.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Well, color me shocked and appalled. Not to mention stunned and speechless.

Shocked and appalled ! .........a bit harsh of you old chap, is'nt it.

You obviously have had a sheltered life my friend. Ho hum hears lots of people fly Economy. Never tried it yourself then ? Bet you have. Come on admit it.

Stunned and speechless !.........well look on the bright side, at least it had some positive effect !

Haha. Just kidding.

Shocked and appalled ! .........a bit harsh of you old chap, is'nt it.

You obviously have had a sheltered life my friend. Ho hum hears lots of people fly Economy. Never tried it yourself then ? Bet you have. Come on admit it.

Stunned and speechless !.........well look on the bright side, at least it had some positive effect !

Haha. Just kidding.

Of course, I have flown Economy many times. At least, that's what I recall....

My comment was meant to convey my shock, etc. that ho-hum who hails from the "posh part" of the UK and whose taste in all things travel (and otherwise) tends toward, shall we say, the posh would ever have been forced to turn to the right at the end of the jetway when boarding a commercial airliner. Oh well, I guess that stranger things have happened although I'm not entirely certain just what they might be.....

And finally, as you can see for better or worse, the speechless part was a very temporary affliction.

Cheers.

Of course, I have flown Economy many times. At least, that's what I recall.... airliner. Oh well, I guess that stranger things have happened although I'm not entirely certain just what they might be.....

And finally, as you can see for better or worse, the speechless part was a very temporary affliction.

Cheers.

And we are so grateful for the very temporary period (of speechlessness).

Kristen died on Friday, 4 April, 2014.

Daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Bob Lepisto (President of Sea Dream), sister of Brooke & Heather.

A beautiful soul and charming young lady.

This is a tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family as well as the Sea Dream family (who loved her).

The Mumbai - Athens trip is rapidly approaching.

Ho hum loves Sea Days and the passenger count is expected to be sooooo low (if the Athens - Mumbai trip is anything to go by).

Rajasthan for a week first.

Love Rajasthan. The best of India.

A dry heat (40 degrees) but with no humidity and sooooooo quiet (except travelling on the roads. How they have improved since ho hum was first in India though (no, not with Clive: cheeky !)).

If you failed to grasp the Clive reference, then Google "Clive of India" there comes a limit to how much "dumbing down" of these posts, ho hum will go.

Oh and how ho hum loves Indian breads, dahls, curries, pickles, chutneys, lassis (no, not a drink for dogs) ........mmmmmmmm.

Now after ho hum reported that once in the distant past he flew Economy which caused such shock to ctbjr1309.

The next bit of news may just send ctbjr1309 into "apoplexy" (loss of bodily function, in particular, the........yes, that's the one or two !).

Ho hum will be staying in a tent ! Yes under canvas !

Next edition: Tent basics

Now after ho hum reported that once in the distant past he flew Economy which caused such shock to ctbjr1309.

The next bit of news may just send ctbjr1309 into "apoplexy" (loss of bodily function, in particular, the........yes, that's the one or two !).

I am quite happy to report that this news flash has caused me no apoplexy. Having stayed in tents myself, I am quite well aware that there are a very wide variety of tents. Among others, there are camping tents, there are circus tents and there are, of course, marvelously chi chi (dare I say posh) tents that are quite suitable for ho-hum and his traveling companion.

I will be looking forward to Tent basics but meanwhile party on dude!

The Mumbai - Athens trip is rapidly approaching.

Ho hum loves Sea Days and the passenger count is expected to be sooooo low (if the Athens - Mumbai trip is anything to go by).

Rajasthan for a week first.

Love Rajasthan. The best of India.

A dry heat (40 degrees) but with no humidity and sooooooo quiet (except travelling on the roads. How they have improved since ho hum was first in India though (no, not with Clive: cheeky !)).

If you failed to grasp the Clive reference, then Google "Clive of India" there comes a limit to how much "dumbing down" of these posts, ho hum will go.

Oh and how ho hum loves Indian breads, dahls, curries, pickles, chutneys, lassis (no, not a drink for dogs) ........mmmmmmmm.

Looking forward to more jottings. We are totally with you on the dahls, curries, etc. The secondary reason for visiting England (the primary being beer--well maybe family too) is good Indian food. Having never been to India, I just know it is better in England than in Arizona.:eek: A favourite is not too far from the Posh Part in Stoke Bruerne. The Spice of Bruerne Restaurant really did it for us. Now, about this tent business.......

