Help with cruise selection please

lightsleeper

We really want to cruise from Rome to Venice with stops in Naples (for Pompeii) and Piraeus (for Athens)

We have found two cruises which do the above. One from Celebrity and one from Holland America.

The different ports are listed below and I'm asking what is the big difference between them

Have done some research but need more input to make decision and these boards are the authority. Would also like to hear your preference between the two

Celebrity : Catania, Sicily, Italy: Mykonos, Greece Kotor, Montenegro

Zadar, Croatia Koper, Slovenia

Holland America : Corfu, Greece: Kusadasi (Ephesus) Turkey

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece Dubrovnik, Croatia Split, Croatia

Both cruises stop in Santorini

thank you in advance for your replies

how are the port times for each? are you in port long enough to accomplish planned activities?

Do all the ports support your interests and activities? I was in a similar situation a few yrs ago so I made a list of sights and activities at each port and it became pretty clear which itinerary was a better match for me.

Which Celebrity ship? If it's an S Class, I'd pick that over any HAL ship. They are gorgeous. The ports are a toss up, I (surprisingly to myself) am not a big fan of the Greek islands but all the others sound great. I think four stops in Greece on the HAL ship is too many but that's just me.

the Celebrity ship is the Connie which we have been on previously

Havent found alot of info on Celebrity ports is why I am asking

Hal has overnight in Venice which is one less night in hotel and ship is Oosterdam

Leaning to Hal but want more info on Celebrity ports so can make best decision

Dubrovnik and Split would be the tiebreakers for me. Ephesus is bnot to be missed. I would pick the HAL itinerary in a heartbeat.

As for the Celebrity ports, the attraction of Catania would be an excursion to Taormina and, maybe Etna. Kotor is beautiful, but does not hold a candle to Dubrovnik. Zadar and Koper are minor scenic ports, but do not compare to HAL's selection. Mykonos is fine, more scenic than Corfu, but not enough to change my recommendation.

Edited by marazul

If you are interested in the ancient world, the Holland America itinerary offers far better ports. Ephesus alone is a must see, plus the chance to Olympia from Katakolon. Also Dubrovnik and Split are much better stops in Croatia than Zadar (although Zadar is also charming, but better for a second or third or fourth cruise....)

Having been to all the destinations on land trips I would choose the Celebrity itinerary, but that's just me and everybody is different.

I would write out a list of things to do and see in each of the ports of both cruises and then choose what appealed to me the most. I wouldn't choose my cruise by the ship, I would choose by the ports of call and my interests.

There is plenty of information on CC or Tripadvisor as to what is available in each place. The local tourist board websites are also helpful, so Google is your friend.

If you are interested in the ancient world, the Holland America itinerary offers far better ports. Ephesus alone is a must see, plus the chance to Olympia from Katakolon. ....)

Agreed 100%.

And your mention of Pompeii (there are plenty of alternatives from Naples) rather suggests that's where your interest lies.

But if the ancient world isn't your thing, you'll find Kusadasi and especially Katacolon are very very limited. They're on itineraries solely for Ephesus and Olympia. Add Athens & Pompeii and that might be ancient-world overload.

I think that's the big difference between the two itineraries.

Like Marazul I'd prefer Mykonos over Corfu, but it wouldn't be a game-changer for me.

The other HAL ports are on the well-worn Mediterranean routes - a pretty standard option. By contrast, some of the Celebrity ports are a little more unusual - but more likely to appeal to those who've "been there, done that" at the HAL ports.

In Europe, most folk consider the itinerary far more important than the ship or cruise line.

So heed mapleleaves' comment about port times. A half-day may limit you to taking a tour, perhaps even a ship's tour because of tight timings, rather than doing your own thing.

Can't advise which to choose but it should be a pretty simple choice, based on your desire to see ancient sights.

JB :)

While we LOVE Celebrity and have done 3 and have our 4th booked for a couple of weeks in the Mediterranean……. I would choose the HAL itinerary.

We have done 1 HAL cruise (in the Caribbean) and while the ship was gorgeous we didn't care for the "vibe" as it seemed the ship was pretty quiet at night…… but ! that wouldn't bother us for a Med cruise since we go-go-go during the day in the ports and don't really "party" at night anyway.

It truly is funny tho how different people see different places.

We thought Corfu was gorgeous - while Mykonos leaves us sorta "eh". We took an island tour of Corfu and it is very scenic - gorgeous coves along the water, stunning mountain views and charming Greek villages. The area of Corfu town is pretty neat too.

Whichever you do - it will be awesome ! Have fun

I haven't been to most of those places, so won't weigh in except to say that you need to make sure you have a good day in Santorini, as it is gorgeous, especially Oia. With tendering a good ways away, and then (possibly or probably) taking the cable car up and down the cliff, you'll probably not have enough time to really enjoy it if you only stop there, say, 8 to 1 or 2. I would try for an 8 to 5 or 6 schedule there.