, rather than having passengers sitting and waiting in a terminal. Apparently, they have cut this luxury as well.

My experience in 2016 (beginning of the World Cruise) was exactly the same as Bell Boy. There's plenty to do in Southampton. I'd start with recommending the Aviation Museum.

Roy