Why the interest in a tent ctbjr1309 and Jim ?!!

OK: they are described as:

"....features 10 luxury tents identical in style, each set on a raised concrete plinth. They echo the rich Moghul travelling tents of bygone days with ‘rooms’ separated by cotton drapes.

Constructed of canvas and supported by a steel frame, with interior walls and ceilings draped in fine cotton, each tent measures 108m².

Entry is through a screened area that contains an armchair, dining table and chairs.

There is also room to sit outside on the concrete deck.

The centre of the tent, with its soaring six-metre canopy, features an oversized daybed ideal for lounging.

Opening out from the central area are three sections for sleeping, bathing and dressing.

The bedroom area is fitted with a king-size bed flanked by twin writing desks.

The bathing area includes a shower, soaking tub and separate toilet, whilst the dressing area contains cupboards with closet space and twin vanities.

Each tent is air-conditioned and can also be heated depending on the season and time of day.

There is also a ceiling fan and a cooler chest for drinks."

Have you spotted the following omissions:

- plunge pool

- butler service

- afternoon tea service

- wifi

- cultural soirees

- type of transport for transfers

- regional Indian cooking

Ho hum will need to dash off an email straight away !

How standards have dropped since the days of the Raj !

Need to keep these tent-wallers on their toes, dont ya know.

Ho hum feels this camping (or "glamping" as it is trendily called these says by young, rich, clueless people in the Home Counties) is taking "going back to Nature" too far !

How will ho hum survive for 3 whole days.

Fortunately we return to the sister hotel (more imbued, one hopes) after this sojourn; one with actual solid walls and roof 'n all !

Just for ctbjr1309 and Jim (and all dear friends) there is a picture of the tent in the attachment.

Next editions:

- reply from tent waller to enquiries made by ho hum with further enquiries made by ho hum

- pictures: zqvol ! (not suitable for persons under 21 or people of a nervous disposition !)

- lecturers (Gyro-spiro): not forgotten

Had lunch at "Galvin at Windows" in London with chums yesterday.

Ho hum's favourite restaurant in the entire world !

On top floor of Hilton hotel, views over London's best bits.

Had two Aussie wines alongside their house Champagne (Beaumont de Crayeres).

- Chardonnay, Exmoor Drive, Xanadu Wines, Margaret River (chosen because guests were visiting this area soon)

- Cabernet Sauvignon, Parker, Terra Rossa, Coonawarra (recommended by Sommelier)

Sea Dreamers coming to London must try this restaurant.

image.jpg.9f751961f4e4aaff9ac2ecde178fdfec.jpg

Lets see, tents, last time in one what was the lasting impression? I remember, flies, mosquitos, scorpions:eek:, roaches, spiders, lizards (trying to feast on the above) mice, and snakes chasing the mice. Not to forget the rocks under the bed and the general miasma known as "tent funk". :eek::D

Ho-hum, what do you think about the guest lecturer for Mumbai-Athens (war history, London Underground)? I cringed a little inside I admit.

Ho hum has never been to a Sea Dream lecture in his life !

He also usually prefers to avoid:

- Club Director's cocktail "blah-blah"

- Captain's speeches (unless he is announcing that SD has a hit an iceberg or champagne is being rationed or something of that ilk !)

Fortunately, ho hum has never been touted for attendance.

But if he were, he is prepared.

Let me demonstrate: "are you coming to my lecture".

"No" said above normal conversation level and without amplification to basic enquiry.

Keep completely still maintaining eye contact and half-smile, crazy fashion, turning your head side to side within an un-comfortable distance from their face (like Jack Nicholson in "One flew over.....".

It will scare the "Be-jasus" out of the person and for the rest of the voyage, they will avoid you like the proverbial.

This is a good tip to avoid in lots of awkward social situations and always add something mildly in-appropriate to acceptable social values and norms.

But be very careful, the intended person to avoid may heartily agree with you. Ooops !

Yes, ho hum, my brothers in the supremacist/fascist/mysoginist group would love to meet you ! Yikes !

Added pressure is un-doubtedly increased when there are very few fellow victims/ passengers. There is probably no safety in numbers on this voyage. And desperate to maintain a warm and friendly persona, you feel a certain obligation. Well just dont ! It is your vacation. You are escaping social pressures of conformity and compliance: dont simply replace them.

Next edition: Lectures, Part 2.

