New Google Translate - anyone use yet?

slidergirl

I have had the Google Translate app for a couple of years. Helped me quite a bit - between it and Google Maps, I was able to drive myself between Rome and Florence with plenty of diversions to little towns in Umbria and Tuscany.

Now, the new iteration of Translate has the totally cool feature of using your smartphone/tablet camera function and focusing on a sign, menu, whatever, and getting an immediate translation of the content. The translation takes the place of the original wording on the sign. I've used it for fun at work, going from English to Italian. It's pretty fun to point at one of some of our signs at the hotel and see what that sign would be in Italian. It could prove helpful before my trip by pointing at various signs and stuff to get an idea of what it will be in Italy.

Has anyone used the new part of Translate on a trip? Did you think it was worthwhile? Just curious.

I recently discovered an awesome Travel app for my iPhone.

It is Word Lens, and it's free.

Instantly translate printed words with your phone’s camera!

Word Lens gives you translation on the go:

- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world.

- Easy to use, like the regular camera

- Look up translations by typing them in, or clicking on a word.

Check it out on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word...383463868?mt=8

Has anyone used the new part of Translate on a trip? Did you think it was worthwhile? Just curious.

I used the previous version in Europe last fall. It was a bit funky when using it on signs, but I would say it was worthwhile. The newest version likely works a bit better.

I like the translation feature where you can speak or type a phrase and hear or see that phrase translated. You can actually carry on a conversation with someone who speaks one of the many languages offered.

I recently discovered an awesome Travel app for my iPhone. It is Word Lens, and it's free.

Google has rolled Word Lens functionality into Google Translate. I don't believe Word Lens is still being developed as a separate app.

Click here for more Google Translate for iOS info...

Lew

I did see the voice option. I haven't played with that yet. I might try to use it with one of our new Butlers - he's Spanish, but works at our hotel in Venice. sometimes, our conversations get a little strange when I try to ask for something and he doesn't quite understand (and vise versa). It could be a very useful tool at a hotel where we get plenty of foreign guests!!

Edited by slidergirl

I'm going to have to look at these apps. At least I finally got a smartphone that will work in Europe.

It's not an app, but perhaps they have an app for it: I live the website Forvo, in which people (usually from the correct country!) have recorded their pronunciation of names and words. I hate mispronouncing place names and whatnot, so I've been using it to look up how to pronounce tourist attractions I'll be visiting.

Sure wish the narrator on that AWE TV program on cruise ships would use Forvo. I get so sick of all the things she mispronounces. She even mispronounces common English words, and no, she's not from the UK, Australia, etc. so I can't assume it's just her local dialect. For example, a terrace is "Ter-ASS" and Tallinn tonight was "Talon" (don't think that's correct), and the Schooner Bar ended up as "Shoe-ner Bar." It's painful and irritating to listen to her.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what a great app! Thanks slidergirl! I have not heard of this before. With our upcoming Mediterranean cruise, including 3 days in Barcelona pre-cruise, I think this will be fabulously useful. Just downloaded it now and having fun trying out my Spanish.

Wow, what a great app! Thanks slidergirl! I have not heard of this before. With our upcoming Mediterranean cruise, including 3 days in Barcelona pre-cruise, I think this will be fabulously useful. Just downloaded it now and having fun trying out my Spanish.

Not sure if you know this, they speak Catalan in Barcelona. Spanish is the one language I know some phrases and words and they don't use it there. Well, not as much, most use Catalan.

Not sure if you know this, they speak Catalan in Barcelona. Spanish is the one language I know some phrases and words and they don't use it there. Well, not as much, most use Catalan.

Thanks Melozone. I was aware they speak Catalan, and that locals especially appreciate it when you use it. I was under the impression that Castilian spanish would be understood as well at most places. Is that not correct? In any case, I've been trying to learn a few Catalan phrases as well.

Thanks Melozone. I was aware they speak Catalan, and that locals especially appreciate it when you use it. I was under the impression that Castilian spanish would be understood as well at most places. Is that not correct? In any case, I've been trying to learn a few Catalan phrases as well.

Yes, I think you are correct. I would think they teach both in school. I was really being silly about not being able to use the little I know.

I'm going in the beginning of June, if you go first you can let me know. I will likewise. :)

Yes, I think you are correct. I would think they teach both in school. I was really being silly about not being able to use the little I know.

I'm going in the beginning of June, if you go first you can let me know. I will likewise.

:)

I'm going in May, so I will post back about what I notice after wandering around Barcelona for three days. After planning this trip for a year, I can't believe it's almost here! :)

Sonia