Red Hook to 9/11 Memorial

I am not familiar with New York City at all, so please bear with me. We are sailing out of Red Hook on Princess in October. We would like to visit the 9/11 Memorial either pre or post cruise. Logistically, what would be the best way to accomplish this; and how far is it from the cruise port? We will probably be flying in and out of LGA, if that matters.

I am not familiar with New York City at all, so please bear with me. We are sailing out of Red Hook on Princess in October. We would like to visit the 9/11 Memorial either pre or post cruise. Logistically, what would be the best way to accomplish this; and how far is it from the cruise port? We will probably be flying in and out of LGA, if that matters.

Do you have a hotel pre or post cruise? Red Hook is in Brooklyn; the 9/11 Memorial is in lower Manhattan; LGA is in Queens. Not far away mileage wise, but with luggage that makes it another story.

Do you have a hotel pre or post cruise? Red Hook is in Brooklyn; the 9/11 Memorial is in lower Manhattan; LGA is in Queens. Not far away mileage wise, but with luggage that makes it another story.

Yes, luggage would probably be the issue. We were thinking of flying in the morning of the cruise and going directly to the port. Then post-cruise ideally visit the memorial and fly home late afternoon. Any luggage storage options you're aware of?

I'm not sure if it would be an option to check in our luggage early at the port pre-cruise (we could get a flight that arrives as early as 8 a.m.) go to visit the memorial, then back to ship in afternoon for sail away.

We may have to consider coming in the night before and visiting the memorial early before heading to the port, leaving luggage at hotel. Do you have a hotel recommendation that would make sense logistically?

Thank you!

Schwartz Luggage storage has two locations in mid-town Manhattan not so great for visiting World Trade Center site. They did have a location downtown but it closed and website says it will open soon.

They have a new JFK luggage storage with pickup service but don't know much about that and probably for larger items, check out their website.

http://www.schwartztravel.com/

I'm not familiar with the Red Hook pier at all so I don't know if the would accept your luggage at 8 am or not. Also what time is the all aboard? Then you know the memorial has timed entrance tickets. If you get a hotel in Brooklyn the night before you can easily take the subway to the memorial or even walk the Brooklyn Bridge over.

They should hop up to Yankee stadium and then take the ferry to SI and back. that way they can visit all 5 boroughs in one day. :D

I'm not familiar with the Red Hook pier at all so I don't know if the would accept your luggage at 8 am or not. Also what time is the all aboard? Then you know the memorial has timed entrance tickets. If you get a hotel in Brooklyn the night before you can easily take the subway to the memorial or even walk the Brooklyn Bridge over.

This sounds like the most logical option. I will start looking at hotels for the night before our cruise, planning the 9/11 memorial the following morning, leaving luggage at hotel.

We visited the 9/11 Memorial last Oct and booked online for our reservations, if you planning on visiting the Museum. We spent close to 2.5 hours in the Museum with the 3 levels I think it was. if you only going to see the Memorial and Fountains with all the names, then no Reservations needed. We stayed in Newark at the Path Hilton and took the train right to the WTC.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I don't know if our plan is a good one or not, but we booked the World Center Hotel (I think it was about $250) for the night before our cruise. Flight comes into LGA at noon so we booked reservations online and printed out tickets for the Tower at 5:00 p.m. to be a little on the safer side. This is for Aug. 6th with cruise on Aug. 7th. out of Manhattan Pier.

I don't know if our plan is a good one or not, but we booked the World Center Hotel (I think it was about $250) for the night before our cruise. Flight comes into LGA at noon so we booked reservations online and printed out tickets for the Tower at 5:00 p.m. to be a little on the safer side. This is for Aug. 6th with cruise on Aug. 7th. out of Manhattan Pier.

Your plans are fine, 250 is a good price for Manhattan ( I prefer staying midtown) I hope you will visit museum also, you are also walking distance to Trinty church, Frances tavern and Wall st. We have done museum and will take the elevator up in exactly 2 weeks, I heard that elevator ride was amazing, was on top of old World trade center some 25 years ago and worked in the area when original Towers were built.

Your plans are fine, 250 is a good price for Manhattan ( I prefer staying midtown) I hope you will visit museum also, you are also walking distance to Trinty church, Frances tavern and Wall st. We have done museum and will take the elevator up in exactly 2 weeks, I heard that elevator ride was amazing, was on top of old World trade center some 25 years ago and worked in the area when original Towers were built.

Thanks for that reassurance, George. We are from the Chicagoland area, but my daughter lives near Red Bank, NJ and we have ferried over to the city from her house (NJ Highlands) but have never been to Freedom Tower before. For sure we will visit the museum and look for the other places you have suggested!

Thanks for that reassurance, George. We are from the Chicagoland area, but my daughter lives near Red Bank, NJ and we have ferried over to the city from her house (NJ Highlands) but have never been to Freedom Tower before. For sure we will visit the museum and look for the other places you have suggested!

You can pre-buy tickets to museum and elevator to top of tower at the time you want, I would do the guided tour for the museum it was very interesting