I want the pictures:D:D:D

Due to the disturbing and graphic nature of the photos, ho hum has considered the impression this may have on the weak and feeble minded (the type that reads this thread) so it has been reduced to one photo.

But what a photo !

So FT, if ho hum does not receive a grovelling apology and the promise of a glass of champagne with you at the TOYB after your full choreographed routine "It's Raining Men" and sung, within the next 24 hours, then publish and be damned !

Now that's the kind of tent I would've liked to have stayed in on my one and only camping trip. Was at the NW200 about 20 years ago. Tent was pitched in the grounds of a 5 star hotel which Poppy quickly checked into after spending one night in the so called tent as she missed the bathroom bit!!! More like a Wendy House but a great weekend nonetheless.

Talking of bathrooms, Poppy's wet room decided it preferred to be downstairs recently and thought the lounge ceiling would look better on the floor, so the builders are busy here.

Thank you for the info on Emirates first (much appreciated) which we will more than likely book as Singapore only has business class on one of the legs there and back for almost double the cost and Emitates is first the whole way. :)

Has Mr. Ho-Hum ever been to Arizona? It came to mind (over a dram or two of vodka) that the lovely Arizona town of Carefree has a Ho Hum Road. Standing on the corner of Ho Hum Road, it strikes me as just too much of a coincidence.:eek: Even more disconcerting, Ho Hum Road meets Easy Street. Further investigation is necessary.:D

Edited by Jim Avery

Has Mr. Ho-Hum ever been to Arizona? It came to mind (over a dram or two of vodka) that the lovely Arizona town of Carefree has a Ho Hum Road. Standing on the corner of Ho Hum Road, it strikes me as just too much of a coincidence.:eek: Even more disconcerting, Ho Hum Road meets Easy Street. Further investigation is necessary.:D

Jim, how amazing is that !

Then ho hum thought to himself "just how many shots of vodka (not drams: this is a term for Scottish whisky only) has Jimmy boy had ?

So he Googled it. Wow it's true !

Ho hum Road meets Easy Street in a town called Carefree !!! Just love it.

Anywhere near "Big Rock Candy Mountain" ?

One of ho hum's favourite songs. First recorded by Harry McClintock in 1928 who claimed to have written the song in 1895, based on tales from his misspent youth hoboing through the United States.

Check out video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ftai12IOM&sns=em

Yes, ho hum's been all over Arizona and surrounding States.

This part of the States is a kind of home for ho hum.

Influenced as he was by cowboy films and his role models: John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Randolph Scott.

Another influence was Jim Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" and the film with Henry Fonda.

Love South-West Cuisine, Tex-Mex and Mexican food (with Dos Equis).

Could live in an adobe in New Mexico like another inspiration of ho hum's: the incredible artist Georgia O'Keeffe.

Who even in her 90's looked amazing. No, she looked her best !

See photo below (seated in front of one of her most famous paintings).

Stayed three nights at Rancho de la Osa Guest Ranch, Sasabe (where the Hollywood film stars were purported to have stayed: John Wayne etc..).

Met a lot of Mexicans getting into the US whilst ho hum was out horseriding: pitiable sight, hiding in shrub (gave them water).

Joan Baez's song "I pity the poor immigrant" is such a poignant song that expresses the desperation of their lives.

There is definitely a connection here bro' (if ho hum may use such an American colloquial term of endearment).

Anyone else live in the great SW States ?

image.jpg.249c674bf6c42f8089d3c5f676753238.jpg

Lyrics to "Big Rock Candy Mountain": ho hum just loves this guys sense of life.

One evening as the sun went down

And the jungle fires were burning,

Down the track came a hobo hiking,

And he said, "Boys, I'm not turning;

I'm headed for a land that's far away

Beside the crystal fountains

So come with me, we'll go and see

The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains,

There's a land that's fair and bright,

Where the handouts grow on bushes

And you sleep out every night.

Where the boxcars all are empty

And the sun shines every day

On the birds and the bees

And the cigarette trees

The lemonade springs

Where the bluebird sings

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

All the cops have wooden legs

And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth

And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs

The farmers' trees are full of fruit

And the barns are full of hay

Oh I'm bound to go

Where there ain't no snow

Where the rain don't fall

The winds don't blow

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

You never change your socks

And the little streams of alcohol

Come trickling down the rocks

The brakemen have to tip their hats

And the railway bulls are blind

There's a lake of stew

And of whiskey too

You can paddle all around them

In a big canoe

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains,

The jails are made of tin.

And you can walk right out again,

As soon as you are in.

There ain't no short-handled shovels,

No axes, saws nor picks,

I'm bound to stay

Where you sleep all day,

Where they hung the jerk

That invented work

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains ...

I'll see you all this coming fall

Now that's the kind of tent I would've liked to have stayed in on my one and only camping trip. Was at the NW200 about 20 years"............ich we will more than likely book as Singapore only has business class on one of the legs there and back for almost double the cost and Emitates is first the whole way. :)

OK, slowly the image is changing about you darling.

Ho hum is now seeing you as "posh bird" ! Ho hum's right, is'nt he ? Twin set and pearls ?

A "wet room" above the Lounge ? Wet Room ? You obviously had a small leak which dampened the plaster. And if the plaster came down then it is lath and plaster which suggests an old pad. Hmmmm. Insurance claim jobbie ? Any gadgets in the "wet room" ? Good shower ?

Do you have a long association with Singapore ? So many billionaires. Check out ho hum's exclusive club.

Why Singapore, Poppy darling ? Would really be interested (not being creepy),

Yes Emirates all the way. Singapore can get those prices because of the billionaires they have in Singapore. When are you going ? Holiday or work (big financial industry). Have chums out there ? Where do you eat ? Where are you staying ? Chums or hotel ?

Sorry Poppy so many questions.

Anybody else out there who lives, works, loves or hates Singapore ?

The things you learn from Sea Dreamers ! It is a treasure trove. So join in ! Yes your life experiences and values and musings are of so much interest.

Jim, how amazing is that !

Then ho hum thought to himself "just how many shots of vodka (not drams: this is a term for Scottish whisky only) has Jimmy boy had ?

So he Googled it. Wow it's true !

Ho hum Road meets Easy Street in a town called Carefree !!! Just love it.

Anywhere near "Big Rock Candy Mountain" ?

One of ho hum's favourite songs. First recorded by Harry McClintock in 1928 who claimed to have written the song in 1895, based on tales from his misspent youth hoboing through the United States.

Check out video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ftai12IOM&sns=em

Yes, ho hum's been all over Arizona and surrounding States.

This part of the States is a kind of home for ho hum.

Influenced as he was by cowboy films and his role models: John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Randolph Scott.

Another influence was Jim Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" and the film with Henry Fonda.

Love South-West Cuisine, Tex-Mex and Mexican food (with Dos Equis).

Could live in an adobe in New Mexico like another inspiration of ho hum's: the incredible artist Georgia O'Keeffe.

Who even in her 90's looked amazing. No, she looked her best !

See photo below (seated in front of one of her most famous paintings).

Stayed three nights at Rancho de la Osa Guest Ranch, Sasabe (where the Hollywood film stars were purported to have stayed: John Wayne etc..).

Met a lot of Mexicans getting into the US whilst ho hum was out horseriding: pitiable sight, hiding in shrub (gave them water).

Joan Baez's song "I pity the poor immigrant" is such a poignant song that expresses the desperation of their lives.

There is definitely a connection here bro' (if ho hum may use such an American colloquial term of endearment).

Anyone else live in the great SW States ?

I Knew it! It just had to be. No one would name a street such unless it was named for the most distinguished visitor to the Grand Canyon State. And a fun spot it is. As far as misappropriating "dram", I was trying to appear more genteel. Even shots connotes excess. Lets just call it a smidgen or two of vodka. Sounds much more refined than how I might have stated it when living back in the South of the US. Then I might have referred to it as: "Man, I had me a buttload of vodka last night".:eek: Thankfully, I am now out West where you might hear: "Yippeekiyyaaay! Podner, I had me a skin full of vodka last night".:D

Due to the disturbing and graphic nature of the photos, ho hum has considered the impression this may have on the weak and feeble minded (the type that reads this thread) so it has been reduced to one photo.

But what a photo !

So FT, if ho hum does not receive a grovelling apology and the promise of a glass of champagne with you at the TOYB after your full choreographed routine "It's Raining Men" and sung, within the next 24 hours, then publish and be damned !

Will since I am sure that my DW, FT is in said pictures I really think that you should share.

Only in the Valley of the Sun!

Only in the Valley of the Sun!

Right. All that sun, after a while, does get to you. I find myself sometimes wishing for a good old snow storm.:eek: Not!!:D As they say about the heat: "you don't have to shovel it".